My B20 Buildup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

machine

Banned
Ok I've figured out the motor pretty much, now some questions about tranny and brakes...I have a 2000 EX I am putting my B20VTEC into. What transmission should I use? I have seen a lot of people use a GSR tranny, and I want a limited slip. Also I want to get a short shifter kit, but a lot of them have different part numbers for the EX and SI. Which should I choose with this mishmash of parts? If someone can answer these questions, I'll pitch out the rest of them a little later on...thanks.

tranny fully depends on your build and what you want, go with either a b16, gsr, or a type R. Go look in the reference section and see which gear ratio's look more appealing then decide what you want to pay. I'm not sure about the shifter but i would say match whatever shift linkage you use. I used the stock integra LS shifter in my car after the swap

Originally posted by EGLSHB@May 7 2003, 11:19 AM
shouldn't this be in the "EK" hybrid section?

You're right. Moving to EK...

As for the question, you really need to give more information about what your preferences are. Asking "what transmission should I use" without tellling us much else is like asking "read my mind, what kind of ketchup do I like on my fries?"

The ITR is the only USDM transmission available with an LSD from the factory. You can also source JDM variants of the B16 and GSR transmissions with OEM LSDs in them. If you're dead set on a transmission type that doesn't come with an LSD, you can order a used Honda LSD or buy an aftermarket piece like a Quaife.

I have no idea on the short shifter kit. I like my stock shifter.

Now for bumping your thread so many times in so few hours- don't you think you could wait a few hours for someone to try and answer your questions, especially when they're so vague? Be patient.

get the JDM SiR-G tranny, with the CRVTEC, i'm pretty sure you'll be impress.

Well for All Motor applications I say go with a shorter gear ratio, something like the Si tranny (S4) or any ITR tranny(s80). The JDM ITR tranny is nice since it has that final drive that a lot of peeps want. If you decided to get the Si tranny be careful since the differential is actually smaller than all 1.8 tranny differentials.

Final Answer: Go with a JDM ITR tranny

Milan

i love the JDM ITR 5th gear... it still pulls very hard... like 4th gear in most cars
and yes i do go into 5th gear on most tracks when im racing... so the hard acceleration in 5th is not something im willing to give up

true i get shitty fuel economy on the highway.... but fuck it... if i wanted a 75mpg commuter car i would have bought an insight

i dont think i'll ever get into 5th gear racing.. that's why i swapped it out for better fuel economy commuting back and forth to school

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 11 2003, 04:33 PM
i love the JDM ITR 5th gear... it still pulls very hard... like 4th gear in most cars
and yes i do go into 5th gear on most tracks when im racing... so the hard acceleration in 5th is not something im willing to give up

true i get shitty fuel economy on the highway.... but fuck it... if i wanted a 75mpg commuter car i would have bought an insight

I get into 5th on the track and on the street- it's nice having something that pulls just as hard as your other gears should, just a little higher up. The mileage on the highway really wasn't that bad either- typically 28-30mpg at 80mph running 4400rpm.

i have yet to run through a full tank on the highway so im not sure where im at yet but it is up near yours

personally, it depends on what you building the car for.

if you are building it for track, go with the itr
if you are building it for the street and drags, go with the gsr with a quaiffe.

Back