My latest project...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

well i have been working on this project for my architecture class for about 3 1/2 weeks now, and i finally turned it in tonight. The requirements were that we build a structure solely out of toothpicks and white glue. It must touch the table, base, ground, whatever, at 4 points, 12" apart. the points of contact could be no more than 1/8" in diameter, or 2x2 toothpicks. The structure had to be able to hold the weight of one Sweet's catalog, i know some of you will know what those are, but they are an Architecture, engineering, and contractors book. the book weighs about 10 pounds, and it had to be supported at least 12" off the table, at the lowest point.

soo, my idea was to use a spaceframe type of construction because of the strength and because it is lightweight. this is what i came up with:

gallery_22248_168_134632.jpg

gallery_22248_168_83577.jpg

It turned out petty good, but i wasnt sure about the strength of it becaseu of the top portion. I knew the legs themselves were ridiculously strong, but i thought the weakpoint was going to be the top. Well after i presented i got to test it. By the way they give us the option to test it until it breaks if we want, and thats what i wanted to do sooo here it is:

gallery_22248_168_63372.jpg

gallery_22248_168_129984.jpg

so thats what it ended up holding. after that we couldnt find much else to put on there, since we dont have a full set of those books, after the cinder blocks, there wasnt a lot there. i could have put the three bricks on, but i didnt think about it, and it wouldnt have made any difference, that thing wasnt going anywhere.

so ya i guess in pretty happy with the results. so far its the strongest one, the closest one only held 3 before it started to collapse. there is still a couple that are gonna be presented on Tues. but only 1 of them is gonna give me comp cause i know what he is doing and its good.

so ya thats it.

nice. we did shit like this in 7th gade tech class.

we had to build a bridge-like structure... basically two points on the ends holding up, and a weight was hung from the center. we only had a certain amount of feet of balsawood we could use too. it was fun :)

That's teh dope. You should like...design buildings or something.

Put a textbook on top and stand on that mofo...if you do, be sure and take a picture.

yeah we did that bridge thing in 5th Grade, but with popsicle sticks, it was pretty cool. the fuckin kid that EVERYone made fun of came in with a big ass block of popsicle sticks and glue, solid. when they put the weight on it the glue held it together and it basically just flexed down till the middle touched the table :lol: . that guy was a really nice guy, but a dumbass at the same time.

edit: yeai was gonna stand on it, but now that it held that i dont wanna mess it up. ehh i dont know i might try it and get a pic. oh and i am taking a scale to class next time to weigh all the stuff i put on it, jsut for me to know.

I was in science olympiad in High school and we did shit like that. We built 12g towers that held 40lbs out of balsa wood...and we weren't even raked high (like 30th place out of 50). Hell, some people a previous year built a cantalever sticking 30cm out from the wall that wieghted 5grams and held 40 lbs. You would be AMAZED at the strength of some materials.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Apr 15 2005, 10:12 AM
Hahaha, I like the Sweet's catalogs up there to add weight. :lol:
[post=487430]Quoted post[/post]​

that was the minimun reguirement, i Sweets catalog.

hey DOHC, are you still in school or are you already working as an architect, because i thought you said a while back you were in school, then in that last thread about what everyone does for a job, you said u were an architect. so i was just a little confused.

Back