My Muffler Talks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I've had exhaust for some time now and when I let off the gas and just cruise it will start to spitter when i'm whinding down from high rpm's, it doesn't really do it on the low rpm's but it sounds like i have a leak somewhere that could be sucking air in. Where do i check and how do i check ? Could it be something else ?

that is the non-existant backpressure talking. When you let off the gas, the exhaust doesn't come out at a positve constant pressure, because your piping is bigger than is necessary to flow such a low amount of air, so it will come out in little burbles. All exhausts that I have heard do this. Performance exhausts are designed to flow well at higher rpms, while stock exhausts are tuned for midrange cruising performance.

But I don't think I noticed this before, or maybe my radio was turned up a little too much. Could there be a small leak in say the exhaust manifold gasket ? If so, would that cause a little bit of air to leak in at high pressures ?

I have this problem too. I have 2" piping on my b16 and when I leave the throttle in the same position for a long time and then step on it, the engine sputters and then suddenly jolts into normal throttle response. WTF?

It is easy to check for leaks, just go to all the different connection spots on your exhaust, and feel for any air leaks. You will never have any "sucking" of air into you exhaust from a leak, the pressure of the exhaust is always going to be above atmospheric, so if there is a leak, you will feel it. I know I had a leak in my mazda's tubing, it was coming from a hole in the actual piping. Trust me, you can hear a leak at all rpms if it is running, even at idle.

ktanaka, what type of intake are you running? If you hit the gas instantly, it will take a little time for the throttle to respond to the sudden increase in flow area. If you are running a stock, or slightly restrictive intake, it will take more time than with a short ram or cold air intake. Your filter could be clogged too.

Back