MY F****** car was impouned by NJ

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sablo16

Well most ppl give the moral of the story at teh end, however, here i will give it at the beginning: Dont live in NJ

I drove my way to morristown nj to a state inspection facility to have my suspension checked... :angry: this is because the wise n all knowing government of NJ decided to pass a law that requires all vehicles w/ modified suspensions to be tested for "road worthyness" in otehr words BS...

ok so im at the station n im waiting n waiting next thing i kno a cop shows up...ok fine w/e they call me inside teh building n inform me that hte transmission was stolen out of a car in california! ... :wtf: they then inform me that i can be arrested for receiving stolen property n the nJ state police have to investigate thsi matter n that the car cannot leave the grounds until then...but i talked to my lawyer n they cant arrest me cuz i bought the car in good intentions...so wat i think is that the shop that built the car just put in a hot trans...so i have to suffer now as a pedestrian...but odds that i will have to wait until #1 teh cops get around to sorting this out #2 i hear from the insuracne company on the stolen Civ n c if they want their trans back odds r they wont n hopefully ill b able to buy it off them...then i just have to worry about getting the car thru regular inspection which will now be impossible because the guys at teh DMV inspected the whole car so now i ahve to correct the following:

-Tint
-LR brake drag (i knew bout this)
-Exhaust is not baffled its just "straight thru"
-under neon wires (thought it wasnt a big deal)
-lose body panels (dent)
-i need to shop these guys some sort of "documentation" on teh turbo system to make sure its hooked up properly (any ideas on wat i should show them?)
-Headlites r not DOT or SAW approved

does anyone have any clue on this crap...i personally think theyre just busting my balls

Quick history on the car itslef : build in texas by vsv performance then went to penn. then i bought it from a guy in penn.

Where things stand now tho are that im out of a car n i mite not get this car back...because they mite decide to rip it apart to check for other stolen parts

So please if anyone out there has gone thru this hell share ur stories w/ me help a guy out here

U can check out my car on cardomain...
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view...?page_id=342039
Irene...RIP?

that sucks man... maybe its my tranny, hehe. i would love to find all my shit that got stolen, and then cut those fuckers balls off. :)

that sucks man ive never had my car impounded before or know anyone that this has happend to...till now...all i can say that sucks ass and i hope you get everything straightend out

Originally posted by sablo16@Jul 23 2003, 05:54 PM
-i need to shop these guys some sort of "documentation" on teh turbo system to make sure its hooked up properly (any ideas on wat i should show them?)

Show them the documentation that you got with the turbo system to say that is in fact legal, and also show them the paperwork of the installation job from whatever shop you had it done at.

If you installed it yourself, then I dunno what to tell you... :blink:

correction...STILL DO (goto law school)

uhh again, im not an attorney (yet) nor do i claim to be the legal advice hotline. i still have two more years and many many clases to go.

BUT,

the laws vary from state to state (im in Ca.) and because he bought the car in "good intentions" does not mean that he gets to keep the tranny.

its like if i jacked your t.v. in ur living room, then sold it to Pissedoffsol, fraudently (sp) representing it as my own.

im pretty sure the property still belongs to you even tho pissedoffsol bought it without realizing it was stolen.

uhh, he might have recourse against the shop who did the install or whatever, i just kinda skimmed through the original story a bit.....

My best advice to the everyone on here....
is when you do business (ESPECIALLY when dealing with imports)
its always a good idea to get shit documented and in writing....

ya it may take more time, but if shit like this ever pops off, you'll at least have an alibi.

other than that, i can offer no other advice without going to the state laws and whatnot and also looking up precedent for the state he lives in....

which i WILL NOT do.

basically thats all attorneys do.

1) look up the law.
2) look up previous cases to get an idea (plus an arguement) on what would be the possible outcome of the case.

its not that hard.

lexisnexis.com :D

enjoy your hours and hours of fruitfull legal research :lol:

Yea man i live in NJ, and these "new laws" they're talkin bout are madd gay. Iheard from a friend that if you have exhaust on your car then you need to have paperwork showin that you had it professionally installed. But, i see tons of mustangs and other cars like that around here with these big shiny pipes on them, i even know someone with a camaro thats runnin straight pipes "no cat" and he passed inspection fine. Well, luckily im movin to Maryland :D hopefully they aren't like that down there.

ryanwolfe911 if u just went thru what i went thru youd be typing a little sloppy im sure...

dveit really the only thing i have from the people who installed the turbo system is the receipt i have a garrett t4 setup w/ tial wastegate n shit n he was busting my balls over the wastegate saying its just bypassing the exhaust completely i dont even wanna write down half the shit this guy said it got me so mad their just fucking idiots...does anyone know of any literature online i could bring to these assholes that would just shut the up?

n congrats for getting out of this hellhole standdstill

dude i totally would believe me except im 18 n i start college soon...i might have to sell the car i mean even if this works out ill still have a lot of trouble getting it thru inspection...and i would sooner have someone enjoy the car rather than have it sitting in the garage collecting dust...i love my car so hopefully it wont come to that but i have to accept the possibility that NJ may not be the place for her...you have no idea how pissed off i am about all this

thats an option...but i still need something for a daily driver...i was considering just buying a crx n using the b16/b20 outta that to power the rex...neone here have experience w/ rexes? common problems? idk wats gonna happen so i like to have all my options out in front of me

unfortunately im stuck in NJ im going to rutgers...

in the words of rixXxceboy basically im fucked

i probably will get my car back but it wont b of ne use to me cuz i wont b able to get it thru inspection...but u kno i thought the MVS guys cant bitch about nething if it meets emissions...comments experiences neone? (pardon the typing im in a rush)

#1 make sure the engine is LEGAL.

#2 remove the ID tag from the transmission if you have ANY doubt about it's history.

#3 Move to a county or locate a friend in said county where inspections are not required, and have one bill, and your bank statement sent there. I LOVE the guy that's my hookup out in the county. No inspection, and tags are 25% cheaper! :thumbup:

Back