My letter of Complaint

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Alright I'm not sure if anyone remembers but a while back i was complaining about my new manager that we got at Jiffy Lube. i was saying how he rips people off and is an asshole and stuff. The common response was "turn his ass in", so now that i just quit today, and I am going to boot camp on June 14, I decided to take some action. Now he cant retaliate cause i no longer work there. I just emailed a letter to the Human Relations department of Jiffy Lube, Intl. and the lady told me that it would immediately be forwarded to the CA representative and he could be in touch with me as soon as tommorrow. :lol: :lol: I cant wait to see this fucker get fired.

here's the letter:

May 20, 2004
Dear Sir or Madam:
My name is xxxx, and from October 2003 to May 20, 2004, I was employed by Jiffy Lube. The store I worked at is #1968 on Convoy St. in San Diego, CA. I am writing to Jiffy Lube, Int. because of ongoing problems at my store up until the time of my resignation. These problems include harassment, abuse, dishonesty about services performed, and unauthorized time edits. All of these problems revolve around the current manager, Jay Wolfe, who was transferred to #1968 in January 2004. Up until the time of this change in management, none of these problems occurred. The reason for the change, we were told, was that the franchise owner wanted our store to make $1.5 million in sales for 2004. In 2003 we made $1 million in sales, so they wanted to bring new managers in to make more money. They chose Jay, who came from store #897, which was in our district, to do this. The store he was originally at was known to be a store that made a lot of money, and as we soon found out, it was because he uses very dishonest selling techniques. These are just a few examples of the type of behavior I have observed since Mr. Wolfe arrived.
• From the time that Mr. Wolfe arrived at our store, we were pressured daily to sell a certain amount of services, and occasionally he would get mad at us if that quota was not met.

• He readily lies to customers to make a sale. Also, in the event that a customer is willing to buy a service, but wants to get it done fast, Jay will perform only a part of the service or none at all sometimes.

• I have also observed many times when he will substitute one service for another of the same price. An example I have seen is when he sells a Fuel Filter service, but we are unable to perform the service. He will just substitute a Fuel Injection Cleaning service because they are the same price, and he does not tell the customer about it.

• Aside from the dishonest service he gives customers, we, as employees, are treated unfairly. It would be an understatement to say that Mr. Wolfe has a “bad attitude.” He simply does not know how to work socially and guide employees. He tries to use intimidation as a way of managing, instead of leading by example as our former manager did very well.

• Unfortunately, his temper does not stop there. There was one incident that I know of in which another employee, who’s name I do not have permission to disclose, was hit by Jay in the back of the head. This occurred out of my eyesight, but I was told about it immediately by the employee. I was told that Jay intended for it to be a joke, but the hit was hard and very unnecessary.

• Another issue is time edits. At the end of the pay period Jay edits the times and rounds minutes off of each employees hours. This is done by either Jay or the Asst. Manager. There have also been complaints from other employees that the managers rearrange hours so that there is less overtime by moving overtime hours onto days where less hours are worked.

• The most recent issue I have had with Jay is about my school schedule and my departure to Marine Corps boot camp.
o I notified my store manager and district manager in December of 2003 that I had enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves and I would be leaving for boot camp in the summer. I was told that it would not be a problem, and I am well aware that by law I am allowed 180 days of active military leave, and have the right to have my same position, or one comparable for when I return. I specifically asked Jay about this subject when he first arrived at our store and he seemed like he did not want to do a military leave for me. He made it seem as if I needed to quit, then apply when I returned. Every time since then, when I have mentioned the subject, it seems as if he is pushing for me to quit.

o He has also given me many problems about being a student. I was originally hired with the management knowing that I am in school. I have always given the management my school schedule in advance so they can schedule my hours accordingly. For this last spring semester, school started on February 3. I had given my former manager my schedule at the end of December, before the management change. When it became the middle of January I asked Jay if he knew about my schedule. His response was rude, and he got angry that he had to work around my school schedule, which was night classes, all after 5pm, on Monday through Thursday. Multiple times since then, when there has been a meeting for the store, I have told Jay that I have to be at school and cannot miss class. He has always responded with threats that he would take away my bonus in retaliation.

o Last month, when I gave him my notice for my final date at work, Thursday May 27, he said no, that I had to work through the end of the week because I was going to leave them short-handed. He also asked again if that was going to be my two-week notice, more or less suggesting that it was, not really asking. By this time I had became tired of him constantly pressuring me to quit, and therefore I told him that it would be my two-week notice. I feel like I have been pressured into quitting this job by him because I do not do work to his liking.

o He then tried to embarrass me in front of the store by making a sign and posting it up on our bulletin board. The sign states, “Dustin’s last day of work is Monday May 31st. Going to the Girl Scouts Training.” I have possession of this note, and can provide a copy of it if needed. I understand that this could be taken as a harmless joke, but his intent was to try to embarrass me, and I did not appreciate it.

