My Birthday gift for myself

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I like Incubus a lot, and it's been my goal to see them at RedRocks sometime, and I missed the show that they recorded their dvd there. I was pretty bummed, but alas, it's not the end of the world. I'll try to make it sooner or later.

I like Incubus a lot, and it's been my goal to see them at RedRocks sometime, and I missed the show that they recorded their dvd there. I was pretty bummed, but alas, it's not the end of the world. I'll try to make it sooner or later.

Incubus is another band I must see live before I die.

They put on a REALLY good show, and they sound just as good, if not better, live than recorded. Since I missed the show at RedRocks I saw them the following week at the Budweiser Event Center. :thumbsup: for a natural ampitheatre with incredible acoustics!

They put on a REALLY good show, and they sound just as good, if not better, live than recorded. Since I missed the show at RedRocks I saw them the following week at the Budweiser Event Center. :thumbsup: for a natural ampitheatre with incredible acoustics!

Awesome, the only problem I would have at one of their shows now is that I only like their old stuff....the newer doesn't do a thing for me...

I like the old stuff also. Morning View was probably my favorite album. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was awesome too. Each time they come out with something, it's extremely different than the preceding album so it takes me a while but they eventually grow on me.

I like the old stuff also. Morning View was probably my favorite album. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was awesome too. Each time they come out with something, it's extremely different than the preceding album so it takes me a while but they eventually grow on me.

I know, bringing back an old ass thread, but I haven't posted here for a while...

But yeah Incubus's newest stuff doesn't appeal to me at all, I kind of shy away from a lot of bands when they come out with a new sound, when they have been around for a while and have a sound that everyone is already familiar with and have come to expect from them. Incubus isn't as dramatic of a change, but two of my favorite groups have unfortunately fell victim to what I previously said..

1. being Blink 182...i'll love Mark, Tom & Travis till the day I die, but their last album was horrible...completely different, almost Emo album. I think it may have reflected their feelings toward where the band was going IE a dead-end road...just my .02 though.

2. being Linkin Park - some will say that LP changed their sound when they made Hybrid Theory back in '01, that their sound was different before HT, but about the same as the new, "soft" album (Minutes till Midnight). I really don't know if thats just opinion or fact, but I think that if they got popular with a certain sound, and that sound is what 98% of their fans have come to expect from them, that they should keep on making music that sounds at least close to that same sound, while perhaps re-inventing themselves to keep up with the changing times and technologies...but thats just my .02 again, LP really frustrates me because they are just the complete opposite of what they used to sound like.

Blink would frustrate me even more if they were still together because lord knows what kind of music they'd be making now...we'd probably be hearing them screaming onstage alongside freakin Dashboard Confessional or a band like that, lol.

Last edited:
Have you actually listened to Dashboard Confessional any? I used to think he blew ass too, until I got a girlfriend who really liked him. He's really not that bad...and this is coming from a guy who likes Metallica, NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against the Machine, etc....

i dig dashboard ;). i dunno, something about the way he just belts shit out. rock.

I really don't listen to Dashboard or have anything against them, but I know what their music sounds like, and I was just making a comparison between how Blink used to sound and some band like Dashboard....two different styles imo.

My friend calls 311 "Consonant rock" and then actually sings "

bt hj kl oooo whoaa
dflpmne o weeee

And it sounds like a song from their first album.

I really don't listen to Dashboard or have anything against them, but I know what their music sounds like, and I was just making a comparison between how Blink used to sound and some band like Dashboard....two different styles imo.

Right, I understand. I dunno though, I don't really mind when bands experiment with different sounds. As long as they're still putting out quality music and as long as they still retain some of their signature sound, it's fine with me trying something different.

Take the Smashing Pumpkins for example. Their first two albums were euphoric, psychadelic kind of rock. Then they did Mellon Collie, which was a huge rock-opera, concept-album type deal and they experimented with lots of different sounds (hard rock, some lighter rock, a little bit of electronic rock), and then with Adore it was mostly electronic, with a heavy gothic influence. A lot of different styles, but all of them were done well and I can enjoy all of them...

Right, I understand. I dunno though, I don't really mind when bands experiment with different sounds. As long as they're still putting out quality music and as long as they still retain some of their signature sound, it's fine with me trying something different.

Take the Smashing Pumpkins for example. Their first two albums were euphoric, psychadelic kind of rock. Then they did Mellon Collie, which was a huge rock-opera, concept-album type deal and they experimented with lots of different sounds (hard rock, some lighter rock, a little bit of electronic rock), and then with Adore it was mostly electronic, with a heavy gothic influence. A lot of different styles, but all of them were done well and I can enjoy all of them...

Yeah I don't mind it when they experiment, but the two bands I mentioned (Blink & LP) completely changed their sounds and it just pissed me off.....but oh well....life moves on and they do too!

Right, yeah. In the case of LP, I wonder if it wasn't more producer/record company exec-driven. Like if they didn't have music like that all along but the powers that be felt like the harder stuff would sell the best.

As for Blink, yeah, they did change their sound quite a bit. On the other hand though, with a band like that, change or break-up is probably inevitable at some point. How long can one go on writing punk-pop type anthems for the teen/early 20's crowd when you yourself are getting older?

I dunno, just theories...

Last edited:
Right, yeah. In the case of LP, I wonder if it wasn't more producer/record company exec-driven. Like if they didn't have music like that all along but the powers that be felt like the harder stuff would sell the best.

As for Blink, yeah, they did change their sound quite a bit. On the other hand though, with a band like that, change or break-up is probably inevitable at some point. How long can one go on writing punk-pop type anthems for the teen/early 20's crowd when you yourself are getting older?

I dunno, just theories...

Yeah I agree with both of those....well said.

Back