my 260Z.....is almost a 270Z...hehe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
Saturday we started....Celerity, The Crazy Turkish guy, and me....we yanked out the 280Z's engine and all the components in the engine bay, and the wire harness for the fuel injection system in less than 2 hours. It was easy, everything came apart, and I noted most of the stuff, on location, hook-ups, and grounds. From what I saw I knew there would be more work envolved than expected.....as in the header snapped off at the base where the collection pipe goes to the exhaust pipe...ohhh well...and I noticed that the mysterious oil loss in the engine was found. The rear main seal was pissing oil everwhere. So we called it a day...and I went home, got a nap, and went to work.

After work on Sunday morning, I passed out for another nap, and woke up, and started planning the rest of the swap for the day. I went to the location where we were doing the swap, and I looked over the situation. I was thinking of doing the full fuel injection swap, but then I would have to rape and pillage the high pressure fuel pump from the donor car, which looked like it has seen better days...so I thought...well...lets just hook up everything and run the bigger motor with the same set-up that I have in the car...and I only needed to get another low pressure cheap electric fuel pump, since the larger aftermarket cam in the 280's engine didn't have the mechanical fuel pump lobe...so I went and found one at outozone..and all th fitting, and they even had the rear main oils seal...so I snagged that as well.

Got back to the car, and after finnishing a TacoHell lunch...I was ready to get to work...Steve and Jack were busy getting everything disconnected from the 260Z's motor, and I got busy on the rear main seal...after about a few hours, we had the seal done, the flywheel resurfaced, the clutch resurfaced, the and the 280's motor was ready to go in. With an old car...old bolts are going to break...so we litterally broke all kinds of things just to get some parts off. And after a little more fustration...I just decided to cut out the whole carb system...and then rebuild it tommorrow with the intake that I got the other day. But after looking at what carb intake I had on the 260, and the spare intake system I had...2 of the runners match, and one is connected to the rad system..... So after a little bit of thought tonight...I have decided to go ahead and try to get the fuel injection system on the car, and hooked up. Called it a night, and I got about another 2 hours of sleep.

Sorry guys.....no pics on this swap.....it's a secret.....hehe...

nahh...I just forgot my camera ;)

Umm, not to flame at all air jokey since your car is gonna be pretty cool, but why not just use a Chevy 350 motor instead??

I guess im just wondering why you opted for a Nissan factory motor . .

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Sep 20 2004, 12:49 PM
Umm, not to flame at all air jokey since your car is gonna be pretty cool, but why not just use a Chevy 350 motor instead??

I guess im just wondering why you opted for a Nissan factory motor . .
[post=392537]Quoted post[/post]​

Well...when I bought the full suspention shocks and springs, half was on this car...$500+ for them, the car had the full Energy Suspension bushing set new, uninstalled, at a cost of $160....and the fully built race prepped motor......and all the spare parts to use for everything to build my car up...and I got a hell of a deal on it...$999, but I did some work to the kids other car, so I only paid $640 or so for it.

a chevy block was an option...but then all the money would go for that...and price is an issue.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Sep 20 2004, 08:01 PM
the fully built race prepped motor......

Ahh, it has a fully built motor . . . didnt know that.

280Z motor....L28....bored out, bigger pistons, lumpy cam, fuel injected, Alisson eectric ignition, prolly only 3-4000 miles on it. I don't know the size it was bored out to...but if it was bored a .5 mil...then it would bump it from 2.79...to a 2.89 or more....it is very possible that it may be a 3.1 liter bored and stroked :ph34r:

got a lot done so far.....

all that is left is the wire harness swap,....the fuel pump install, drop the rad in, put on the fan, and fill the fluids, buy a new altenator, and install the MAF sensor and intake.....and cross some fingers.

I can't wait...finally something is almost done....and I can't wait to see what this new blood will do in the Z.

IT'S ALMOST DONE!!!!

now for some pics.... :p

adc.jpg

add.jpg

ade.jpg

adf.jpg

adg.jpg

adh.jpg

adi.jpg

adj.jpg

adk.jpg

adl.jpg

adm.jpg

adn.jpg

ado.jpg

adp.jpg

I'm camera shy ;)

and beside's...he's the host this time....

Since I cant do major work at my house anymore...it's all done up at Jacks house.

Well...for today, I got a new altenator, and dropped it in the car, started sorting the huge mess of wire-harness's...and OMFG....what a Fucking headache. so many changes on the chassis and electrical in 2 years.....

Got the engine bay, and the front of the car's electronics done...and now to move onto the firewall back harness...hope fully I can sort it all out tommorrow when I have a little sleep......

4-5 weeks, full work, only one day off....and this week alone..I think I only got about 20 hours of sleep since sunday....I'm litterally dead.

but, one more day on the electronics, and then drop the fuel pump in, new fuel filter, and the rad....then it's time to double check everything and see if it cranks and runs...I guestamate that it might be running on Sat....but not in time for the Marcus Dairy's meet....ohh well...I missed to many events this year...so fawk it....

I do know that next wed will be a fun day :ph34r:

It will be time to unleash this new beast :blink:

Got both dash panels removed from the cars...some guages swapped over, the wireing harness for the ignition and the guages installed, and the dash installed today....

A full fucking day to do that...and it's still in peices :angry:

ahh well, tomoorrow might be a rest day....and the wife needs to go shopping....

But SUNDAY WILL BE A FULL DAY OF SWAPPING!!!!

that is if anyone wants to swing by and help.

The wire harness to the rear of the car is the only wires left to play with :(

It's almost done...... :ph34r:

but prolly a day too late..... :(

yup.....we foregot the main positive battery cable....the one on the FI car has a plug coming from it.....the one on the carbed car doesnt....

and guess where that extra plug goes......... :angry:

Back