my key wont start car with OBDII ecu

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awais_uk

Hi, i've changed everything needed to swap my D16y8 with a B16a2 including the ecu and full wiring harness.

However my car wont start when the obdII ecu is plugged in, could this be because of the transponder key?

Any help really appreciated, thanks.

you got me there...

seems like it could be the ignition [switch] or something electrical

did you go over your ground points?

i've found the source of the problem i think, its because the key is coded with the OBDI ecu and not the OBDII ecu,

means im gonna have to get a new key made which has the cut of the origonal key but the code to match the new ecu...

costs £40 BUMMER!

Thanks loads for ur input tho.

your key shouldn't make a difference does the car even turn over i'm mean what does it do when you turn the key
is the CEL on ? if so whats the code

Last edited:
i get absoloutley nothing, engine wont even turn over, the ecu lights and ignitions lights are up but other than that nothing.

The car has a cat 1 alarm and immobiliser, and the key itself has a chip imbedded into it which sends out a signal to the ecu when the car is staring

but as i've replaced the ecu the codes are no longer the same,

which means i have to get a new key made with the code of the new ecu.

I think???:confused:

well i've never heard of a key with a chip sorry but you really need to check into that
but the first thing i would check is to see if the starter is plugged in there is a wire that clips on to the starter and if it's not clipped on good your car wont turn over

if you cant get it going after that then i would check the ignition and see if there are any wires spliced in if there are take them out and reconnect the wires with out the spliced sh-t

All the starters and wires are fine, i know this because the car will start when the original ECU is plugged in, just wont start when the OBDII ecu isplugged in.

you got a bad ecu kid get a new one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ECU's is fine, i've told the problem is that the transponder uni on the driver side footwell is linked to the ECU, however because i've changed the ECU i also need the transponder unit to go with it, without it i cant get passed the immobiliser unit which is why car wont start, so im gonna need the transponder unit from the donor car which i can tape the donor key to, or i can replace the lock set.

is it the only way :( ?

im not aware of a civic si ecu needing a transponder key, the type r i know does use that type of key and wont start without it.

Back