My b16a2 build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dnLcal

First of all hello, my names callum and im from England, but cant find many good forums from the uk so here goes.

I recently bought a JDM B16a2 that im going to strip and rebuild will fresh parts and give it a bit more power on the way. today i started to strip the engine down but gave up when i got to getting the crank pulley off as it doesnt seem to want to budge (so thats a job for tomorrow morning!).

Ive been looking at aftermarket crank pulleys but im not sure which to go for, or if i should machine my own (as i have CNCs at my work).

Heres a list of things i want to change any ideas on what brands to go for would be greatly appreciated:-
-Crank pulley
-Underdrive pulleys (PAS and Altenator)
-Vernier pulleys
-Camshafts
-Head studs
-Bottom end bearings
-Full gasket and seal kit
-Intake and exhaust manifolds
-Rods and pistons???
-Crankshaft???

so basically everything apart from valves, block and head!

and heres some pics of the engine so far....
006.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

and the rather knackerd looking crank pulley
001-1.jpg

Cheers.
Cal

The reason i mention a crankshaft is because i may need to replace mine. that list is worst case senario.

Why should i steer clear of non-OEM pulleys?

can pick up an eagle one for around £150 inc shipping to the uk (so about $300).
Is'nt the b16 internally ballenced anyway? also if i where to balance the pulleys would this sold the problem (i have all the equipment at my disposal as i am an training engineer.

Cheers for the replies
Cal

You know what. Go for it. I honestly don't have the want, will, or desire to do this again.
i'm surprised you do it as much as you do anyways. thats why i rep you when i can. you spend far too much of your life answering the same questions and having nobody listen.

cal, post up some hp goals and we'll help you out. there is a lot of knowledge on this forum if you are willing to listen. leave everything with oem parts. consider some ctr pistons and maybe some ctr cams for a budget build. your crank and pulleys are fine.

^ exactly what he said...your pulleys are fine...and IMO blanco is about the most knowledgable on this entire site...so if he says something 99.9% of the time its th best option,,,
but do what you want..

can pick up an eagle one for around £150 inc shipping to the uk (so about $300).
Is'nt the b16 internally ballenced anyway? also if i where to balance the pulleys would this sold the problem (i have all the equipment at my disposal as i am an training engineer.

Cheers for the replies
Cal

Cal, before I started posting on here or even considered starting my own thread, I did a LOT of research on the site. During this research I found that people like Blanco REALLY know what they are talking about. Read around, find posts where he and other members have posted and you will see that what he says not only makes sense, but won't get your freakin' engine blown up. Good luck to you in not wasting your money on rebuilding your engine, after you decide to go with parts that are not recommended by people who know what they are talking about.

^ exactly what he said...your pulleys are fine...and IMO blanco is about the most knowledgable on this entire site...so if he says something 99.9% of the time its th best option,,,
but do what you want..

:werd::ditto::concur:

If you want your engine to blow up, use something other than an OEM Honda crank pulley.

Second, don't buy brand names. Buy the parts that best fit your goals, regardless of what the box says on it.

Third, you don't need a new crank.

One last thing I learned from Blanco himself and then I am done with this post, is that OEM crank pulleys can handle, and I hope I am quoting him correctly, up to 600 horserpower. If I'm off by a hundred, shoot me. My power goals are 330 on my B so I'm safe. :D

Back