my car turbo'd before i blew it up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicb18

these pics were taken a couple days after my turbo was put on in end of july, one week later, blew it up. wastegate line came off ( stupid me for no ziptie) while i was goin around a corner not payin attention to boost gauge, cracked cylinder walls 1 and 3 in two spots each...better luck next time i guess..all part of the experience!
...now in rebuild process. just thought i would share these since i found my camera as it was lost for a while..oops
let me know what you think

custom manifold i made myself!
s3f95e24583d70.jpg

s3f95e2512e74a.jpg

s3f95e25899d08.jpg

s3f95e289a6057.jpg

B18b1
eagle rods
srp 9.2:1 pistons

t3/t04e .60 compressor .63turbine
tial 35mm
greddy type 31 IC
Greddy type s BOV
afc hack

the wastegate placement didn't help either.

cyl 1 is sending all the gas to the WG, but 2, 3, and 4 are all pretty much just going right in to boost.

if youre going to make a new manifold, i suggest you re-think the wg placement.

no offense dude but theres something about that manifold, its just ugly. there must be others available for hondas right? other than that it looks pretty sweet, thats a badass pic of the intercooler with the bumper off. got one of it with the bumper on?

Originally posted by Canadian_GSR@Oct 22 2003, 02:18 AM
no offense dude but theres something about that manifold, its just ugly. there must be others available for hondas right? other than that it looks pretty sweet, thats a badass pic of the intercooler with the bumper off. got one of it with the bumper on?

I don't think he wanted it to be pretty. I agree with B. that WG needs to be welded on the downpipe just before the turbo at the convergance (is that a word?) of all the ports.

Originally posted by Canadian_GSR@Oct 21 2003, 08:18 PM

i thought the manifold was decent for the first one i ever made.
thanks.
no pic with bumper one, had to cut it to fit intercooler and didnt get around to it before it blew.

yea, im gonna do somethin about wastegate placement after i rebuild the motor.

any suggestions about just moving the gate on that mani?

Originally posted by civicb18@Oct 22 2003, 02:45 AM
yea, im gonna do somethin about wastegate placement after i rebuild the motor.

any suggestions about just moving the gate on that mani?

yeah, move it to where the four pipes coming off the ports meet up (just before the turbo. That way all the exhaust will be flowed away from the turbo when necessary.

In a nutshell, you want to design the manifold in a way that makes it harder for the exhaust gas to go to the turbine than the wastegate. In FWD applications, this is doable (Hytech), but difficult and expensive. In your case, I'd leave the turbo where it is (but rotate it a bit so you can fit a pipe to the compressor inlet so you can use a real filter), and put the wastegate directly above the turbo inlet, centered between #2 and #3 runners. Other than that, it looks good. :)

I can expand on this more if you want...

i would like to keep my a/c, therefore, i was lookin into the new manifold and downpipe that full race has, the a/c compatible one. its nice but expensive too!!

yeah, its a nice setup. tight squeeze though. and yes, its pricey... buts its the best you can get right now

Back