Multimedia Desktop suggestions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so my sister just bought a camcorder with a HD and is looking for a new pc(or laptop) that will be able to edit/create videos, then burn them to dvd

she has a baby on the way so i would assume this will get a good amount of use in the video department

since she has a baby on the way next month, money's a corcern of course

she suggested this from staples
Staples.com®. that was easy®.
Compaq Presario SR5310F Desktop PC
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core E2160(1.60GHZ) Processor
1GB installed memory
250GB hard drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Monitor sold separately
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
1 year warranty
about $300 on sale to $360 retail

i found these and wanted opinions
gateway (not my favorite brand)
Gateway - 6000+ Desktop - GT5648E
Gateway - 6000+ Desktop
about 3.0ghz
  • AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 dual-core processor 6000+* for increased multitasking performance; improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection**; Cool'n'Quietâ„¢ Technology to minimize heat and noise
  • 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB
  • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM
  • AMD LIVE! Smarter Digital Entertainment for all the screens of your digital life; you can manage, access, distribute, share and enjoy your digital content collection from virtually anywhere
  • AMD dual-core technology enables you to work or play with multiple programs without impacting performance
  • 1MB + 1MB L2 cache memory for efficient system processing
  • 320GB Serial ATA II hard drive with 8MB cache (7200 rpm); Gateway Portable Media Drive bay lets you easily add a second removable hard drive (Portable Media Drive not included)
or an acer, also from best buy
Acer - Aspire 4400+ Desktop - AM5100-U5300A
Acer - Aspire 4400+ Desktop
about 2.3 ghz

• AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 dual-core processor 4400+* for increased multitasking performance; improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection**; Cool'n'Quietâ„¢ Technology to minimize heat and noise
  • 2GB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 8GB
  • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM
  • AMD dual-core technology enables you to work or play with multiple programs without impacting performance
  • 512KB + 512KB L2 cache for efficient system processing
  • 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
  • ATI RADEON X1250 graphics with up to 256MB shared video memory as allocated by Windows Vista; high-definition audio (8-speaker support); HDMI connection
  • 7-in-1 media card reader supports CompactFlash Type I/II, Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Microdrive, SmartMedia and xD-Picture Card
opinions? other suggestions?

1gb of memory is useless for video editing.... especially if it has vista on it. vista alone recommends 2gb.

the later looks like a better buy.

she'll probably want the media center stuff, so vista ultimate is probably the os to go with

XP Pro. At LEAST 2 GBs (I have 4...and i do video editing on the side). and youll want a dual proc.

i just want to say youll want to fresh install that hoe. cause gateway, compaq, hp, sony and dell are NOTORIOUS for bloatwere...im not sure about acer though...

XP Pro. At LEAST 2 GBs (I have 4...and i do video editing on the side). and youll want a dual proc.

is this considered a dual proc?

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor

Last edited:
not worth it. BB wont price match clearanced or open box items. trust me i work there. i read about 10 pages in that thread and only 2 or 3 people got it to work, and probably because the managers either didnt know the entire poilcy, or didnt care enough to deny the price match

Back