my future setup...C&C are welcomed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adikgemok

Hi all,

To make a long story short, i will be owning a 92 civic sedan with a jdm b16a that is already swapped in it by the previous owner...i'm thinking of boosting the b16 for more additional power (of course i will be doing some tests on the engine to check the condition ;) )...this car will be my Daily Driven car...so i wont be pushing too hard lol...

after doing some research...i came up with a setup and looking forward for any comments and critics or advice on it...

GOAL = 220whp - 270whp (160 ~ 180 lb/ft of torque is possible)
PSI = 7~9 PSI

ENGINE
-Stock B16 Bottom End
-Stock B16 Tranny
-ARP Head Studs for B16 Block
-Cometic Head Gasket
-New OEM ITR Oil Pump
-New OEM Water Pump
-Power Enterprise Belting

HEAD
-JDM ITR/CTR cams + springs + retainers
-Ported and Polish
-Stock IM

TURBO MISC.
-Custom Log Manifold (made by me lol)
-TD05H 16G6 EVO III
-2.5" DP (need A/C where i live :p...kinda hot)
-Cheap Intercooler (like ebay ones...but from a local performance shop)
-2.25" (Hot Side) / 2.5" (Cold Side) IC piping
-38mm Wastegate (no brand chosen yet...maybe a used one from a local junk shop)
-BOV (same as wastegate)
-3 Bar Map Sensor
-DIY Catch Can (for my PCV system)

FUEL / MANAGEMENTS
-Chipped ECU and tuned with Crome Pro
-DSM 450cc Injectors + Resistor Box
-Wallbro 255 Fuel Pump
-Sard FPR (maybe...)

ENGINE MONITORING AND MISC

-Boost Meter
-Oil Pressure Meter
-EGT Meter
-Turbo Timer

Well thats about all i guess...are all the parts listed enuf for my budget turbo build ? Some questions on my mind are :

Is the log manifold ok for my power goals ? Can't afford a ramhorn at this moment but maybe a DIY ramhorn in the future :D

Is the turbocharger good enuf ? DSM turbos are easier to get in my country...will it hit full boost at 4000 ~ 4500rpm ?

Will the injector be ok for this setup and goal ?

Is the EGT meter ok for monitoring ? Wideband A/F meters are kinda pricy but maybe i will get one later on...but in the mean time will the EGT meter be enuf ? I know i should monitor and prevent the engine goes way above 1400F...but will the EGT be affected by surrounding weather ? I live in an asia country and the weather is kinda hot...will the readings be a bit different ?

WOAHHH...too many questions :huh:...sorry guys...but thanks in advance for reading this post...looking forward for some response...

why is it everyone who wants to start a turbo build has a goal for psi .... you shouldnt.... have a hp goal and use whatever boost it takes to get there..

do a compression test on the b16 first before you start buyin parts and wat knott..

well thx for the reply...

@eg6kid
yeah...i shouldn't put PSI on...but i will hope i could achieve that kind of power goal and not blowing up my motor...lol

@efhondakid
really the GSR cams are better for turbo? i seen somewhere on HT i guess a guy suggest the ITR and CTR cams...hoping someone can shed some light here...

@!JDM EF9!
yeah...thats the 1st thing on my to do list...wont be buying parts before all necessary test done to the engine...

ITR/CTR cams work well with boost too, but you will want adjustable cam gears so that when you get it dyno tuned they can dial out some of the overlap. boost and aggressive overlap dont really get along. i gained 10hp from adjusting the overlap.

I think he was suggesting the GSR cams because they do work well with turbo and they are very cheap, $50 for a used set is normal.

ITR/CTR cams work well with boost too, but you will want adjustable cam gears so that when you get it dyno tuned they can dial out some of the overlap. boost and aggressive overlap dont really get along. i gained 10hp from adjusting the overlap.

I think he was suggesting the GSR cams because they do work well with turbo and they are very cheap, $50 for a used set is normal.

yeah...GSR cams are a bit cheaper here too...ITR/CTR goes around $250 USD in my country for a complete cams+spring+retainers...

hmm...i might go with the GSR then...:)

btw...are those log manifold ok for the power goal ? and what about the 2.5" DP ?
would there be seriuos back pressure on my engine later on ?

The best thing about GSR cams is that you can basically slap them in without adjustable cam gears and see a difference on a turbo'd setup. The CTR/ITR cams require some fine tuning to get them to work well with an FI setup. Otherwise, you're just pushing air and fuel through the engine.

The setup looks solid, but I have a feeling that you're going to need more than 7-9 PSI from that turbo to achieve that goal.

You're running a fairly small turbo on a high compression engine. You don't have to worry about cylinder pressures with that setup, so just run whatever it takes to achieve your power goal. Good luck mang.

thx guys...like eg6kid said...go for the goal...push what ever PSI to take to the goal required...

hmm...TD05H 16G is considered a small turbo? it looks big enuf for me lol :p...but i know the famous super 60 is bigger rite?
kinda hard to get it here...to order from one dealer in the US the shipping will cost 1/3 of the turbine price :(

for now i will settle with a DSM turbo...;)

great forum...thx for the feedback :thumbsup:

Back