My Ls Vtec build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

intenseneal

About ready to start on my LS Vtec swap. Here is what I have so far. Please feel free to add to my list and give pointer or changes.
B16 head mile P&P
99 B18B1 block
Titanium retainers
3 angle valve job
GSR water pump and timing belt
P72 oil pump
ARP rod bolts
New GSR head bolts
Ls Vtec kit

oem head bolts or arp studs? personally, id just use arp's.

as you mentioned in another thread, you dont plan on revving past 8k, right? so titanium retainers are a waste/overkill. You'd be fine on OEM ITR/CTR retainers.

what pistons and cams do you plan on running?

I already have the new OEM head bolts so I will be using those and they are fine for my build. I got the retainers as a trade for my LS head so I could not pass it up. Cost of retainer is more than I could have sold the head for. I also plan to run some stage 2 cams in the near future, so I am building up the valve train now. I am running a stock Ls bottom end with ARP rod bolts, for now.

If you plan on running stage 2 cams later on, you'll sufficate those cams unless you up the compression. Go locate some B16 pistons, preferably P30's, shot peen the LS rods, throw the B16 pistons on them, and you're good to go.

P30 or P73 pistons on a balanced bottom end is my plan. But the stage 2 cams will be fine on my stock bottom end, yea higher compression will make the most out of them for sure. I may be trading my Del Sol to Superior Racing Development for a built high compression bottom end in late Feb.

What exactly is a stage two cam? Like, brand wise? Blox, Skunk2, Buddy Club, Brian Crower...

Are you in/near the Phoenix metro?

P30 or P73 pistons on a balanced bottom end is my plan. But the stage 2 cams will be fine on my stock bottom end, yea higher compression will make the most out of them for sure. I may be trading my Del Sol to Superior Racing Development for a built high compression bottom end in late Feb.
I'm guessing you've never driven a car that was over cammed... Do as you please, it's your car lol.

and... Blox has Competition and Tuner and Skunk2 has Tuner and Pro series... which ones?

Both require uprated springs (aftermarket). I used Supertech dual springs and their flat face valves in my B20V. I recommend those.

Blox tuner type B and the Skunk2 tuner stage 2. I like the stock idle. Or should I just get some XSpower cams LOL JUST KIDDING, I would never use that crap.

I have been waiting for over 2 weeks to get my head back from the machine shop. I picked it up last week but saw the valves were not seating so back it went. This is getting stupid. If I dint get my head soon and done correctly I will take it to another shop. I have all the parts I need to complete my LS Vtec but my head.

Back