muffler..?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 17 2003, 09:26 PM
You might try out Dynomax's Super Turbo muffler. It's not baffled- it's more of a 3 chamber S curve that keeps your exhaust flowing pretty well without throwing a bunch of walls in the way. You can get them super cheap too, and they're really good quality.

:werd: i have one and it sounds nice. had it installed at the same time i got my 2.25" pipes so i dont know what difference it would have made by itself. as far as the stock gsr muffler, i dont think they are anything special are they? most stock mufflers have too much restriction, mainly to keep the noise down but it hinders performance too. as u might have seen in the chart i posted a link to, most aftermarket mufflers provide 2-3whp and that is PEAK hp. keep in mind that if its upping the peak hp that much, then there must be a good rise in the whole mid to upper powerband. :thumbsup:

BTW the dynomax superturbo is fairly quiet too. one of the quietest performance mufflers. also, dynomax has been making mufflers for like 70 years.

i dont think theres anything special about the gsr muffler. i just figured itd be one of the bigger honda mufflers.

now when i think about it i could get anybodys stock muffler. but ive found someone to give me a gsr one.

i knew i didnt want a civic one, those things are tiny.

dynomax=magnaflow, and i have a magnaflow and i think it sounds really good below 4k rpm. above that tho it still sounds like a weed eater against a wood fence, and this is on a d15b7.

however, below 4k it still sounds almost stock and it looks stock too, a perfect sleeper muffler.

i upgraded to 2.25" pipe when i had the muffler installed, and i have had zero noticible loss of torque down low and the engine pulls a lot harder than it did on the upper band.

[edit] oh yeah and they have a lifetime warranty too[/edit]

Originally posted by toyarmy@Nov 17 2003, 11:31 PM
thank you.

does anyone know if i will have clearance issues with the gsr muffler?

you would have to go to a shop for them to tell you that, since you would have to get a custom pipe to connect the GSR to the 2.5in exhaust and if there is a clearance problem then its probably nothing a little bend in your existing pipe wouldnt change

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Nov 18 2003, 12:12 PM
dynomax=magnaflow, and i have a magnaflow and i think it sounds really good below 4k rpm. above that tho it still sounds like a weed eater against a wood fence, and this is on a d15b7.

however, below 4k it still sounds almost stock and it looks stock too, a perfect sleeper muffler.

i upgraded to 2.25" pipe when i had the muffler installed, and i have had zero noticible loss of torque down low and the engine pulls a lot harder than it did on the upper band.

[edit] oh yeah and they have a lifetime warranty too[/edit]

Do you have pictures? I have a straight through magnaflow, looks like all the other bullet mufflers and it says embossed magnaflow.

It sounds like udder ass, well more along the lines of a race car that isn't shifting fsat, but anything above 2.8k it sounds fucking ghetto, when I rev it, sounds cool, when I go, it sounds fucking queer, like all deep then boom raspy mofo that isn't moving. :ph34r:

look at there product catalogs, and they both offer lifetime warranties.

here ya go:

dynomax

magnaflow

the muffler's use the same technology, one is stamped magnaflow, and the other is stamped dynomax.

ok heres a very basic rule of thumb! muffelrs dont make more power, all they do is release power thats already there but cant be obtained do to restriction by the muffler. now choosing the right size piping is a different story but onces that is done the muffler is only gonna restrict power no matter what its just how much are you willing to restrict for less noise and this dose not mean you cant come across a muffler thats restrictive and loud. really you need to find some one who has tryed the different mufflers cause when it comes to this topic nothing is going to count more then talking to people who have used the different mufflers.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Nov 18 2003, 09:18 PM
look at there product catalogs, and they both offer lifetime warranties.

here ya go:

dynomax

magnaflow

the muffler's use the same technology, one is stamped magnaflow, and the other is stamped dynomax.

Ok, and Dynomax is based in Michigan while Magnaflow is in California- and their 3 chamber designs are completely different... not to mention the web site designs. So what if they both offer lifetime warranties? That doesn't automatically mean they're the same company. Borla offers a lifetime warranty- so does that mean that Borla, Dynomax and Magnaflow are all the same company now? No.

I don't know if Greddy sells just mufflers, but I know they are of a superior design.

Stay away from anything with fiberglass deadening material. Eventually it gets covered in carbon and is useless.

Back