My 91 Civic Dx Project

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the connector that you have a "?" pointing to connects to the harness that goes through the firewall and under the dash. look under the brake booster it should be there, if not then i would recommend finding it.
sorry i cant help with the wiring, i have no clue about that. have you researched it using the tags here on hs?

off subject (not thread jacking, just trying to get some convo on the thread): hey 93civicracer, what do you do for fun in abiline? i lived there for a short while and was bored out of my mind.

off subject (not thread jacking, just trying to get some convo on the thread): hey 93civicracer, what do you do for fun in abiline? i lived there for a short while and was bored out of my mind.

Not much. The only real fun here is illegal fun. There's really almost NOTHING here except the movies :(. Gotta get out of town to have fun I usually go to Florida every summer but I'm broke gotta work thru this summer :(. I'm waiting on a fake ID and drivers license from my bro so I can check out some of the clubs here. They WERE building a water park here it was supposed to be huge but I guess they backed out..

Not much. The only real fun here is illegal fun. There's really almost NOTHING here except the movies :(. Gotta get out of town to have fun I usually go to Florida every summer but I'm broke gotta work thru this summer :(. I'm waiting on a fake ID and drivers license from my bro so I can check out some of the clubs here. They WERE building a water park here it was supposed to be huge but I guess they backed out..

yeah i remember goin to the mall to watch alot of movies, the internet cafe there was pretty cool.

hey crimson, you figure out anything on the wiring yet?

you know, i looked for that car scene every weekend when i was there. couldnt find it. hardly saw anything worth racing. but there is a hell of a lot of grand am's there.
and a lot of drinking. everybody drives drunk on the weekends.

hows the wiring comin crimson? (a lot of headaches huh?)

06/18 UPDATE:

Here is what is going on so far with the wiring. I ran into a little bit of trouble trying to use the DX wire harness from the ECU and match those wires to the b16 engine harness. So I decided not to take apart the whole engine harness and just create my own to make things easier!!

There were 14 wires coming from the engine and I was able to use 10 of those wires and maybe some of you guys who have done this swap before can guide me through the rest of the way.

There are four wires that I didn't use: 2 solid blue wires, 1 light yellow wire, and 1 red w/ylw stripe wire. I used my "handy-dandy" wire diagram and found out the red w/ylw stripe wire goes to the TA(Temperature Air Sensor). And because this is a JDM engine the Main engine harness would be on the LEFT side but since the body is a left hand drive the main engine harness is on the RIGHT side and so this wire will be run on the RIGHT side instead of the JDM LEFT side.

you know that your supposed to use the harness of your original engine right? bc the pinouts might not be the same on the harnesses. best thing to do is use the d series harness then just cut off the injector part of the b16 harness and wire it in. soomebody correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure your supposed to use the one of your d.

06/18 UPDATE:

HERE IS THE DX WIRE HARNESS THAT GOES TO THE ENGINE AND COMES OUT FROM UNDERNEATH THE DRIVER SIDE.
HPIM1680.jpg

AND HERE ARE THE WIRES COMING FROM THE B16 ENGINE HARNESS.
HPIM1681.jpg

SO I USED MY WIRE DIAGRAM BELOW AND CUT THE NEEDED WIRES FROM THE ECU HARNESS AND SOLDERED SOME WIRE FROM THERE TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HARNESS.
HPIM1684.jpg

HPIM1687.jpg

AND THEN I MADE SURE EACH WIRE WAS LABELED CORRECTLY AND RAN THE WIRES ONTO THE DRIVER'S SIDE.
HPIM1688.jpg

USING THE WIRE LOOM TO MAKE THINGS LOOK NICE!!
HPIM1689.jpg

RUNNING THE WIRES OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE
HPIM1719.jpg

THEN I RAN THE WIRES THROUGH THE FIREWALL GROMMET AND THEN SOLDERED THOSE WIRES TO THE CONNECTOR WITH THE ENGINE.

HPIM1690.jpg

I TAPED THE WIRE LOOM UP AND CONNECTED ALL THE WIRES !!
HPIM1713.jpg

AND HERE ARE THE WIRES THAT I DIDN'T USE! THE 2 BLUE WIRES AND THE YELLOW WIRE AND THE RED WIRE WHICH I KNOW WHERE THAT ONE GOES TO!
HPIM1716.jpg

SO THAT IS WHERE I AM SO FAR. I WANT TO FINISH THE REST OF THE WIRING AND IF SOME OF YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME FINISH THIS THEN IT WOULD BE HELPFUL. I AM GOING TO CONTINUE ON AND FINISH THE FUEL LINES AND THE OTHER ELECTRICAL SO THAT I CAN GET THE ENGINE RUNNING!