The reason I am informing Jiffy Lube, Inc. of these problems is because I believe that if they are not resolved, they could lead to this manager causing this store to get in a lot of trouble. I am well aware of the other Jiffy Lube stores in the Los Angeles area, and some recently in Oregon, getting in trouble for selling and performing services in a dishonest manner. From what I have seen, I believe that Mr. Wolfe does business much worse, and could cause a major problem to this company if an investigation is done on this store. There is also a very good chance that he will release too much of his temper on someone one day and actually hit someone. This is something that most of the employees of this store have discussed and agree on. Also, it is my firm belief that no employee should have to deal with his constant harassment and pressure to sell products.
I first considered contacting the nearest EEOC office about the harassment issues, but decided that I would first notify Jiffy Lube, Inc. about this problem to see if it could be resolved at this level, before taking the next step. I personally do not wish to take these complaints any farther than this, and I hope that you can resolve them.
I do have detailed records of the services I mentioned, and also can elaborate on the other information contained in this letter, including the sign he posted, if needed. Feel free to contact me, as I want this problem to be resolved. As of May 21, I can be reached either at (559)XXX-XXXX, which is my cell phone, or (559)XXX-XXXX. My primary line is the cell phone, and the other one is where I will be staying until I leave to boot camp. If I am unable to be reached you can leave a message at the second phone number.

Sincerely,
Dustin Michelson
Upper bay Technician
Jiffy Lube Store #1968
:cliffs: Read the letter lazy ass!!

The format i sent is a lot better, its the professional letter templat in Word, but the format doesn't show on here.

Last edited:
Good stuff I would never EVER take my car or let my gf or wife "if I had one" take their cars to a jiffy lube or other place like it

bah they can kiss my ass!

I never had been to one until i worked there, now i know why i didnt like them. Some are really honest, but you can never tell. Our old manager was dead honest and would not scam a customer, so i liked working for him.

Foreward this post to the local news...... :ph34r:

Originally posted by senate_9427@May 20 2004, 04:47 PM
• From the time that Mr. Wolfe arrived at our store, we were pressured daily to sell a certain amount of services, and occasionally he would get mad at us if that quota was not met.

wow, he wanted you guys to push the business services? and he wasnt pleased when you didnt meet a quota? i cant believe this guy. that is ridiculous.

:roll:

Originally posted by slohnda+May 20 2004, 07:03 PM-->
senate_9427
@May 20 2004, 04:47 PM

wow, he wanted you guys to push the business services? and he wasnt pleased when you didnt meet a quota? i cant believe this guy. that is ridiculous.

:roll:

If i am right, you were being sarcastic. well, yeah its all good to post up a quota that should be met, but he would tell people some bullshit stories and stuff to make them think they have to get stuff done. Also, It's very much against companie policy to show customers fluid samples, or talk to them once they are in the waiting room, both of which he still required us to do.

so...

anyone think this is enough stuff to get this prick fired? I also have a few more things to let them know once they call me back.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+May 20 2004, 08:38 PM-->
Airjockie
@May 20 2004, 07:02 PM
Foreward this post to the local news...... :ph34r:

:ph34r: :D

That will be my next step along with contacting the EEOC, if they don't take any action by the time i get back from boot camp. I jsut was on the EEOC website and saw that soem girl was just awarded 2.2 million from Outback steakhouse just because she was getting paid less than a male employee that carried the same position and had i guess been there the same amount of time.

i swear i will get them to file a suit against Jiffy lube for harassing me about everything, plus not letting me take a military leave, I'm sure i could get a little cash atleast..

Yeah, ill let everyone know what happens. Tommorrow i am leaving to go up north for 2 weeks, so i dont know how often i'll post. tehn i'll be back here in San Diego for a week before i go to boot camp.

Get your friend or fellow coworker to file a similar complaint. THat will verify that you are not just some disgruntled lazy employee. By the way, very professional writing. It was well thought out. :moon: :moon: to jiffy lube. Those places suck, but there are some honest businesses out there. I just take the time to do my own maintenance, because I am cheap, and don't want to pay someone to half ass a job I can do myself. :D

I think that it was a great letter, if he doesn't get fired from that I would say go up to somebody hire EEOC, as you say. Another letter would be good too.

I just spoke with the lady at Human resources,and she got the letter and forwarded it to the investigators. She said she was glad i spoke up and that this is a big problem, so by the sound of our convo, he will probably get fired.

Back