My GSR has no Power. Please help!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Poweredbyrcade

For some time now my 93 gsr has been feeling really sluggish and slow. What happens is that when I drive the car cold usually it feels normal and can burn rubber at times whithout trying but when the engine gets hot it starts to feel sluggish. The RPM stays at around 500 or 200 and when I get off a red light the car feels like Im starting in second gear. Sometimes even the car feels like its being held back and then all of a sudden its let loose and you feel a slight power increase.

I don't know what could be wrong I thought it was the fuel pressure since I discovered that it was a couple of psi below the recommended specs but I adjusted it since the motor has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and its up to specs now however the problem still persists. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it

I assume your car isn't throwing any codes? I'd recommend checking that your o2 sensors/wires aren't damaged by any means and have someone hook it up to see if it's running rich. A lot of auto part stores will do it for free. That's saying your compression is fine. I wouldn't jump straight to fuel delivery if you haven't ruled that out.

Last edited:
oh also I adjusted the throttle cable to increase the idle rpm and when I did that the rpm would stay at around 1000 but would go up and down from like 700 to 1000. Im not sure if that can help diagnose the problem further

oh also I adjusted the throttle cable to increase the idle rpm and when I did that the rpm would stay at around 1000 but would go up and down from like 700 to 1000. Im not sure if that can help diagnose the problem further

Why exactly did you do this...?

I don't get any codes. If it was running rich how would I fix it though.
If you have a hackjob of an exhaust, your sensors could be all sorts of confused, but that'd usually throw up a CEL. An injector could possibly be sticking, It depends. Anyhow, listen to Turbomirage, he's good at this stuff.

well The reason why I adjusted the throttle cable was because my friend told me just to adjust it but I knew that wasn't the problem but the weird idle it was something that I spotted when I did it. I put it back anyways

the motor is a stock b17 motor with only an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, DC exhaust headers, a aftermarket fuel rail and thats it. Its nothing. Everything added to the car was done by previous owner. however it seems to me that who ever did anything to the car was a do it yourselfer amateur. Everything in the car is well taken care of so every single problem Ive encountered has been an easy fix. But this problem is the last problem that still persist.

I haven't replaced the injectors and when I had the fuel pressure problem I replaced the fuel pressure regulator from an LS and the pressure was even lower and the car was worse. but I figured out that the pressure regulator I had was just not adjusted well so I put the original one back and fixed the problem. Since Now I know the fuel pressure is okay I can't figure out whats wrong.

When the car gets that being held back feeling I dont get a check engine or anything. plus it happens in the middle of the road so I can't diagnose it. Im thinking it maybe faulty injectors but Im not sure.

I still dont understand however if it is running too rich then how do I fix it. Ill try replacing the injectors cause thats the only thing I haven't done besides replacing the fuel pump which I know is okay.

I still dont understand however if it is running too rich then how do I fix it. Ill try replacing the injectors cause thats the only thing I haven't done besides replacing the fuel pump which I know is okay.
When you take your car to someone with the proper equipment and get it hooked up, they can see how each specific sensor and such is acting. Then they could tell you what needs to be fixed. It is very well possible that you are having a fuel delivery issue, so this is something that doesn't hurt to rule out.

But once again, this is saying that you've already ruled out a compression problem with a compression and leak down test. I'll admit it doesn't seem like that's the problem so far, but they're quite easy and not very time consuming.

I'm pretty sure your stock injectors are 240cc, but do your research and double check.

Last edited:
check your timing. my ls did the same thing. and both cams were off by a tooth. and yeah it ran strong when cold, but not when warm

well I did a compression check some time ago and everything was fine but I then recently rebuilt the motor. The problem was still there before and after I rebuilt it. I do remember however that when I got the car about a year and a half ago it didn't pass smog until like the third try. The mechanics never told me what they did but everything was okay. but a couple a weeks before I rebuilt the engine the exhaust has a bit dirty that it even left behind some black dust on my bumper. My tailpape is also completely covered with black soot on the inside. but ever since the rebuild the exhaust has been cleaner and no new soot has been getting on my bumper. I know some mechanics and Ive asked them to check out what I was talking about and they all tell me everything is fine. not only that but every single time I go to another mechanic to figure out whats wrong they all do the same thing. dirty my car and then tell me that nothing is wrong. thats why Id rather do it myself.

The timing is fine I believe because during the rebuild I had major timing problems and I fixed it in the end. I know the timing should be okay since I did everything to properly adjust it already.

The timing on the motor may be fine, but check your ignition timing. Too retarded could sometimes feel like the car is sluggish.

and too advanced will give you pinging.

pick up a timing light from the store, $20. it has instructions on what to do. now im not sure if you have a wire that you have to jump to show base timing or not. on my obd1 mirage i did, otherwise it would not read correct timing at the light.

clogged cat whats your exhaust system like?? does it bottle neck? that can cause too much back pressure when it gets hot it can make it feel slugish.

Back