My 91 Civic Dx Project

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Crimson_jay

Ok. So I am somewhat new to the honda "scene" and but I am a mechanic apprentice and my father is a certified master mechanic. So we wanted to tackle a small tuner car project.

This project has so far spanned over 8 months from initially buying the car.
I wanted to write up this build to help Noobs who are trying to create somewhat the same setup.
I have a plethera of pictures from when the build began and I will add them after the initial post.

My parts list so far is as follows:
JDM B16A complete swap from nippon-motors.com
CAI
Skunk2 Full Coilover Kit
EDT traction control bar
92-95 jdm cat back exhaust kit
b16a motor mount kit streetimports.com
jdm 93 integra rear disc brake kit
Irotors cross-drilled and slotted rotors
93 integra throttle cable/front knuckles
mugen full body kit
F-1 r/l fenders
Custom paint
Racing radiator (slim rad)
projector headlights
Altezza tail lights

Still not sure what direction i want to take this project, "HP-wise" I want around 250 just motor then maybe FI. Input would be greatly appreciated. This will NOT be a daily driver STRICKLY WEEK-END CAR or STRIP CAR!

PICS WILL FOLLOW^_^

Last edited:
sounds like a good setup....

but one thing.....the altezza's

listen no offence but i myself and many others here disslike them i love projectors though.... i say ditch the altezza's

repspray the originals or something ive seen blacked out ones that look farking awsome....

ill be watching....you got pics of the mugen body kit and where did you buy it from?

Another thing, your not going to get 250whp out of a NA B16.
FI- yes. Boost 6psi and you'll be there on bolt ons, cam, and a good tune.

Iive a 1990 Honda civic dx,dpfi i want to do a intake swap I've a 92-95 complete intake manifold and del sol injectors(they're saturated and don't use resistor box).Can one of you guys help me out.

sounds like a good setup....

but one thing.....the altezza's

listen no offence but i myself and many others here disslike them i love projectors though.... i say ditch the altezza's

repspray the originals or something ive seen blacked out ones that look farking awsome....

ill be watching....you got pics of the mugen body kit and where did you buy it from?

Well, its a good thing that you brought that up. I know that Altezza's have not been the most popular but I was going to black out the head/tail lights which is the setup I saw on my friends MR-2 Spyder... Sick!

I want to try to shoot for ~200hp with bolt-ons but from there try to go to FI and have fun shooting for 300-400hp.

I bought the mugen body kit from a local performance shop guy cut me a Killer deal!!

I COULDN'T GET PICTURES OF WHEN I FIRST GOT THE CAR.

BUT THIS IS PRETTY CLOSE. THIS WAS WHEN THE TOW TRUCK BROUGHT THE CAR TO MY HOUSE AND I HAD TO PUSH IT INTO MY DRIVE WAY. I TOOK OFF THE FENDERS BECAUSE THEY WERE BADLY DAMAGED. I THINK THE PREVIOUS OWNER WAS IN A WRECK. SOME OTHER PICTURES WILL CONFIRM THIS

CIMG1864.jpg

Last edited:
Here are pictures of some of the modifications that have been done by a buddy of mine and some parts that I installed.

SHAVED DOORS ARE SEXY!!!!!:D
CIMG1959.jpg

CIMG1962-1.jpg

HOOD PREPPED AND READY FOR PAINT.*JUST PAINTED TO TEST COLOR

CIMG1958.jpg

HOOD AFTER BEING PAINTED!! ADDED THE FENDERS FOR SYMMETRY!

CIMG1971.jpg

CIMG1965-1.jpg

MOTOR INSTALLED AND BODY PAINTED! MOTOR INSTALL WAS A BITCH!!

ENGINE1.jpg

THE OLD FRONT TRACTION CONTROL THING!

FCM.jpg

THE NEW TRACTION CONTROL THING! FROM ETDRACING.COM

NEWFCB.jpg

OLD ONE REMOVED!!

LWRFCA2.jpg

NEW ONE INSTALLED!

NEWFCB3.jpg

VIEW FROM THE TOP!

SIDE SHOT!!
NEWFCB2.jpg

PICTURE OF RESISTOR BOX!!

