My Mustang, "Ol' Smokey" decided to take a dump

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slo86GT

Super Moderator
Well, first real problem I've had out of the car in 2 years, and I think either I did it, or someone at the oil change places I frequented before I started changing my own oil...

Smokey's got 2 oil drain plugs because of the front crossmember design. It's got two "sumps", so it requires 2 drain plugs.

I removed the front plug, drained the quart that it usually drains off, and then reinstalled the plug. Went to the rear drain plug, broke it loose, and started twisting it by hand.. It was loose enough to spin with a paper towel, but was kinda warm... So it spun... and spun... and spun? and SPUN?! and SPUN some more. :(

Looks like the threads at the most tightened part of the bolt were FUBAR. It was so bad that the bolt was not allowing itself to be removed. So I tried to tighten it back up, because oil was seeping past the bolt.

NEGATIVE GHOST RIDER.

FUCK. So now I've got a leaky oil pan. Drips at a rate of about once a minute = LOTS of wasted oil.

I've got a spare motor, and my buddy has a spare oil pan. Bad news. you ALMOST have to remove the motor from the car to replace the oil pan because of the double sump shit. Oh well. Two birds with one stone at this inopportune time. We're pulling the motor, and replacing it with a '88 motor that's rated at +25 horsies over my '86 motor. #2 good fortune, it won't SMOKE anymore, hopefully. 1 qt of 20-w50 a WEEK (250~ miles) was getting tiresome! #3 good thing about this swap, NO MORE OIL LEAK. Well. We hope so, anyway. ;)

I'll keep you guys posted, but HOPEFULLY, I'll have a nice gently used '88 GT motor in my car by this weekend. w00t! :)

Jody.... where the hell are you I never see you online othern the on the messageboard

sounds like you have a fun weekend to come =) keep me and april in mind while youre doing it

Originally posted by jeffie7@Nov 3 2003, 11:10 PM
keep me and april in mind while youre doing it

that's gay

as for jody, Damn y0.... wack ass oil pan :-/

i'll sell you my moroso for a b16! lol

Originally posted by jeffie7@Nov 3 2003, 11:10 PM
Jody.... where the hell are you I never see you online othern the on the messageboard

sounds like you have a fun weekend to come =) keep me and april in mind while youre doing it

Ever since I installed the Router on my cable modem at home, it's dropped packets and AIM get's f'd up because of it and disconnects without letting me know. Every once in a while, I'll plug the cable modem directly to my PC, but it gets tiresome plugging and replugging all the time whenever H wants to get online...

Anyway, I'm around. Working nights is killing my social life... Wait... I actually HAD one of those?!!? :)

I can't wait to get started on this old ass POS. :roll:

Seriously, I'm NOT looking forward to working on the old beast... Maybe for good measure, after I verify that it's running ok, I'll have a 3.73 gear put in the back of her. ;)

I pulled 3 5.0 motors when I was an apprentice, didn't take too long. It shouldn't for you at all, because I was a novice, never worked on a car before.

I ended up doing head gaskets on all 3 motors after they were in, only toook 4 hours after I got the hang of it, w/o air. Not too tough to work with, besides the huge ass plenum you have to remove.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Nov 4 2003, 12:34 AM
I pulled 3 5.0 motors when I was an apprentice, didn't take too long. It shouldn't for you at all, because I was a novice, never worked on a car before.

I ended up doing head gaskets on all 3 motors after they were in, only toook 4 hours after I got the hang of it, w/o air. Not too tough to work with, besides the huge ass plenum you have to remove.

Yeah, it shouldn't be too much of a bitch. It's warm here, we'll be in a garage, no airtools, but we have LOTS of jackstands, and should be able to get the car high enough to make benchpressing the 110# tranny not as difficult as it could be.

The upper intake is the EASIEST thing to remove. I've done 1 or 2 5.0 r/r's when I worked at Horseplay Racing here in memphis half a decade ago, and my buddy's Mustang we're doing this in went 10.5's on a stock shortblock, so you KNOW he's r/r'd a few of em in his day. ;)

We'll be back up and running by thursday night, I hope.

