My droid broke

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So, my droid made it a little over 6 months.
6 months and 6 days if i remember correctly.

now there is a problem with the microphone (which other people have experienced from my online research)
people can only hear me talk when the phone is on speaker phone.
if its on regular phone mode, using either the stock ear speaker, or head phones, there is no voice, as if it were muted

verizon is 2 day fedexing me a "replacement" droid, which i am not too happy about because I know i have been very very careful with this phone. I dont want to get some refurbed piece of shit thats been dropped a bunch of times etc.
my last nokia phone with at&t lasted me about 4 years i think, so its not like i go through phones often or abuse them.

i have been reading horror stories about the "replacement" droids that some people are getting in the mail, hopefully i get a good one.
anyone have any experiences with verizons replacement services?

i noticed my problem about 6 days ago, but i was out of town so i thought i was just getting very poor reception and thats why no one could hear me when i called them.
ended up calling tech support and going through all the bullshit, pulled the battery and did a reboot, and then i answered the phone on speaker phone. so I thought the battery pull had fixed whatever problem it was experiencing. If i would have just answered it using the regular phone i would already have my replacement :(

six months? that's pathetic, I have a Verizon phone I'm still using for work that I've had since August 2007. I spent 8 bucks on a replacement battery in 2009 and I've dropped the hell out of this thing.

Glad I don't feel like spending that kind of cash on a droid.

I've dropped my Droid Incredible quite a few times already(though I have a hard case on it), hopefully I don't run into any problems in a couple of months.

the best you guys can do with touchscreen phones is to get a hardcase, one with a raised front so that when the screen hits the ground it doesnt shatter or scratch...

ive dropped my iphone a dozen or so times onto various surfaces, and while the case is scratched dented and cracked (crazy glue ftw) the phone itself remains flawless.

^^ same w/ my cousin.. he has a hard case for his iPhone and he literally slammed the thing on the table w/ no damage.. lol

They have some pretty nice cases for the iPhone, including some with built-in power packs.

What the hell do you guys do to your droids? lol

Hmm, I'm thinking about getting the nextel android powered i1 too. Maybe I should do some research on one...

google droid forums and read up.

If you're that worried, then get an Iphone.

Well I know boost is also adopting the i1 into their cache, though usually boost is the best for taking a decent phone, and turning it into a cheap chinese back yard turd. So I was probably going to look into just the nextel version, and find if it'll allow my boost service to fly. I think this is actually the first time I've heard anything bad from the droids.

I heard about the Moto Droid's battery cover falling off or something like that, so I just waited for the Incredible. I'm glad I did though.

i have nothing against the droid software i love it, im sure if i would have gotten a htc or somethin it would have been better, i just hate the moto droid

i hope they didnt reman my bosses and send it to you... lmao

thrown up in the air and dropped in coffee it still worked! i forgot what finally killed it...?

i checked the mic
the phone only has one mic, so why it would work on speaker, and not on regular phone mode is beyond me, i think its some sort of glitch because i have read a few other reports online of the same issue
or as someone suggested to me, it might have different circitry for the speaker vs phone and the board might have been cracked or something

my CERTIFIED LIKE NEW replacement was apparently delivered by ace ventura
the packaging was lack luster at best, consisting in a 6*4.5*8 fedex box, with a few papers and a smaller 2.5*1.5*5 phone box inside, which contained the droid in a simple thin bubble wrap baggie

here is what the 2 boxes looked like after the field goal was missed left from 45 yards
so i am sure this phone took a few hits already before it even got to me
Droid_Replacement_Boxes_2010-07-02_12_35_53.jpg

the replacements come with a 30 day warranty or some shit, but i still have 6 months left on my original 1 year manufacturers warranty, and i carry insurance

the phone i received is as advertised in like new condition
no nicks, scratches, dust, or any other signs of wear except the plastic on the back of the slide out screen shows signs of being opened and closed a couple times
mic works, speaker works, earphone jack works
i have not yet tested the data port/charging port but that will be coming soon

Back