RESISTORBX.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that connecter is used. Were you gonna throw it away or something?

ETD's bar is lookin good man.

I have seen many DPFI -> MPFI write-ups.

https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/dpfi-mpfi-writeup-49557/
your obd0 ->obd1 distributor wiring adapter
https://hondaswap.com/hybrid-ed-ef-...obd-0-obd-1-distributor-wiring-adapter-73435/

and then there is this one which states:
http://b16a.honda-perf.org/theswap.html

" For DX'ers, the first harness will be for injectors 2 and 4. You'll need to use an appropriate OEM Honda 2pin connector for one end of each wire.
For DX'ers, the second harness has 2 wires. Both are for crank angle sensor.
For ALL, the third harness has 4 wires (so use a four conductor). One for oil pressure switch, one for VTEC solenoid, one for the knock sensor, and one for the second O2 sensor. "

I'm sure that I will have to do the DPFI to MPFI CONVERSION but will i also have to do what the last link said to do?

more pics coming soon?

I have started rewiring the hatch and I'm running into some "speed bumps". I have done the swap on the C1-> B10 and C2 -> B12 and the C1/C2 Ecu side wire to the engine bay.

Can I use the stock A1, A3, A5 and A7 pin outs from DX harness for the injectors or do I have to run wires from these pinouts directly to the injectors?
Which is the way that it was done in this write-up
https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/dpfi-mpfi-writeup-49557/

NEED SOME HELP WITH FINISHING THE WIRING ON THE SWAP!!!!

HPIM1297.jpg

HPIM1299.jpg

HPIM1301.jpg

Last edited:
06/08 Update:

Well here is my update for the project that I have been working on. I was away on military orders so I had to put my project on hold for a little while, but I used some of that time to analyze my setup. It is very clear from the pictures that I took and the wiring diagram that I downloaded that the injector resistor box is already connected to each injector and that all I have to do is connect the ylw/blk wire from the inj resistor box to the ECU. Saves me a headache of soldering more wires and making a mess.

Also I ordered a new TPS sensor because the old one was broken off. I am taking off the Cable VSS and replacing it with an Electrical VSS so that I can use an 99 SI gauge cluster! I'll post more pics for those of you who are interested in my project.

hey just saw your post and wanted to say that it looks good so far. i just did the same swap on my ef, though i have the si and got lucky on the wiring. keep updating, always fun to see another project build.
and if you need any parts let me know bc i have a dx hatch that im parting out

I know its a little late but i was reading about the altezza taillights and the whole blackout thing

i have a 1990 crx si that i blacked out almost solid, super dark, but when I hit the brakes or turn my lights on they shine through great

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384297/4

theres a link to it and the process of it happening
the lights look a little dark because its around noon and i only had my 4-ways going to get light pics, but they're a lot brighter when you hit the brakes or hit the turn signals or whatknot

spray cost me $10 bucks. I think they look better than altezza's and they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

hey just saw your post and wanted to say that it looks good so far. i just did the same swap on my ef, though i have the si and got lucky on the wiring. keep updating, always fun to see another project build.
and if you need any parts let me know bc i have a dx hatch that im parting out

Well I'll keep that in mind since I might need some parts and also i'm trying to get rid of the D15 SOHC engine that was in before. It has about 175K miles on it and The Main bearing needs to be replaced....Actually I should put that information on the for sale forum. Oh well! I'll keep you in mind if something comes up missing!

06/13 Update:

So here is my update. I have been reading the service manual and I don't need to connect the A3 and A7 wires directly to the injectors where as I can save some wire and use the connector that came with the engine. I really want to thank the guys at nippon motors for such quality motors and wiring. So NOW i need to go back and re-solder the wires near the ECU and cut off the excess wire.

I also have the connect the fuel lines from the engine to the fuel filter and then connect the vacuum lines! Hopefully this saturday the engine will start for the first time!!

HPIM1301.jpg

HPIM1299.jpg

HPIM1297.jpg
[/quote]

Dayum..talk about complicated. Nice work tho it should be worth it when it's finished :). I don't have the patience for that kinda shit I'm just goin D.

Back