My car sounds like a shop vac

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

corvetteguy78

VIP
The audi forums suck...

My car is making a constant shop vac sound. the cars performance is not effected nor are there are codes. It just sounds like a shop vac running the entire time.

The sound is located more on the passenger rear side...any ideas?

Passenger rear side? Is it comming from the engine at all? Is is when the vehicle is stationary, or moving?

check for vacuum leaks, and look for things that may be rubbing.
check the tensioners of all the belts.
if its only doing it while the car is moving, then thats a big hint right there. but, it seems by your description that its an all the time thing.
so, thats where i would start

Now that I think of it, if its comming from the rear right - its most definately the fuel pump. More than likely your fuel filter is partially plugged. 02-04 1.8T's have had the issue in the past where a clogged filter leads to the pump working overtime. Highly suggest you get it done ASAP, as the pump might quit.

yeah, fuel pump is really the only thing that makes noise outside of the engine bay (of course, there's brakes/squeeks too, but you know what i mean)

blah, got it fixed today $185 bucks, all fixed....

Now my Window is shot, they want $600 bucks, let's see what else can go wrong.

Regulators are easy to do, provided you have a set of Torx bits, and a lot of patience. If you are motivated enough I'd suggest doing all of them, as 1998-2006 regulators were flawed for all A4's and A6's. Not a day goes by that a 02-05 A4 comes in with an inop window.

Back