My Farewell To HS...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That is great news congrats buddy.

And out of Cali means kiss the smog B.S. laws good-bye....thats a huge plus to attempt to compensate for the humidity and cold ass winters lol Can you say.....K-Swap? I know I would have one if I could!

And if you go...let me know about that 2.5" cat we talked about....I just bought a 98+ spec JDM ITR header and I need to figure soemthing out
I've already held back plans for my car just incase I leave lol.

I'll let you know about the cat if I don't end up using it :) but it's so pretty sitting next to all my tools :D

That is great news congrats buddy.
Thank You sir :)

are you in the Mercedes program where you have to pay. cuz i graduated from the rancho campus in Jan. and i was thinking about taking that program but i got accepted into the Volvo MSAT program 5 days after i graduated. but by the sound of it you should have tried out for an MSAT. So i just started Volvo this past monday and its great.

Congrats im glad to see they got the mercedes msat back.

By the way at your school did they require take in performance type classes as part of core class. I know me and andrew (slow&delirious) had to take nascar engines 1&2 as part of are core classes. Just wondering

wait im not sure if they brought the MSAT back because i know for a fact they came back as an elective now where you have to pay for it. but at the rancho campus they only made us take power and performance 1 &2 and superstreet thats it nothing with nascar though

are you in the Mercedes program where you have to pay. cuz i graduated from the rancho campus in Jan. and i was thinking about taking that program but i got accepted into the Volvo MSAT program 5 days after i graduated. but by the sound of it you should have tried out for an MSAT. So i just started Volvo this past monday and its great.
I couldn't take an MSAT :( I have 2 kids, another on the way, and moving them to where ever the MSAT I got into was located wouldn't be feasible.

Congrats im glad to see they got the mercedes msat back.

By the way at your school did they require take in performance type classes as part of core class. I know me and andrew (slow&delirious) had to take nascar engines 1&2 as part of are core classes. Just wondering
I'm not in the MSAT. I'm taking the new Mercedes STARt elective. The Mercedes MSAT ELITE, is no longer available. Mercedes dropped it all together.

I took 3 total performance type classes Courses 2 and 29 (Power and Performance 1A and 1B) and Course 3 (Super Street/Street Legal Performance)

Check out my Course 2 and 29 build in the auto multi media section :)

wait im not sure if they brought the MSAT back because i know for a fact they came back as an elective now where you have to pay for it. but at the rancho campus they only made us take power and performance 1 &2 and superstreet thats it nothing with nascar though
Yeah, the Mercedes MSAT is long gone. Not just from UTI. Mercedes dropped it all together. I am taking the Mercedes elective but the instructors and the old ELITE contacts are actually treating the STARt students as if it were an MSAT. Trying to place them in dealerships and the whole 9 :)

Good luck with the rest of classes. As someone who did graduate from UTI - AND got a job in the field that pays well - stay focused. The biggest thing, other that grades is attendance. I cannot stress that enough. Additionally, keep you driving record sqeaky clean. I've seen so many talented kids get passed over because of bad driving records.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and to be "that guy" in a class where collectively, anyone who appears to go above and beyond is considered a suckup. I did that same thing, and guess what - I'm gainfully employed at a great highline dealership and the so-called know it alls who laugh at dumb questions are stuck at Midas.

Don't get suckered into buying shit tons of tools frame Strap-On. Wait until you graduate and you actually know what you'll need.

Read ahead. Cannot stress this enough. Nothing will make you sound like a complete genius to an instructor more than when your class gets asked a advanced question on something you will learn later on in the phase.

I don't know what you automotive knowledge background prior to UTI is, but assuming you know more than the average UTI student - resist the urge to blatantly to rub it in their faces.

SOC's dont mean much if you don't have the attendance, driving record and experience to match them.

I attended 72 weeks of UTI + FACT + Audi Academy, and to be sure I learned 50% of what I use to diagnose cars in FACT/Academy. The basic UTI program does not teach electrical diagnosis the way is should be taught, and their methods are pretty outdated. FACT is more time and more money but worth the effort.

It will get tiring, it will get boring, tough and frustrating. But stick with it. Stay on time, work it out. It may seem like you'll never get anywhere in a sea of retards - but you will.

My overall attendance is 99.88%. Living 75 minutes from the campus, working 7 hours a night, and still taking care of my kids, I say that's a damn good attendance rate :) Thanks for the advice but as you can tell, i'm not the 18 or 19 year old UTI douche bag that the field has come to know. It took me 8 years after graduating high school to decide if I wanted to turn my hobby into a career. I think it's safe to say i'm more than focused at this point lol.

Honestly the people who spend time out of high school and make a conscious effort to excel are the ones who make it. The ones that half ass everything slide by are always the ones badmouthing the school. Granted, UTI ain't perfect but you get what you give in some respects. I hear you on the time thing too. Short of having kids (I give you credit), I commuted 60 minutes each way, worked 1pm-7pm mon-fri/full day sat and maintained a 99.1% attendance. Mind you I had to deal with snow, ice, traffic and accidents. But I think in my case (and yours) maturity is what really helps.

I burned two years out of high school at a 4-year college before I learned I didn't want to sit in front of a cubicle all day.

No doubt the school ain't perfect but some people feel like UTI should do everything for them. Find them a job, help them keep a job, ect... I enjoy UTI for what it is :)

yeah i know of a lot of people that graduated and are mad because UTI couldnt find them a job. but thats because they dont go out looking for the jobs they expect UTI to do that for them. you have to be willing to go out there and find jobs yourself rather than counting on someone else to do it for you. and thats what most people dont get.

I place blame on UTI as well. They say "job placement for life" and some people take it literally. People fail to realize that they left out the word "help" between "placement" and "for."

Also, UTI needs to have an entrance exam put in place. The questions don't even have to be automotive related. Just to see if this school is meant for this person or not. When I started, I had to take some retarded "entrance exam." Some of the questions were like "If there are 99 apples and Monkey A takes 18, Monkey B takes 34, How many are left for Monkey C?" Dumbass questions like that. You had to answer like 21 correctly in 12 minutes or something. And I heard this test was for the California campuses only. So the stupid asses who couldn't pass it were being told to enroll at one of the out of state UTI campuses and transfer to either the Sacramento campus or the campus I went to, Rancho Cucamonga. Oh, just recently they made it to where you don't even need a High School Diploma or even a GED to get accepted.

I actually plan on going back in 5-10 years to teach. I'm gonna make sure there are some quality techs being pumped out...

I would honestly consider a teaching job later on in life when I can afford it. I'd like to give back, and I'd also like to see UTI update its damn curriculum.

Also, UTI needs to have an entrance exam put in place. The questions don't even have to be automotive related. Just to see if this school is meant for this person or not.

Not to shit on anybody going to UTI or a community college, but that would be the difference between a trade school and university... the trade schools will also be more than happy to take your $$$ while you stumble through the curriculum, then let you flounder when you graduate or decide to quit. They ARE there to make money.

Back