My B18A Research...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SoDakCRX

Alright, I am in the process of researching before my very first honda engine swap.
I have a 91 CRX HF and am swapping in a b18a from a 91 integra ls. While I have looked high and
low for information, I have yet to find a step by step install guide for my particular project. I would
assume one doesn't exist, so I have been trying to gather info here and there. I believe I have the
jist of it, but want to make sure I have everything I need, I just want to make sure.

I have a wrecked 91 Acura Integra, wrecked in the rear so the only thing damaged that I was looking
forward to doing are the rear brakes.
From what I can gather I will need:

Engine/Transmission
ECU?
Rear Tranny Bracket,
Shift Linkage (shortened to fit) and cable (rerouted to fit?)
Axles, Hub assembly, and Intermediate shaft?
Master Cylinder,
B Series Mounts
Radiator Hoses
Is there anything else I will need, either from the Acura or elsewhere to complete the swap? I will be ditching
the Integra shell as soon as I pull what I need, so I don't want to be going back the junkyard to scavange for
parts I just got rid of.
I guess some of my questions are as follows:
Will I need custom exhaust? I think I've read that there will be a gap from the header to the cat? Or was it
that the B18 header won't bolt to the CRX Cat....
Will I have to dent the frame rail to complete the swap? I thought I read that some people didn't have too, but
others say I will.
I believe I use the stock CRX wiring harness, do I have to modify the harness to wire the B18? Or splice the
connectors from the B18 to the CRX harness? Wiring scares me
As far as the DPFI vs MPFI goes, I don't have to worry about it because the HF is already MPFI?
Do I have to use the Acura shifter or can I use the CRX? The only reason I ask, is that the integra I bought
has an Automatic Transmission, but I am looking to buy a MT, but don't know if I need to buy a shifter too.
If I wanted to leave it with the Automatic for the time being, what kind of PROS/CONS would I be looking at.
I am not looking for a full out drag car, but I definately and thirsty for a little more power having been stuck
with the HF motor.
Also, another question... both my motor and the B18 are OBD0 right? So I shouldn't have to worry about that either?
I have the feeling that I am overthinking this swap. I've read it's one of the easiest swaps out there, is there anything
I should be especially careful to do? I am going to perform some maintenance while I have the b18 out, Timing Belt,
Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Fresh Oil, Fresh Coolant... is there anything else you would recommend?
I realize this is a long post, and I know there are probably some posts covering my questions, but there
are discrepencies between sites, and I just wanted them cleared up.
I appreciate any help you can provide, and if you feel you must flame or be a jerk.. I can handle it, I'm a big boy
Thanks,
Jeremiah

the motor you have is very easy just drop it in and plug it up with b series mounts and off you go

like he said, its pretty much a plug and play. Im not 100% positive, but you might need the radiator hoses from the integra. Im not sure about your other questions... i don't know all that much about the da chassis.

when i did my swap, I did the obvious such as changing the oil/filter/coolant. I also changed the timing belt, water pump, and clutch while the engine was out of the car and easy to work on. These are things you may or may not want to do depending on your resources.

Last edited:
so what all will i need to change on the b18 to change it to manual tranny? transmission, ecu, linkage? anything else?

in addidtion you will need the clutch pedal assembly, and whatever linkage the da chassis uses to operate the clutch fork.

so where i am sitting now, being a first time swapper, will it be "easier" for me to do the automatic swap or get parts for the manual swap?

Back