my 1st crvtec build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

achir21

hi there honda fans !

i'm going through my 1st crvtec build, i'm gonna do it right, on the 1st time, and i wanna share my experiences with you.

of course the build isn't gonna start now, as im waiting for parts to arrive

in mean a little ride on my garage:

My Civic, not the pretiest one on this forum, but the chassis/suspnsion and the interior are both in good shape!
DSC01475.jpg

DSC01486.jpg

bur where is what.
DSC01484.jpg

it give's you an idea of the previous owner, sleep baby.... coz ur gonna be twisted :p
DSC01487.jpg

Let's check upstairs
DSC01501.jpg

hey that ali baba's cave...... jdm one.... :p
DSC01502.jpg

when i say twisted, twisted :p.... a B20Z1
DSC01506.jpg

it cost me a lot, but the block in good shape, cylinders are still in spec
DSC01510.jpg

i've done a deglazing
DSC01514.jpg

the B16A2 Head
DSC01518.jpg

DSC01522.jpg

didn't resist to put the head on the block, juste to see how it looks like...
DSC01529.jpg

kick some ass, no doubts, Honda best inline 4 !

ALL the remaining engine parts were cleaned, plastifed, and arranged in this cupboard
DSC01497.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

almost new crank ! !
DSC01525.jpg

i love this tranny, shame it doesn't have an LSD..... maybe one day !
DSC01492.jpg

DSC01494.jpg

so i'm planning to make a reliable engine, with stock internals except for the rod bolts, wanna make power aound 6k ~ 7k ..... so my head and mainfold are juste pefect for the job !

same for the compression, don't wanna go more than 10.5 so stock pistons are good for me, thats becoz we don't have high grade gas on our country.....

i'll be reconditioning my valve seat, with my self as the machinists don't have the proper tools :( ..... anyway many little things to do.... but no biggy ::)

i'll be posting while i'll be working :) .... thx 4 watching :)

That's awesome man. Congratulations on getting your build off the ground. I wish I had a garage like yours. Heck, I wish I had a garage all together. I wish you the best and look forward to reading about your progress. :thumbsup:

hi there

this evening the machinist finally finished my tool that i was waiting for soooo long :p ..

here it is :)
DSC02144.jpg

DSC02145.jpg

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

DSC02153.jpg

as u can see its much much easier to use than any other spring comp
DSC02156.jpg

DSC02174.jpg

now that all valves r removed, let's chack the valve seat

DSC02175.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

:eek: look like they really need reconditionning .... i wonder how the car was able to go at 225km/h....

the ports were clogged ....... they needed a cleanning, as for the seats a little gentel didn't hurt them, just to remove

the DIRTS :mad:

DSC02183.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

tomorrow i'll finish cleanning the ports, valves, after that i'll be lapping the valve (althout i hate it) so stay tuned :)

Love to see people do the work themselves :thumbsup:

And that spring compressor is awesome, great idea.

that spring compressor is the shit. however i do have one single recommendation. i seen you "deglazed" your cylinder bores. you'll need to use new rings when you slap that all back together first and foremost, but if i were you, i'd get some pistons with rings in a slightly larger size than factory. have the cylinders individually honed to match each piston. anytime you have the opportunity to do this, i highly recommend it. i wish i had done it to my b16 when i had it apart. now i have to wait for a fresh rebuild to do it right.

other than that though, great thread. keep the updates coming. cant wait to see your finished product.

hi im back after some loong holidays

i just ordered stuff for the engine like the timing belt, vtec line, 310cc injectors, rod bolts and some high comp pistons,

talking about the pistons, i've ordered cheap ones with a 7cc dome that allows me to raise the CR to about 11:9 !
after buying them, i just wondered if its POSSIBLE to RUN the engine with these pistons with the original B16A2 cams ?

well I've been reading a lot about static and dynamic compression and i just couldn't confirm if this combo is possible,

anyone that tried high compression with B16A2 cams ? i know theses cams sucks, but for the moment i can't spend any further for the cams.....

thx for helping me....

hello everybody

don't ever think that i give up on da build, or that im just too much busy enjoying the torque, or worse the engine blow.. :p

no acctually after 4 months of suffering, desperate, calls, 'hi man, plz can u see with with ur friends credit card'.......etc.....

i think that anyone who alredy try to build an engine knows what im talking about, the hardest part is to buy things, and wait for them..... so imagine the same thing but in a country without a Crédit Card, and with a rubish postal service, all ways were closed for me ! ...

anyway
thanks for a member of my familly who helped me buying everything and sending them to me :)

ok so here's the parts ! (no big deal right...) but so diffcult to finally reach my hands :p

honda parts
DSC05854.jpg

-lots of gasket and o-rings
Head Gasket
ITR Timing Belt
Tensioner Pulley
ITR Head Bolts

DSC05874.jpg

for the most important par here's the pistons, the pistons tha came with my bloc were all worn and so the bores, so instead of buying OEM pistons or exepensive forged, i found theses "nice" 85mm cast pistons, coated with teflon, with their rings, not exeeding 220$ ! !

DSC05855.jpg

to feed up the additional 420cc in displacement bigger injectors are needed,
theses are 315cc

DSC05856.jpg

ARE Rod Bolts !.... just to be on the safe side :)

DSC05858.jpg

VTEC Line, a must, this is an Earl's Kit

DSC05871.jpg

the Cylinders were rebored to 85m.

