My cam gear won't fit onto the cam

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtecsir1

possibly a cam gear for a different cam like maybe b series or something.

Just a thought I had when I read this, is your cam gear powdercoated???? If so, it could be the thickness of the powdercoat that's hangin you up. Take a piece of sandpaper and try to take a bit of the powdercoat out until it fits.

got pics. we sell a LOT of comp/zex B-series cams and I have never heard of this problem. im with everyone else, i think it might be the wrong cam gears for the engine.

Quoted post[/post]]
I was thinking that but aren't B-Series cams physically larger than D-Series?

I bought it from someone here several months ago. Of course I can't remember who. Brilliant.
you'd know if it was a B Series Cam because the D Series cams have the lobes for both intake and exhaust. I'm guessing it's the wrong cam gear :shrug2:

Quoted post[/post]]
So if the B-Series cams are larger in diameter the opening on the cam gear should be too big.

And here it is...
gallery_18495_48_79731.jpg
don't know why it won't fit, but it appears to be a D-series gear - it has 38 teeth - B-series (and DOHC ZC)gears have 34 teeth - F-series (and D16A1) gears have 40 teeth

been there. i was bein really gentle with the pontiac 400 i was taking apart a few months ago (first engine EVER for me) and i couldnt get a piston out. my buddy, whos been doing this for top fuel cars forever grabs this rod shoves it into the cylinder and smacks it with a 10 lb mallet. you eventually learn that everything is a matter of how big of a hammer do i need to put that on/take that out, or how much leverage do i need to pop that off.

yeah, and mine was a pontiac 400. if it survived 35 years in a la mans, i think it can last another 2 minutes with me. oh...i gotta post the pictures from that engine...its crazy. Ill start my own thread. thread jackers r teh SUCK.

Back