my ek civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

unlikelyhero

So im finally getting around to building my car now that i have enough money to pay for my school for the next 2 years, and i just need some advice. I was planning on swapping a gsr and later if i wanted more power then i would just turbo, but i dont know much about turbos. so then i just thought that i should just go all motor and save up for a type r. but the thing is i need to keep everything on the down low from my family because street racing is frowned upon. My goal is at least to get over 200whp for now.

Theres a such thing as building a car to actually race at a track. Any real mods arent going to be a one day thing while the parents are away. I would address that issue first :)

oh i wont be doing mods at home. i wont even chance that due to nosey neighbors. Ill be swapping and whatever other mods at my friends house. and unfortunately ive looked for race tracks around my house, the nearest one would take me quite a while to get there even without traffic. i just really want the easiest way to hit at least 200 whp unsuspiciously.

Last edited:
Whether building N/A or turbo you'll need a free-flowing exhaust to make power, and no matter how good the quality, its going to be louder then stock.

If you want easy HP, get some NOS. You can install it in a day and have power when you need it. Leave everything else stock appearing to keep the parents unaware.

i see, well thats not really the answer i was hoping for, but if thats it then thats it. i guess ill just have to decide to go turbo or not, then ill pick an engine. and pray to god that my family doesnt notice. thanks for your help.

how old are you??? just tell your family to get over it, just because you are modding your car doesn't mean you are going to street race.

i just turned 19, but its different where i come from man. im a big family person and not just my immediate family. they arent stupid either they knew if i was modding my car it would just mean id be speeding more.

im big on family too, but you need to sit them down and tell them that its just a hobby and something that you enjoy doing, when i first started modding my car my family thought the same thing and at first yeah i was speeding everywhere i went but it got better and the more money i spent on the car the more i realized i didn't want to fuck it up on shitty highways racing some little punk kid. you grow out of street racing, every now and then its fun but it gets old

but you gotta understand too im still under my parents roof. what they say goes. if i want to have a place to stay. its not a democracy in my home, its a dictatorship.

Right there's the answer. Forget modding the car for now, move out :) I have quite a few cars, some fast and some pretty, but nothing feels better then coming home to my own place and doing whatever the fuck I want :D

haha yeah believe me that was what i wanted. but decent apartments in so cal are freaking expensive and i dont make enough money to be paying rent.

Tough spot man. IDK about cali but here they have budget apartment buildings. I lived in one for a lil while, it was actually very nice. AND they adjust the rent according to your pay and what you have available. Search around a bit before you rule it out.

Otherwise sneaky modding it is :ph34r:

Hey! I have a ek with a gsr swap.. its pretty decent.. but u'll beat the civic si's but not the integra gsr...even gsr swap is not that fast.. so u should turbo it for sure.. I'm thinking of getting one.. GREEDY TURBO~~~~ALL THE WAY..

ive actually decided to go all engine and imma save up my money for a k20a2. more potential and it'll be easier to pass emissions just in case.

you can get 200 from a h22 also. just thought i'd throw that out there. also, my family supported most of my mods to my car. they were happy that i found something else to do besides take in stray animals. my nana was the most enthusiastic though. :) she like to sit out in the garage and watch and help even (that means get in my way:) but she meant well) however, no one seemed to like it when i cut my cat off and was running straight from the header :( i wonder why :hmm:

the k20 will be a very expensive swap i was thinking about putting it into my 98 hx coupe and its a lot more involved then what you may think, you could go with the h22 as someone had mentioned earlier and make decent power

and as far as modding goes, my family frowned upon street racing and imports being loud and they were mad at me for doing anything to my car and just throwing money time after time into it and they have come to realize is something i enjoy a lot and somethin i may possibly want to do later in life and they got over it and began to actually help me, as of right now my dad and i are building an old nova ha actually got real big into it after he had seen my car, but good luck with whatever you may decide to do

Back