My intro laced with questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wakaba

So... hello I just bought a very well kept '92 Civic Hatch VTi (EG4) D15A automatic for $800. It was purchased to replace my wife's car that had a trans go south. Now she is driving the Mini, I get the Civic.

So here are my questions, and yes I tried a search.

does the auto and manual use the same wire harness, or can the auto be converted for use with a manual?

would it be a better route to keep the D15/auto and swap out the auto with a B16 after I find a wrecked DC2 or EG6/9?

pics will be posted soon...

You can use an auto harness on a manual, you'll have extra plugs left over though.

If it was me, and the car's currently running fine as-is, I'd leave it be until you get the motor you want to put in there. Good luck finding a wrecked EG with a B16 in it, your best bet is probably going to be to find a 94-up Integra and swap everything over. For the record, OBD2 integra harnesses will still plug-n-play with the OBD1 Civic harnesses - and since yours is a 92, it's pre-wired for VTEC. The only wire you'll have to run is for the knock sensor.

So I drove the car for the first time today, and it's meh.

The D15B isn't a bad motor, and I am guessing the trans is eating what torque the motor has.

searching for a B16A2 or A3

Attachments

• crop.JPG
    crop.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I think I am just going to work the suspension and swap the manual in. There are some nice Tein HR's for about $350 at a local used parts shop. The D15B is doing just fine, and honestly I will be dumping the car in 7mo anyway. Only time will tell really. But first I need to finish my project at hand. The resto of my wife's white mini. The red one is her daily driver, the white will be shipped to the states in a couple weeks, and the red one was for parts :eek:

Attachments

• DSC03013sm.JPG
    DSC03013sm.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC03016sm.JPG
    DSC03016sm.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 205
Yah honestly - Its a Honda and Honda's dont have a good rep for being "torquy." I love my Honda (EG) but even with the B16 its not high on torque.

Take the advice and find a motor 1st. Drive the car as is for now until all the prep work on the new motor is done and you can afford to have to car down for at least a couple of days. One thing Ive learned with swaps is you never know what issues you will run into.

Good thing its a 92 - as said above it already has VTEC wires and running a Knock Sensor wire is a cake walk.

Also to verify the OBD2 harness comment - Im running a GSR OBD2 harness and have had no problems from it thus far. Ive been driving on the new motor for about 6 months now.

put a b series in the cooper and keep the AT civic how it is.or heck, even the d would be better than whatever came in it.

Back