My Chiltons Manual Sucks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

[Freemantle]

Ignore the festive drawings, I'm referring into the reinforced rubber and aluminum lines circled in grey.

s40d7817624a07.jpg

My Chiltons manual is worried about me venting envoronmentally dangerous gasses into the atmosphere and thusly won't tell me what it is or how to service it. So I am assuming it is a feed line to the A/C compressor. Am I right?

If i do decide to get rid of it (in Florida... I better roll down the windows, put back the sunroof and drive real fast), how should I go about that? It would free up a ton of space (keep in mind there are no radiator or fan in that picture, that will be a lot more crowded with those).

What are your thoughts?

I just ripped out my condenser and last few lines tonight. All you have to do is purge the system first. Where those two little fill knobs are for the ac. you open the top and it looks like a valve stem. Press down the little pin and it will release all the freon out. Then just start tracing the line unhook them where you can and take them out. When you get towards the one where stock airbox goes they run underneath the battery and bolt up to the condenser through the firewall. You gotta take out the battery to get to those. Once you unhook those you can remove your condenser. Ill warn you be careful removing it. I destroyed mine doing it tonight. Not that I care i was never going to put it in anyway. but it got all of my ac out finally. Now my next project is taking out the blower fan and the rest of the useless shit behind the dashboard. Good luck

Don't flip out when the stuff comes out as a yellow liquid. Mine did that when I took out my AC.

Yeah i spilled some red shit all over the carpet and I had a ton of leaves and pine needles and crap fall out too. I have no idea where it came from. Im guessing through the vent around the fan and got stuck on the condenser.

So if I rip out the condenser could I fit the smaller PWR intercooler without taking out my rebar? Also, who makes good *thin* fans? I'm planning out IC piping while my radiator is out, it loos as if I'm going to have to do a lot of Dremeling. Was this true of your turbo setup?

They say the same thing about coolant disposal. The refrigerant in the cooling a/c system is not THAT bad if your car is like 92- or newer because it uses the more earth friendly r-134. Before that they used the r-12 refrigerant, which was only HazMat friendly. FAL makes good thin fans. Just make sure yoou put the IC in FRONT of the radiator. :)

Completely off topic: I am shopping for a wastegate now. I'm pretty set on TiAl, but I need to know if I should go with a 38mm or 40mm wastegate. I'm kind of worried if the 38mm will be too small for how low of boost I am planning of running.

Engine: H23 - Fully built, slight compression reduction.
Turbo .60 cold/.63 hot T3/T04E
Goal: 275WHP
Boost Level: .5 Bar spring until I can scrounge up a MBC. Plans to run 12 psi.

Will a 38mm wastegate make me creep like crazy, or is upgrading to a 40mm wastegate a waste of $120?

38 is tials smallest line now, supporting 0-350 hp.
40s are good for 500 range...
44-46's are for 500+

the 38 will be plenty for your setup.

as for the a/c line, yeah thats it.

purge it, purge it good.
put on safety glasses- and pull the rest out.
you WILL get sprayed. and make sure the EPA isn't around.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 22 2004, 12:01 PM

purge it, purge it good.
put on safety glasses- and pull the rest out.
you WILL get sprayed. and make sure the EPA isn't around.

:ph34r: :D

Back