My Engine is Missing around 3000RPM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

It seems like ever since i did a regular tune up on my rex, it misses around 3000 rpm. Its only when i hold it around there or i'm accelerating slowly, not when i'm driving normally. There are only two things i can think of that might be the problem- either i didn't gap the plugs right, or the dist. rotor doesn't work, since i didn't change it cuz it's fuckin hard. maybe those things don't have anything to do with it, i don't know. BTW my motor is the D15 and has about 190,000 miles.
thanks

well i think its your dis. coil..plus there a spring in your dis. that sometimes jumps...check your dis. coil if that dont work try checkin your plugs and make sure there in the right place...my EX did the samething...would jump and spurter around 4k..hope this helps ya out man..

same problem here and i've been asking about this for awhile, no replies so far.

i have a CEL for IAV sensor and I'm not sure if it has to do with anything.

anyone else had this problem?

Well shit ill jump on the bandwagon too, when im at part throtle or accelerating slowly i get the same thing like its missing, but if i nail it, it clears right up and drives fine, if anyone knows please help me, its pissing me off.

dis. coil..plus there a spring in your dis. that sometimes jumps...check your dis. coil

does this mean i could check/fix it myself? or have it rebuilt/buy a new one?
its a bitch to drive with the problem, when i dont pay attention i get that jerking with the clutch engaged.....feels like the engine's gonna rip out of the mounts.

thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've always thought it was one of my CEL's because I have CELs up the wazoo.

Try putting some of them electric grease on all the electrical connection.

At the ignition coil connector (the + and - wires), coil spring, plug wire boot terminal, spark plug termial connector.... anywhere that has an open metal connection.

Had the same proplems too, did this an it fixed it.

change your rotor! my crx was missing at and above 3k for about 2 weeks, then i changed the cap and rotor...and that fixed it. should also change your spark plug wires.

if the gaps on your plugs are too big, it will just kill your engine's power and make it feel really sluggish.

another question from the electrical idiot:

are there any differences between OEM rotors/cap, aftermarket (autozone) rotors/cap, and say MSD and Crane stuff?

I understand MSD and Crane caps have a extra plug for their coil blasters or whatever its called, and I understand it's not needed unless I am pushing holy amount of power out of the 1.6 where my spark isn't enough. I always thought it was just a BS upgrade for the average hondas, much like the fuel rails.

also, noobvang, i know where the + and - are, but what does a coil spring look like? I've never had the guts to mess around with a distributor, those things are kinda expensive.

thanks for all the help.

rixxxceboy,
I (and the other 2 members) are only missing around 3000 under very light throttle. I can drive around all the time with more than 50% throttle and it never misses.

do you think it could be the cap & rotors?

i'm a little excited because all the dumbass shops around here have no idea what's wrong, they kept telling me its the fuel system, now i can finally get it fixed :rolleyes:

The coil spring is the one that acutally touches with the dist. cap. It should be located at the end of the extending arm from the coil.

Change the cap and rotors first. Then if it still does this, then use my method.

Originally posted by word@Jul 11 2003, 12:27 AM
another question from the electrical idiot:

are there any differences between OEM rotors/cap, aftermarket (autozone) rotors/cap, and say MSD and Crane stuff?

i've wondered the same thing...

Originally posted by word@Jul 11 2003, 03:30 AM
rixxxceboy,
I (and the other 2 members) are only missing around 3000 under very light throttle. I can drive around all the time with more than 50% throttle and it never misses.

do you think it could be the cap & rotors?

i'm a little excited because all the dumbass shops around here have no idea what's wrong, they kept telling me its the fuel system, now i can finally get it fixed :rolleyes:

hmm no then. the harder i accelerated, the more it missed. if its not missing whjen you give it alot of gas, then yes, its probably a fuel delivery problem. have u tried replacing your fuel filter? that would be the first thing i'd do.

oxygen sensor. end of story .. mine was doing the same thing at partial throttle, i put a new one in and problem fixed.

Back