DSC05870.jpg

honed with fine pattern at 45° and even a chamfer at tops of the cylinders to "encourage" the rings to go into the cylinders

DSC05886.jpg

the head has been prepared also, the VTEC orifice has been tapped and ready to receive its plug, les dowel pins were moved to the exhaust side, clogged port were roghly cleaned, and head was given a fresh face to ensure a good gasket !

DSC05876.jpg

ah almost forgot thoes littles babys, the magnetics plugs, one for the tranny and the other for the engine :)

DSC05891.jpg

ok now let's do it :)............ see u soon :) honda friends !!

man you make me jealous... i wish i could build my crvtec like that. looks like a nice build, keep us updated

very good work your your first build looks like you are more organized than some profesional shops

hi everybody, how r u doing :m)

thx for the intention...... it motivates me

ok, let's get to the...

BUILD !

unfortunatly becoz no one was helping me on the 1st and 2nd day, i didn't take a lot of pictures...

first i got to confirm that we can use the OEM VTEC Oil Cooler on any B-Series !

in my case i used the one of my breaked B16 bloc....

all u need is:

1 the radiator, the water pump's pipe, the 2 hoses, the banjo, and a new O-Ring may help good sealing !

DSC01558.jpg

2- after u must remove the non oil cooler banjo, the trick of using 2 bolts works perfectly fine here
DSC01562.jpg

DSC01564.jpg

the VTEC vs non VTEC Banjo
DSC01566.jpg

3- must go to ur machinist, must drill and tap the hole for the pipe !
DSC01567.jpg

as u can see its looks and fit like stock !,
sorry for the tape work, the knock sensor that i bought didn't have the same plug so.........
DSC06208.jpg

in the end, u have a water-oil-cooler, its good since it warms up the oil faster, and cools it also....

ok, 1st day, the build started at 15h, after a whole day, the bloc is fully built, it was difficult to mate it with the tranny since we didn't have the clutch pointer, so it tooked a whole night !

DSC06152-1.jpg

here we can see the T fitting, the oil pressure sensor and the VTEC Line
DSC06172.jpg

well that was the 1st day !

2nd day, that started at 14h...

i started with the valves, easy with my tool ;)
DSC06146.jpg

after the rocker arms.... no pic
DSC06149.jpg

DSC06150.jpg

the intake.....
DSC06153.jpg

and the Rail & Injectors
the injectors that they send me were designed for the 325i BMW E30.... and they didn't fit do well...... all i did was using the cushion rings of the old injectors and hope for the best
DSC06161.jpg

here we can clearly see that they don't fit properly
DSC06163.jpg

at the left the new water temp sensor
DSC06155.jpg

at the end of the day, we decided to mount the bloc-tranny on the car
DSC06174.jpg

almost there
DSC06177.jpg

witht the material help of our neighbour-hood
DSC06178.jpg

finally its in...
DSC06182.jpg

3rd and last day.....

good morning ! starting with wiring....
DSC06205.jpg

if we can call this like that.....
DSC06208.jpg

the bloc seems ready for its marriage....
DSC06210.jpg

DSC06211.jpg

its in.... becoz the B20 is 7mm taller than the B16, the intake stiffner didn't mate with the bloc anymore so all we did was put some washers in between the manifold and its stiffner, and it worked.....
DSC06212.jpg

DSC06214.jpg

the cams, i lubbed the hell out of them, i used a SAE40 Heavy Duty Oil for all the lubbing process of the engine, even used it for the 1st startup, its more like honeywell ......hihi
DSC06217.jpg

its strating to take shape, the valve lash break my back.....
DSC06218.jpg

some things left, right......
DSC06233.jpg

my friends weren't really helping me..... they werer busy posing...
DSC06238.jpg

overall its ready ! while i was plugging the gages, my friends go searsh some gas for me !

finally at midnight !
YouTube - 8446541

YouTube - 41991

notice that i quickly stop the engine coz it did go straight to 2krpm... its then i realised that i forget clogging the the PCV opening on the Intake...

the injectors were working fine.... no leaks......... ouf !! !
it was great to see everything (water temperature, Oil Pressure !!)

i hated this before on my honda... its no longer the case !

voila !
DSC06265.jpg

the day after i got out for the first break-in session, after 2km driving, the car just stop..... just like the drive-shafts were gone ! ..... and it did....
the only mistake in the build was to not properly put the passenger drive-shaft !

my impressions, yes theres low-bottow torque but i was somehow expecting more.... but when the VTEC engage at 5500 (late) its really faster than i thought, in fact its so fast the clutch spin in 4th and 5th gear ! ! !

now im with the Break-In, i choose the hard method, the one you make a lot of oil changes, and accelerate and engine break as much as i can...

here u can see after the 50km oil change, the metal shaving that the bolt catched !!
789.jpg

u can't see clearly but theres really a lot out there.... i love theses bolts !

this morning that removed the tranny bolt and i have found 3 times more :eek: ..
really, i can't imagine how the tranny was suffering with all theses metal shavings......

so here we are, thx for watching, and see u soon with a new video !

hi everybody

right now the car has 1300km

oil consumtion is 1l - 1000km
it doesn't smoke, but i have to say that my break in is agressive
some short blast up to 7800rpm,....... lots of engine break

even my cylinder honing pattern was done @ 45° vs 60° in OEM Spec, wich doesn't help ring seal, but help better ring lubrication..

anyways how can u read my plug ?

its a BKR6E

456.jpg

i'll say that its hot of a plug, rich A/F Ratio, and a bit too much of timing...

but i don't understand that sand like look on the insulator ? can u help me reading my plug... i need help :) thx

Why? You put ARP's in the rods and went with slightly higher compression why not benefit from that and put in some better cams along with springs/retainers?

Back