My First Swap - B16A2 into 99 Civic Ex 5Spd

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joebeajetski

I'm looking to up the power at little in my civic. I've read that putting the B16A2 should be an easy fit in my car, but I noticed that wiring changes are a must due to the change from SOHC to DOHC.

This will be my first swap and I'm concerned about any complications about this specific task, especially the emissions since I'm in PA.

Can someone please outline the key issues I must watch for and fill me in about passing emissions and anyway around that if need be.

Thanks. Any help is much appreciated.

Your engine itself is what decides your emission requirements, not the vehicle model. So if you swap in a b20, you need to pass emissions for the b20. Capiche?

btw, a b16a wont be cheap unless it's stolen.. fyi. That's why I'm doing a turbo instead of a swap. And really, after I put low compresison pistons in a b16a itll be just as weak as my stock motor, and cost 2500 dollars plus swap.

don_radeon said:
Your engine itself is what decides your emission requirements, not the vehicle model. So if you swap in a b20, you need to pass emissions for the b20. Capiche?

btw, a b16a wont be cheap unless it's stolen.. fyi. That's why I'm doing a turbo instead of a swap. And really, after I put low compresison pistons in a b16a itll be just as weak as my stock motor, and cost 2500 dollars plus swap.
That emissions statement does not apply to Arizona, the car's emission standard is tested here, not the engine's emission standard.

And b16s can be had for cheap not stolen.
The wiring changes from a SOHC (non VTEC) to a b16a2 are minimal depending on your car it might be really simple.
We need more info on your car, and the engine.
The b16a2 is not the same as the B16A sir2.

(reread the title, use the Ex harness on the b16a2, everything will plug in. You have an easy swap ahead.)

Last edited:
Back