my b18b Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

--there's never been a definitive answer as to whether a B16 head flows better than a GSR. they both have their advantages over one another but I don't think one out flows the other. as for the bolt pattern agreement, the same manifolds are out there for either head. whether you're wanting ITB's or a Victor X they're both available for both heads...

--as for the girdle, don't waste your money. Ive seen a b16 go to 9900 without one and was fine after doing so. i doubt you'll be revving that high but if you do, you'll be fine.

--I wouldn't run a block guard either. from research they create hot spots on the tops of the cylinder walls as well as restrict coolant flow. seen many similar builds to yours do just fine without a block guard.

--for cams, if i were to build a budgeted turbo street car, I'd use GSR cams. seen a couple street cars put down great power on GSR cams. I've also seen a pure race car gain crazy power using skunk2 pro2's. but, with running an aftermarket cam you really need to find someone who can set it up correctly (google "degreeing" and you'll see what i mean). you'll also need a set of adjustable cam gears in order to degree the cams.

--for head upgrades, you'll gain the most out of a properly ported head. it will help the engine breathe a lot more efficiently. and the more efficiently the engine breathes the more power you'll make. additionally, supertech makes great spring and retainer kits. they're affordable and they work wonderfully. I've used them in my personal engines. my friends and local shops all use them religiously. never had a failure due to a failed spring/retainer.

--lastly. stop referring to parts as "skunk2 gsr cams" there are no such thing as skunk2 gsr cams. its simply skunk2 b series cams. since the same cam can be used in all VTEC b series heads.

Anymore questions, post em up. Thats what the boards are for!

so should i get a skunk 2 b series cam or a cam out of a gsr block thats all i want to know

Last edited:
well i found a set of cams from a gsr for 80 bux going to pick them up soon.

Back