My Engine Clicks When I Hit Vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

importimage

When I manually rev the car with the throttle cable, once it hits vtec there is a clicking noise. Obviously I cannot hear it when I drive because the exhaust hides the noise.

What should I check and how do I check for this problem????

what engine? etc.

and what makes you so sure it isn't the valveS?

I have a CR/VTEC Turbo setup.

-b17a head (The head has be resurfaced about 3 times)
-b20b block
-stock timing gears (Obviously no advancing/retarding of timing)
-hondata ecu stage 2 with boost
-drag gen 3 turbo kit
-etc..

My car seems to run strong except for when I hit 6500 rpm...I get a check engine code 16 (Fuel injectors)....I am gonna do some tests

The reason why I do not believe it is the valves is because my compression is excellent accross the board (189,186,191,188). However, I do know that the pistons are close to slapping the valves......maybe this is the case....I dunno

-The block is completly stock B20B.
-I am running B16 cams right now. I also have a set of GSR cams lying around (Is there any difference?)
-What cams would you recommend running??

I read that thread 92b16vx.....very good thread. Maybe this is my problem.....maybe the valves are just nicking the top of the pistons. Like I said, I have had my B17a head resurfaced a few times. This obviously brings my valves closer to the pistons. If in fact the valves were hitting the pistons....wouldn't my compression be down?

WEll i dunno if this is rite but this is just what i thought of when you described your problem. On my mini me (d16a6 block with d16z6 head) when vtec engages it also makes a clicking noise just when it engages. That is normal, All of the mini me Writeups on the swap i have red say that to test to see if your vtec sylenoid is working just take the 1 wire coming out of it and connect it to a positive 12v source and if it works you should here a click (that is the sylenoid engaging) so i think it is normal. Mine does it and my friends does it also, we have ours hooked up to RPM activated switches and you dont here it with hood down but if you are standing over the engine bay with hood up you can here it engaging. Just a slight little "tick". Just 1, not alot of ticks, just 1 =)
-dan

Hatchboy,

That is exactly what mine does....1 click once it hits vtec. I hear everything. I am glad to hear that someone else has this problem...or is it a problem!

well if its the stock b20 block and the pistons weren't shaved then it could be the valves hitting the pistons. just a thought

Back