My $7 IC water sprayer system.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well guys 'n gals, my upcoming move across the country has prompted me to consider several mods that will help keep the car running, ie- more reliable. One of such mods is an intercooler water sprayer.

I bought 20' of 1/8" ID clear rubber hose, two tees, and 1' of 1/8" ID copper pipe. I already had a pump motor- a spare windishield squirter pump left over from my Honda days, and for a resivoir tank, I used a plastic one gallon gas can.

Here's the resivoir tank, strapped down in my trunk with a coat hanger bent to fit. Don't laugh. It's cheap and it works.
193.JPG

Here's the view of the inside of the hood scoop openting. You can see the hoses and nozzles. There's a rubber gasket that bolts to the hood and rests on the IC when the hood is closed to make an air tight seal. I cut small slits in this gasket and pushed the nozzles through.
194.JPG

Here's a close up of a nozzle. Basically, it's a copper pipe with the end crimped almost closed. I tried about ten times to get them to fan the spray, but it just wasn't happening. They spray, but it's a straight stream, and doing so, wouldn't get the whole IC wet... just three 1" wide strips. So, I bent the pipe some and pointed them up so they spray against the top of the hood scoop. This disperses the water pretty evenly over the whole IC.
195.JPG

196.JPG

Here's the switch to activate the pump. It's the green one. I also have a boost gauge coming tomorrow to round out my cluster.
197.JPG

Driving impressions...

I took a drive up a mountain road so I could get the engine bay good 'n hot. Heat soak set in like it always did. I flipped the switch and within about 10 seconds, noticed a remarkable improvement. Not like, "holy shit!" improvement, but I'd say about 15 HP, plus quicker spool, and the best part- power above 5K. It's still essentially a stock car power- wise, and the turbo just runs out of wind above 5K. Now, it keeps pulling up to 7K. Yay! Throttle response is also improved, and in general, it's just easier to drive. It works good at sub- 40 MPH speeds, and works even better above 60 MPH when there's a good ammount of air going through the scoop. The gallon of water lasted about 10 minutes.

DEFINETLY worth the $7, and I have a feeling that from now on, all my serious turbo projects are going to have IC sprayers. :)

hey honkey, how often would you need to spray? say if you were just driving 2 hours around town to run errands and whatnot?

I don't "need" to spray at all. The car runs fine without it. I'd pretty much only spray during high load and/ or high ambient temps when driving around, and all the time when driving fast.

I have a pressure sensor on order, so I can have it start spraying at 6 PSI (maxes out at 10), and then have a switch on that so I can keep it off during the winter or at night.

It's too "home made" to sell at anywhere near a profit big enough to make it worth my while... And it's not my invention; people have been spraying ICs with shit for decades, but thank you anyway. :)

I like that idea. How much extra weight was added with this modification? because it seems like a trade off to add 10 lbs for that slight difference.

When I get my IC and put it in place I'd like to do the same thing the EVO 8 does with water sprayers.

Good engineering. :worthy:

Yeah, 10 lbs. is about right. It obviously doesn't offset the fact that the detonation threshold is raised, and that I can actually FEEL more power. This is in a 3350 lb. car, too...

If it works use it. That seems like a great idea. have you dyno'd your car since you did this?

Not to be a dick, but why would he waste 50+ dollars to see if his power went up on a 7$ mod.

Where the hell are you getting a dyno run for 50 bucks? You're getting anal raped.

I can get a dyno pull for 10 bucks.

I live in VT. I have an AWD car. The closest AWD chassis dyno is somewhere in NJ. I'm not driving eight hours to dyno a $7 water sprayer. I can feel the difference, and that's good enough for me.

If they can bring it to me, I'll hit it. I'm moving in a week and have a shitload of stuff to do between now and then.

Back