muffler..?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

toyarmy

i need a muffler, for my car. i have a b16 in an eg coupe with 2.5" exhaust.

im tired of the loudness, so my question is, do the 'performance mufflers' really make numbers that much better, or could i get a gsr muffler and not loose power, but loose the noise?

thanx

"preformance mufflers" do nothing but piss off people, they way they sounds like ass. Why do you need just a muffler? Check to see if RSR seels just a muffler, I heard they are pretty quiet--people said the tanabe medallion was, but they fucking lied. Avoid all of the "bullet style" ones, they are usually the loudest.

prefomance mufflers will make a difference. I'll let u explain, take a straw and scrunch the end try and blow,hard to blow through. Now blow through a normal straw, easier. Same goes with ur exhaust. They will let your engine breathe better. If you don't want the sound you can buy a muffler with a silencer.

putting a silencer is the same as scrunching a straw up.

what kind of muffler do you have?

i had a muffler with a silencer. it was still pretty loud.

i could understand if i wanted to put a stock dx muffler on, but im asking about mufflers that come stock with b-series motors.

i feel as though im looking at the big exhaust bigger exhaust argument. and youd say a 3" exhaust is good for all motor.

right now, i have, well, let my try to explain, i HAD a 'fireball' style muffler, the middle came out so all there is is the canister. this causes my car to run like ass because theres no backpressure.

hence the reason i need a new muffler. id like a stock looking, cheap, quiet muffler.
if you wanna tell me 'performance' mufflers are so much better, give me proof, other than the straw theory.

thanx

you can get a integra muffler really cheap just go get one of those and see if you notice a difference besides sound.

what i found

the link is comparing a stock civic exhaust system to an apex 2.5" system.

all i need is the muffler, i have a 2.5" exhaust. i really dont think 20hp would come from the muffler alone.

but the muffler has lots to do with it. in a stock muffler the exaust has to travel around and around and threw little baffles that slow and restrict the exaust flow which would cause you to loose power.

well if you look at the second link, just kind of seeing what a stock exhaust system looks like internally, it kind of negates your 2.5" piping. Granted it's bigger but when it goes out through the muffler, it's just gonna be flowing in different directions before it finally comes out.

Originally posted by toyarmy@Nov 17 2003, 03:22 PM
what i found

the link is comparing a stock civic exhaust system to an apex 2.5" system.

all i need is the muffler, i have a 2.5" exhaust. i really dont think 20hp would come from the muffler alone.

here's a nice little muffler dyno comparison tests chart. the top row is the factory exhaust results. its toyota, but im sure a honda would have similar results. welcome back to the forums by the way! :) remember, the results are wheel horsepower (whp). horespower at the crank is probably another 3-5hp.

http://clubcelica.com/tech/dyno/exhausts/

louder = faster

simple as that, it you want power you need a big opening, if you put a 5" exhaust on an integra and bolt it to a stock muffler you arent gonna gain any power.

i would reccommend a Greddy EVO exhaust, they get you the most power with the least sound.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Nov 17 2003, 07:55 PM
louder = faster

simple as that, it you want power you need a big opening, if you put a 5" exhaust on an integra and bolt it to a stock muffler you arent gonna gain any power.

maybe im stupid. but i really dont think louder=faster.
i could take my exhaust off all together and its gonna be loud as hell, but its not gonna go a whole lot faster. what power i do gain is due to the fact that i have NO exhaust.
if you know anything about mufflers then you would know that the majority of the noise is due to resonators and they do nothing for power.

i understand about stock being restrictive, i realize this. but what im asking is how restrictive is it?

and also, will it fit?

im not looking for salesmen, my wallets wearing thin. thanx.

You might try out Dynomax's Super Turbo muffler. It's not baffled- it's more of a 3 chamber S curve that keeps your exhaust flowing pretty well without throwing a bunch of walls in the way. You can get them super cheap too, and they're really good quality.

umm yeah its true if you just take off your exaust system and run open header you will have much more power then with a exaust system. You wont notice it in the low end and you might even loose low end pick up but the high end you will feel a difference. try it just take out all your exaust pipeing and drive around with a open header. that is all the proof you need.

i know. but its not the noise that makes it powerful, its the power that makes it noisy.

what im saying is a muffler is supposed to muffle. my car is super loud right now cuz i basically dont have a muffler.

i dont feel its neccesary to sacrifice my hearing for a few hp.

all i want to know is
1. will the gsr muffler fit?
2. if you really think im wasting my time with a gsr muffler and some expensive muffler would be so much more worthwhile, then explain to me what makes it sooo much better.

It doesn't have to be an expensive muffler, you can get a dtm muffler off ebay for like 50 bucks, they all do the same thing just a different sound. Straight through mufflers will give you more power (5-6 hp). An S curve will lower the sound but yeild a lower hp gain, if your not worried about 5 hp then go with the gsr muffler. All the facts of gains are hear, straw explaination, websites, etc. If you want a quiet exhaust the aftermarket source isn't gonna help you

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 17 2003, 10:26 PM
You might try out Dynomax's Super Turbo muffler. It's not baffled- it's more of a 3 chamber S curve that keeps your exhaust flowing pretty well without throwing a bunch of walls in the way. You can get them super cheap too, and they're really good quality.

:werd: its not a huge ass coffee can, built well, quiet, and pretty cheap.

Back