MY experience with my Turbo ZC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm just sharing my little experience with my turbo ZC motor project I just got done going threw. First off I DO 100% ALL my own work. The shop that I work at I had several other tech.'s(mechanics) look at the motor and all said what happen to the motor was not a result of something I did it was going to happen whether the boost was on it or not. I have been messing/tuning ZC's for alittle over 3 years now. Basicly since I've gotten into Imports and Racing. I had raced my ZC for the last two years and finally decided that I could make the power and you CAN'T make the power I wanted with just basic bolt ons so I researched ALOT about boost and decided to try it. I decided to use a JUNKYARD or Homemade set-up so to say cause a greddy kit , DRAG , REV HARD was just not worth the money boosting a stock motor. I"ll post at the bottem my set-up and anyone that wants pic.'s or see the pic.'s of the motor and the " AFTERMATH " e-mail me I'll send them to you ( zccivichb@thezcr.com ). I had a turbo ZC successfully for about 4 weeks and I LOVED it everyday. It was hard to find races since I was running NO exhaust just a dump pipe and its sounded beastly but I managed to get in acouple of kills before it blew. I will be turboing my new project motor ( LS/VTec )I'm putting in my B16 right now so I can have my car back on the road and I'm in the process right now of building it. Anyway back to boost. Having a turbo honda was alot better then I expected but first let me tell all those that are new to the game and wanna try it. I thought it'd only take me 4 hours to install it. I worked for 15HOURS staright no breaks no eating from the time I yanked all my N/A stuff out to the time I finally got it running. When it was running I was pushing 7PSI on a stock internal ZC I was using a DSM SMIC that sat in my air boc loctaion so from the outside you couldn't tell it was turbo'd. For one of two reasons one the intercooler being where it was cut down on the length of the charge piping which helps make the turbo spool faster which the thing spooled fast as hell. Also I didn't want some BIG as front mount advertising what I had so some punk kit and steal my ride and taking everything I wokered hard for also I see alot of turbo civics with these big front mounts that are not nessecary for the car thats only pushing 6-7PSI. A big intercooler may look cool but it's not practical. I have two friends that are using stock DSM SMIC in the side of their bumpers in their EFs that boost more efficiently then the kid down the road with a 92' Civic with a Apexi Turbo kit and a huge Apexi GT front mount. Remember Bigger isn't always better with turbo hondas when it comes two intercoolers.Intsalling: I had to switch to a 92' civic Radiator since the stock EF rad. was too big for my turbo. I used a 94' Del Sol DOHC VTEC Radiator. The twin cam Rads are two row not one which is alot better trust me. I did everything I could to free up room but everything still was a tight fit ( ex. I relocated my battery to my truck , junked the A/C , smalled radiator , FAL slim Fan ) Also in my eyes you have to be very patient when tunning with just a AFC hack method since if your not careful you'll run into detonation and blow the whole motor. I got alot of " I told you'd blow the motor " When it blew but I always came back with " Atleast I had the balls to try and got that far unlike some people trying to make power with just a I/H/E ". I'm mow building the new motor with better internals , sleeving the block , and I'm now going with a DRAG or some other company that makes a kit For my car instead of making one myself again. I'm also going to be using a Stand alone system instead of a AFC hack again. Let me tell you ZC's are great motors I've had nothing but good luck and have ALOT of kill stories with it but I've baicly been there and done that now with the ZC's and I'm going with a B series. I now have the funds , the place to work on it , and the knowledge to do what I want to do and if I don't like it I'll switch back but I do HIGHLY recommend the ZC to anyone that wants a good motor but doesn't have the funds to go B series. I whooped alot of B series motors with my ZC and I would stick with it but I want to try something new. Here's my set-up e-mail me for pic.'s cause I don't knw how you guys post pic.'s here:
91' Civic HB
HF manifold with adapter plate
TD04 Turbo ( It came off a brand new WRX )
DSM 450cc injectors
DSM 1G BOV
DSM SMIC
SS briaded oil lines and water lines
Custom charge piping
Apexi S-AFC unit
Holly inline fuel pump
Custom 8MM wires
I just retarded timing from the Dizzy. A MSD BTM isn't really nessecary for under 8PSI but you can use it to be safe.
The AFTERMATH:
I was in the middle of still trying to fine tune the injectors when I was at my shop I was coming back from the test run coming down the road to my shop when I was at almost full boost getting ready to shift into 3rd gear when I heard a loud Click Bang I emediately shut the car off and cost into my shop luckly it happened near my shop and not somewhere far. I looked at my friend in the passenger seat and said " Dude that was the motor ". My friend was in disbelief thinking it was something like a axle but it wasn't. I dropped a Valve in the number 4 cycliner blowing a hole threw my piston and blowing the whole motor to shreads. Nothing was salvageable from the motor except the intakemanifold and turbo system. I've learned alot from this and hopefully the next one will be better but like I said butting the turbo on it didn't cause this I guess from the abuse I put the motor threw all my co-workers told me it would have happened sooner or later just sooner with the turbo.

Yea after typing it I did think it was alittle long but oh well. I am selling the three trannies I have , Dx , ZC , and Si. But it's gonna be hard to ship it unless you live near me.

I live in maryland. Dnag I didn't think the lenght of the subject would get more attention then the subject itself. $75 for the Si tranny e-mail if you're iterested: zccivichb@thezcr.com

I could ship it but it'll cost alot of $$ so it's really not worht shipping If I can't sell either tranny I'm going to make a Si/ZC Hybrid tranny and sell that. I'll be able to get more and sell it easier but I really don't have the time to do it right now.

ive just bought a zc with an lsd tranny and im puttin it in right now i jus wanna know if ill have any probs.

besides going threw 6 dizzy's it was a good motor. ZC's are funny and one day they'll work fine and the next it'll give you or act stupid but for the money you can't beat it.

how much for the zc trans?
i live in va and im switching to a zc in my crx as i speak
and if you got any other nice goodies for sale that would be nice to know!!
do you want to sell the turbo set up?

Back