my dirty girl

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wow- that's a really nice 3000rpm powerband!

I doubt that Mitsubishi on a corporate level is sending people out to the tracks, but considering how many stories I've heard of people who have gone back to dealerships only to find out their warranties were voided because they were "caught" racing (different dealerships too), I would think that there was some authority higher than the dealerships directing their actions.

You have to remember with the numbers, the STi is pushing less boost. If the STi were pushing as much boost as the Evo, it would out power it.

The Evo responds better to mods however, and many of them have far lower track times than the STis have been able to get into.

The STi's also have the reputation for having glass trannies and not having very strong drivetrains regardless of the new upgrades in '05.

As for the is300...I would kill for a turbo one. Theres a guy on ClubWrx I believe selling a turbo'd is300 that has 600hp and is a daily driver.

ya, i've been thinking of just doing it. i should..

oh, i forgot to add... that car was also using a manual boost controller to get rid of the boost taper. didn't mention that at first, my bad... so it would really end up being $270 for all parts.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jan 19 2005, 04:05 PM
You have to remember with the numbers, the STi is pushing less boost. If the STi were pushing as much boost as the Evo, it would out power it.

The Evo responds better to mods however, and many of them have far lower track times than the STis have been able to get into.

The STi's also have the reputation for having glass trannies and not having very strong drivetrains regardless of the new upgrades in '05.

As for the is300...I would kill for a turbo one. Theres a guy on ClubWrx I believe selling a turbo'd is300 that has 600hp and is a daily driver.
[post=448246]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, the STi trannies are quite bulletproof. You may be getting them confused with the WRX trannies, whose cases tend to flex with high rpm clutch drops, and have gears and synchros that get chewed up by high power/torque numbers.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Jan 19 2005, 05:05 PM-->

[post=448246]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd have to drive the Evo more to really make up my mind.

The STi transmission kicks ass- the WRX one is glass, not the STi's.

Turbo IS300 is exactly what I'm thinking. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by B16@Jan 19 2005, 05:21 PM
oh, i forgot to add... that car was also using a manual boost controller to get rid of the boost taper. didn't mention that at first, my bad... so it would really end up being $270 for all parts.
[post=448266]Quoted post[/post]​

That's still a damn good price. Considering that an AEM CAI intake system can cost that much, going from 270 crank hp to 290whp is quite an upgrade for $270.

dohcvtec_accord
@Jan 19 2005, 05:58 PM
Actually, the STi trannies are quite bulletproof. You may be getting them confused with the WRX trannies, whose cases tend to flex with high rpm clutch drops, and have gears and synchros that get chewed up by high power/torque numbers.
[post=448287]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

The tech at the dealer that my old roommate bought his STi from said "If you can ever figure out a way to break it (doubt it), we'll give you a new one for free- and we'll want your old transmission to ship back to Japan so Subaru can figure out what the hell went wrong." I've beat the hell out of his transmission a few times. It's solid.

personally, i am a mitsubishi lover...

but they really lost it after the 6. sad to say, the evo3 comes very close in comparison to the evo8. sure it is much lighter, and has a bit less power, but the handling characteristics have hardly changed.

remember, the evo 2/3/4/5/6 all run on the SAME CHASSIS. all the suspension parts are interchangeable, despite being 2 different generations. 4g (2/3) 5g (4/5/6) 6g (7/8). for some retarded reason, mitsu flipped the motor around wiht their 5g+ series.

anyways, id rather take the STI. sorry guys. if it isnt an evo3, then i dont want an evo.

Back