What about the drag strip? There is an 8th mile track in abilene, pretty big car scene there. I've raced on it several times.

:rofl: Oh yeaaaa...that drag strip is :super:

hahaha yea right only 1/8? I like the streets ;). I went there once with a couple homies when we were getting high off in the woods and we heard the races. lllllaaaaaammmmeee.... too many camaros n transams I was like fuck-that and there was maybe 50 people there

Back to topic:

Looks like you have the wiring figured out what you doing after the swap?

damn dude. i just had a siezure looking at those pics. i really hope this thing starts up for you. because you will be one pissed of honda guy. and most honda guys i know smash things when they get mad, that poor car/engine may be in for a good asskicking.
then youl wake up the next morning, turns out to be a simple fuse.
starts right up, and wipe the tears after you look at the damage you did to it.

so have a friend (or a family member- theyre not allowed to stay mad at you) to hit if it doesnt start. lol.

i have a very active imagination,

i really hope this thing starts up for you. because you will be one pissed of honda guy. and most honda guys i know smash things when they get mad, that poor car/engine may be in for a good asskicking.
then youl wake up the next morning, turns out to be a simple fuse.
starts right up, and wipe the tears after you look at the damage you did to it.

so have a friend (or a family member- theyre not allowed to stay mad at you) to hit if it doesnt start. lol.

Well I am a very patient person and I tend to go by what the wire diagram says. Unfortunately the wires on the engine don't always reflect what the diagram says!!

But if I can't figure out what the wires go to from the diagram the other option is to cut off the tape and undo the wire loom and see where the wires lead me to!

Any input on the wires would be helpful!! thanks for following my build up log!!

6/24 Update:

Ok everyone here is the situation that i'm in. I was able to figure out what the four wires that were left over were! The BLUE wires were from the PURGE CUT-OFF Solenoid valve and the other was from the Alternator. the RED/YLW wire was from the Temperature Air Sensor. The YLW/WHT wire was coming from the TPS sensor which is the sensor behind the throttle body.

So I ran these wires to the harness on the Drivers side and then to the ECU. This was pretty EASY!!

Now the big problem!!

I have power going to the starter but there is a relay that I plugged in which should crank the engine. If I bypass the relay then the engine cranks but when I plug the relay back in the engine won't crank.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?? Also is there some where besides the dealership where I can get a 91 DX service manual. The service manuals that I have are for the JDM Civic which is not what I need.

you can get the haynes manual at any parts house.
if you bypass the relay and it works fine then maybe the relays gone bad?

Here is the situation if anyone has some input!

The relay that I am having problems with is from the DX harness here is the layout.

|________ |__________|

The guy who had this car before me had some ghetto kill switch rigged. Which was basically a wire going from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch with a fuse in the middle.

So when I turn the key I DON'T HEAR the fuel pump charge and then I hear a click on the relay. Now if I take a wire and insert it to the blue section of the relay and then the other end to the YLW/BLK section on the relay the starter will crank but I check the spark plugs and I don't see any arc.

The YLW/GRN wire from the relay is spliced 3 times. One is going to the ECU at b4 I think. and the other to somewhere on the driver's side. And the 3rd one WAS going to the engine harness of the D15 but I cut that off since the B16 didn't need that wire.

I know the fuel pump works. Am I doing something wrong??

Is there something wrong with the distributor?

I feel that i'm really close to gettin the engine to start!!

Last edited:
6/30 Update:

OK so i finally got the Helms Shop Manual specifically for 1991 Electrical Troubleshooting. This manual covers all electrical wiring for Si, STD, DX.

Also the relay that I was looking at was the cooling fan motor relay. Which is not needed for the engine to start.

So I will try to get some more pics of anything that I should have done and hopefully the engine startup.

07/01 Update:

Ok so I have my wires done and I have power going to the MAIN relay from the MAIN fuse box. All the wires are correct and when I push the clutch in the starter will crank and the alternator turns but I don't have any spark from the spark plug wires. I'm gonna check to see if the distributor is good this week.

Also I don't hear the fuel pump charging and all i hear is a "click" from the MAIN relay when I apply power to it. Anyone ran into this problem??

I'll run a diagnostic on the fuel pump and the fuel gauge tomorrow and hopefully narrow down the location of the fuel and spark issue.

Back