my 91 z6 swap is smoking bad

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cranktwister67

What's up Guy's? Just did a z6 head , d15b7. Block, skunk2 Manny, and a manual tranny on my ef .. got it together and it's smoking bad (white smoke) . Took the head and had valve seals and guides done.. put it back on and the same thing.. so we took it back apart and did internals on the block.. got itback together today and the same thing.. lots of smoke!! I'm at a loss and almost out of cash!!! Any help??

Dang. Sorry to hear. Seems like a lot of work has been done.

Was the head and block checked to see if they're mating together properly?

Seems like a coolant leak. Is it eating coolant? (aka losing coolant)

White smoke is coolant or water. Did the previous engine blow a head gasket? if so you could just be cooking off the residual coolant that was in the exhaust system. Otherwise double check your head gasket and head bolts. If you have not installed arp head studs than do so as the factory bolts are a one time use only and I believe the b7 and z6 heads have one bolt that is different from each other.

Thanks for the input guys .. went over yesterday and pulled the plugs and all were wet with oil . When we pulled the head the tops of the pistons had pools of oil on them..no coolant in the oil at all .. pulled the vtec head and put a non vtec head.. still the same thing.. checked the PVC, its good. Someone told me I needed a T fitting??? That there is a extra oil line??? I don't know .. I'm still at a loss.

Large amounts of oil in the combustion chamber could come from rings, valves, cracked pistons, cracked head, and an improperly set up pcv system just to name a few. Did you see any oil in the intake runners? if so it a good chance the pcv is a problem. Did you properly fit and clock the rings? did you hone the cylinders?

Thank you for the reply fernpatch!!! Yes there was oil in the runners. And the block was built by the same machine shop that did the valves .. so I know it's right. Anyone have a link for the PVC setup for this minime. swap ?? Z6 head, d15b7 block, skunk2 Manny..

Post up some pics of what you have and I will try and help you out

Your the man fern!!! I picked up another z6 head today just in case.. (and it was a great deal so I couldn't pass it up)

Update!! the guy i had working on it screwed me!!! went to the machine shop that did the work and found out the only work they did was valve seals and guides on the head. the block was never rebuilt just cleaned up. and the rings are shot, so after $ 1100. my car is worse off now than before i took it to him and he wont answer calls or texts... ive went over and the shop is never open.. so now im left with a car i cant even drive. and no money to fix it. I've had the car 14yrs and this is the first time i've thought about selling it.

Bummer man. Depending on where you live there are a number of places that sell complete engines fairly cheap. There is an importer a couple of hours south of me that sells single cam d series engine for around a grand delivered to most of western washington.

Back