Murdersled

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

And also, they can easily be converted to run a carb setup. But that would probably make the swap more complicated. lol I've seen numerous builds that picked up a truck 5.3 for under $500, swapped out the cam and top end, made 500+ hp for cheap.

Werd

Really? 2k? With T56 transmission?

Prally looking at a lil more with a T56. I was talking about with autos, cuz that's what's most common in trucks and SUVs. If you were to get em seperate, you might be able to make that happen. In your neck of the woods, it should be a little easier. I've seen some of the best prices on pull outs in Texas.

The 5.3's are awesome platforms.

Lemme know if you need any info.

And plentiful. Think of all the trucks and vans built since they were introduced over a decade ago. I've been waiting for something to happen to my dad's Tahoe since he got. lol It's 5.3 would be very nice in my Camaro. I've been thinking about selling the built 355 and going that route even though it's already got more than a 200hp advantage over a stock 5.3. Reliability. And they love boost! :ph34r:

Well, its more iron vs aluminum then one displacement vs another. Iron is just over 200 pounds for the bare block with caps. Aluminum is just over 100 pounds.

Ok, so there's an aluminum 5.3 that's way cheaper than the 5.7? What about forged pistons/rods- necessary in light of the Super Chevy (or whatever mag, forgot) article that made 1000+ on a stock block?

No the 5.7 is aluminium, and the 5.3 is iron. However you can find 6.0L truck engines made from both. Also an LSX so they'd accept much of the same parts, however the aluminium ones that come out of Escalades aren't as cheap.

Stock internals are good for 700 horse on a solid tune. Theres a local Vette makin 1000 with forged pistons and rods, with a stock crank.

Hmm. I guess I just need to start pricing out blocks and weigh the alternatives- keep stock engine or grab a V8? :shrug2:

I dont wanna keep hi jacking the thread, but it all boils down to your end goal. Im sure you already knew that though.

I have the 5.3 in my truck and it's a junk motor. Rockers make all sorts of racket when it's cold, the thing leaks oil from the rear main seal, and it burns a quart every 2000 miles. When it switches to 4 cylinder mode, everything rattles. 60k miles and I baby it.

Well, just like everything that gets mass produced there are bad copies. Did you buy your truck new?

No the 5.7 is aluminium, and the 5.3 is iron. However you can find 6.0L truck engines made from both. Also an LSX so they'd accept much of the same parts, however the aluminium ones that come out of Escalades aren't as cheap.

The l33 5.3 is aluminum.

The 5.3 in my dad's Tahoe has been running strong since we got it in 2002. And I DON'T baby it. lol

I'm sorry, yes, I see now. Aluminium L33 5.3s were available only in the 1500 AWD models from 05-07. There were a few more but again in low numbers. And of course more expensive.

Last edited:
There is a tsb for the issues you are having with your 5.3's cylinder deactivation, ill see if i can find out more, but it has to do with plugs fouling up and piston rings being jam packed with sludge...

I've been super slacking and I absolutely hate myself for it. Got the head and manifold back together, gonna torque it all together, and get the head set back in. I'll see what I can do through the winter, I hate working in the cold, but its killing me that I haven't been working on this thing.

Back