Tentative Schedule
Day 1. Get engine hoist, motor, and car into garage. Remove hood, and put on top of car on top of blanket/towels. Remove exhaust, transmission. Separate fuel lines, and engine harness. Remove engine. THINK about ordering Longtube headers for the "new" engine while it's out. It's MUCH easier to put them on with an engine install. Trust me.

Day 2. Inspect "new" engine. Swap over any needed parts(bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, TPS, headers, mounts, etc). Install engine. THINK about installing tranny, if I really feel like it.

Day 3. Install tranny, driveshaft, and button up everything else. Fill fluids. Double check EVERYTHING. Start car. Drive easy for a week or two to let the bearings and ring reseat. COnstantly remind self that this motor has been sitting for over 3 years. God knows what's not been lubed that should have been. Good news. I've owned it for 2 years, and when I purchased it, it had been sitting in an airplane hangar with a tarp over it since pulled out of a WELL running vehicle that was sent out for a FULL paint job color conversion.

Oh, well. I get to be a busy/dirty mo fo for this week.

i had that same problem with my oil plug. i took it to a mechanic guy who said all he needed to do was use a pair of vice grips. he didnt attach it to the bolt like normal fashion. he attched it like he was gonna pull the bolt off (vice grips pointing towards oil pan). then he pulled hard as he turned it and he was able to unscrew it.

Well, since I have the engine, and it REALLY needs to be done anyway, and I've already got all the plans set up... I'm going to go ahead and bite the bullet here and take the plunge.

I'm tired of driving a f'ing beautiful Mustang that smokes worse than a diesel truck.

BUY MY MOTOR AND TRANNY I'LL GIVE YOU A GOOD DEAL!!!! COME ON! PLEASE!!!! 86' GT Auto tranny and 86' GT 302 Block and heads. with extras.

I already have a motor out of an '88 GT. Piss on '86 Motors, those heads SUCK. ;)

BTW, Update: Engine and tranny are out. "New" engine is in the garage, waiting to have the old clutch, flywheel and accessories swapped over to it. It's a VERY clean engine. Doesn't look like the valve covers EVER leaked, no oil pan leaks, no rear main seal leaks...

I'm getting excited, fellahs. I'm even considering buying some longtube headers, and an offroad X pipe to go on the engine before reinstalling it... Ohhhh lordy! :)

On a side note. 18 year old RWD cars are EASY to work on!!! :) Engine and tranny was out in less than 4 hours being VERY careful.

Well, Didn't get as much done today as I wanted, but things were going slowly because I felt bad. Damn sinus's getting to me after a weather change here.

Anyway.

Got everything swapped over to the new engine. Motor mounts, Alternator, idler pulley, injector harness, oil pressure sender, transmission plate, flywheel, clutch, bellhousing.

Installed some MAC shorty headers I had laying around the guy's garage. We worked on these for probably 2 hours tonight. MAC's flanges and spacing is some POS designs... HORRIBLE spacing issues. Ended up Dremeling the SHIT out of them to force them to fit. Ended up getting all but ONE of the ARP header bolts to get in there. Oh well, I might have a TINY exhaust leak. I can live with that.

I cleaned up and painted the valve covers in aluminum ceramic hi-temp paint. They look pretty damn good. I'll get pics.

Bought a new hi-po 2 core radiator for better cooling. My stock 1 core jobbie was rusted out and leaking, so I really needed it. Mad props to 1-800-Radiator for a $149 radiator, in stock, lifetime warranty, as soon as I called. :thumbsup:

Spent $15 on some 3/8th's headed header bolts. They are stock size, but the small head allows for big runner headers to be used, and you can still get a closed head wrench on the end of the bolt to make tightening the bolts easier, and much more knuckle skin friendly. WELL worth the $15. :)

Well, I think that's about all we got accomplished... Mostly today was cleanup for 10 years of valve cover leaks, lower intake manifold leaks, and whatnot. I still need to clean up the transmission, and sand and repaint the upper intake manifoild. That won't take long, and can be drying as we reinstall the engine and tranny.

Should be in the car tomorrow night. I can't f'ing wait! 40 more horsies should be fun! B)

Woohoo! Pics are up...

No making fun of me!!! ;)

It's almost out! ;)
86engineswap1.jpg

Me doing a little cleanup... Hard to believe this thing is 18 years old!!!
86engineswap2.jpg

The "new" donor:
86engineswap3.jpg

Back