My Del Sol engine is blown

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

einst9ne

One rainy afternoon my Del Sol hit a huge puddle of water and the water sucked right up into the air intake - cracking the block and breaking a rod.

It would be much easier to just go out and buy a new car - but since my body work is probably worth more than the entire vehicle, it only makes sense to keep it.

I don't know much about engines - but I do know that I don't want my old D series back.

If I opt'ed for a B16A2, I read here that it would need a shift linkage and some other stuff (that I really don't understand much about).

My mechanic will be installing the new engine, but I am responsible for purchasing it. The more work he has to do to make it fit is more money I have to pay on labor. My transmission has about 115,000 miles and works fine. Air conditioning, water pump - everything works great.

My question here is, do I need to purchase a complete swap? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by b204dr@Sep 13 2005, 01:39 PM
yes you need complete swap if not going with a d series -
[post=553754]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:
If you're swapping in a B-series motor, than you need a B-series transmission as well. You might be able to find a tranny that is LSD-equipped though, so that would be a nice little upgrade for you in addition to the power of the new motor.

okay - i'm assumiong my 1995 del sol is in the 5th generation - am i correct about this?

B16A2/3: Completely bolt-in Swap, VTEC needs to be wired, SIR II, Hasport shift linkage. Del Sol VTEC for the del sol

Can you explain to me what the author means by "SIR II" and "Del Sol VTEC"?

SIR II refers to the b16a2 engine, i believe jdm engine.

Del Sol VTEC could be one of two options, usdm sohc vtec engine (d16) or could refer to the del sol dohc vtec b16a3 engine. Both being USDM engines.

Originally posted by einst9ne@Sep 13 2005, 08:39 PM
okay - i'm assumiong my 1995 del sol is in the 5th generation - am i correct about this?

B16A2/3: Completely bolt-in Swap, VTEC needs to be wired, SIR II, Hasport shift linkage. Del Sol VTEC for the del sol

Can you explain to me what the author means by "SIR II" and "Del Sol VTEC"?
[post=554020]Quoted post[/post]​

B16A3 is the Del Sol DOHC VTEC motor, found in 94-97 Del Sol VTECs. B16A2 is the 99-00 Civic Si motor.

B16A (no number after the A) is the JDM motor found in the 92-95 Civic SiR II, a model that was not sold in the U.S. Most people refer to it as the B16A SiR II. The motor is just a B16A though. It has the same power and is pretty much the exact same engine as the B16A2, except that the B16A2 is OBD2, and the B16A is OBD1.

Hope that helps

everythings been real helpful - hopefully i'll find a complete swap on ebay. im thinking the b16a2 (civic si '99-00). hopefully its a complete drop in...im certainly woried

Yeah, i would try to get an OBD-2 B16A2 complete swap if i was in your position. Its not a huge hassle to get it to fit, and you still get quite a decent upgrade.

Problem is you cant get the OBD-2 B16A2 from Hmotors (where i would get any swap i was planning on doing).

If i had to do it, i would try THIS

Youll need to shell out an extra 429 for the shift linkage, and if you are doing this, you might wanna opt for the LSD tranny. Tab told me to do it, and ignored him. Now i wish i had done as i was told.

It shouldnt be too difficult of a swap, id just recommend he run the wires for the extra sensors and vtec before he drops the engine in. Itll make his life a lot easier.

My mechanic just put the engine in and did not wire the vtec or the knock sensor. (he also didnt fix my timing which was advanced 8-10 degrees). When i went to go wire the VTEC...i broke down and gave it to Intercrew and had them do it...its a real pain in the ass.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Sep 14 2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah, i would try to get an OBD-2 B16A2 complete swap if i was in your position. Its not a huge hassle to get it to fit, and you still get quite a decent upgrade.

Problem is you cant get the OBD-2 B16A2 from Hmotors (where i would get any swap i was planning on doing).

Youll need to shell out an extra 429 for the shift linkage, and if you are doing this, you might wanna opt for the LSD tranny. Tab told me to do it, and ignored him. Now i wish i had done as i was told.

It shouldnt be too difficult of a swap, id just recommend he run the wires for the extra sensors and vtec before he drops the engine in. Itll make his life a lot easier.

My mechanic just put the engine in and did not wire the vtec or the knock sensor. (he also didnt fix my timing which was advanced 8-10 degrees). When i went to go wire the VTEC...i broke down and gave it to Intercrew and had them do it...its a real pain in the ass.
[post=554153]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think I need that extra $429 for the cable linkage because my del sol is a 5th gen - using hydraulics - right?

Originally posted by einst9ne+Sep 15 2005, 09:49 AM-->
reikoshea
@Sep 14 2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah, i would try to get an OBD-2 B16A2 complete swap if i was in your position.  Its not a huge hassle to get it to fit, and you still get quite a decent upgrade.

Youll need to shell out an extra 429 for the shift linkage, and if you are doing this, you might wanna opt for the LSD tranny.  Tab told me to do it, and ignored him.  Now i wish i had done as i was told.

It shouldnt be too difficult of a swap, id just recommend he run the wires for the extra sensors and vtec before he drops the engine in.  Itll make his life a lot easier.

My mechanic just put the engine in and did not wire the vtec or the knock sensor.  (he also didnt fix my timing which was advanced 8-10 degrees).  When i went to go wire the VTEC...i broke down and gave it to Intercrew and had them do it...its a real pain in the ass.
[post=554153]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think I need that extra $429 for the cable linkage because my del sol is a 5th gen - using hydraulics - right?
[post=554882]Quoted post[/post]​

correct. you don't need the hydro to cable tranny conversion. but you will need the shift linkage from a del sol vtec which can be a very difficult item to find.

there is quite a bit of misinformation and half-true info in this thread. i don't know why in the fuck everybody is sayin' you want an obd2 b16a2, that just gives you one more problem converting the motor to obd1. get the complete change over on the link listed in the post that i quoted. it will come with everything you need except for the del sol vtec shift linkage, which you absolutely need. swap is very easy. use the wire harness on your stock engine, if you have a si model del sol, then you will not need to run vtec wires that you would have to run if you just have the base "s" model. for either the s or si models, you'll have to run a wire for the knock sensor on the back of the block. to make life easier, you can buy the vtec sub harness from hasport. but yeah, it's easy shit... get the swap listed in the link and the del sol vtec shift linkage and you're set.

Im gonna blame it on the fact that i was about to go to bed. For some reason i guess i thought that 95 was OBD2. I really would like to appologize for my post earlier. An OBD-1* B16 is what you want. I dont know what the hell i was thinking...i really know better.....really i do.

The B16A, A2, and A3 are all Hydraulic trannies. None of them are cable operated. So you don't need any weird conversion kit for that. I paid $149 for shifter linkage from Hasport. www.inlinefour.com has it as well.

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 16 2005, 09:50 PM
The B16A, A2, and A3 are all Hydraulic trannies.  None of them are cable operated.  So you don't need any weird conversion kit for that.  I paid $149 for shifter linkage from Hasport.  www.inlinefour.com has it as well.
[post=555749]Quoted post[/post]​

Really... cuzz right here is one... :blink:

Also, the B16A, A2, and A3 are not tranny's at all. They're engine codes. <_<
If I were you I would get the OBD 1 JDM B16A listed in the link above. (hmotorsonline). Hope this helps. :D

Back