my n/a build...need some help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rsaeini

i did a little bit of research and couldn't really find anything on this particular topic so here we go.

i have a B16A2 and it's getting outfitted with the following:
-CTR pistons (standard bore)
-Skunk2 Stage 2 cams
-portflow dual valve springs and retainers
-2 layer head gasket

there are a lot of other things going in but my major issue is the clearance.

my question is about the piston-valve clearance.

will it be ok?
OR
am i pushing the envelope?

UPDATE: i can't decide which route to take.

i was planning on doing the above but one of my friends gave me a really smart idea. he said instead of building that B16 bottom end i should replace it with a B18C1 and basically make a homemade ITR but with one small difference...Skunk2 cams.
i've been going back and forth on this for about about 2 weeks now. i don't know which one to do.
the B18 will give me more power and more important...more torque. <---a must in road racing but it will cost me about an extra $1000
but the B16 will be a lot cheaper of a build since i have everything except for the CTR pistons. it will only cost me about $200.

WHAT SHOULD I DO???

Clay it just to be sure. Get ITR lost motion assemblies.

A GSR bottom would work well with that setup. You'll probably want to go to aftermarket pistons though, since the B16 head on the GSR block will give you lower compression than a stock GSR.

spend the extra grand NOW rather than later... I can't stress this enough... you will NOT be satisfied with a mildly built B16. I know because I had the same dilemma you did, then i ended up getting an ls block, boring it out and putting pr3 pistons in it anyways. make the smart choice now, it will cost you less in the long run

according to the C-SpeedRacing's compression calculator...the B18C block with PR3 pistons and a B16 head will actually bump up the compression to 11.11:1
i wonder how true that is?

i was planning on swapping out the stock GSR slugs for some P30 pistons.
can i use the stock GSR rods or is it a better idea to swap them our for some ITRs or even a set of aftermarket ones?

Originally posted by 99SiRidinLow@Jan 18 2005, 09:28 PM
have you considered the tech43 stroker kit for the b16?
[post=447836]Quoted post[/post]​

that's an interesting kit.
i don't know if it's worth it. the kit is about $600 and the cost of the sleeving is about $900+ here is SoCal.
i don't think it's worth all the trouble...especially for road racing...they said don't rev the thing past 8500 and considering i want to run S2S2 cams...the damn thing won't make any power unless i upgrade the rods to be able to advantage of the cams range.

i actually found a GSR shortblock locally for about $500. i should jump on it.

thats a great deal if its a complete short block but if its not go down in price and use things off the b16....

Originally posted by rsaeini@Jan 17 2005, 06:48 PM
according to the C-SpeedRacing's compression calculator...the B18C block with PR3 pistons and a B16 head will actually bump up the compression to 11.11:1
i wonder how true that is?

i was planning on swapping out the stock GSR slugs for some P30 pistons.
can i use the stock GSR rods or is it a better idea to swap them our for some ITRs or even a set of aftermarket ones?
[post=447059]Quoted post[/post]​

Did you make sure you clicked the correct Piston-Deck Height?

using the correct piston-to-deck height you get:

B16B pistons - 12.08:1
P30 pistons - 11.6:1
PR3 pistons - 11.41:1

Im not sure where or how you got the figures... but yours are off. Maybe instead of 11.11:1 you meant 11.41:1, ????

to answer the question, im pretty sure you cant use aftermarket rods with stock pistons... something to do with the wrist pin.

I would suggest using ITR rods, they are in fact lighter than the GSR parts. ( http://www.superhonda.com/tech/DC2Type-R_comparison.html )

I dunno... I would say build for the compression in which the cams make the most power. In my case the 62403's (404's for this matter... Crower LS Cams) make best power @ or around 11.7:1 compression... so once I build, I will be using 85mm CP 11.5:1 w/ a 2 layer head gasket which should net 11.7:1.

NA = Lots of Compression!!! Big Compression Good, Low Compression Bad!!!

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 22 2005, 01:56 PM
The stock ITR pistons are forged?! They always looked cast to me.
[post=449650]Quoted post[/post]​

In order to increase compression ratio, the side molds of the pistons were increased. (Pent-Roof-type Piston) The inside was shaved to balance out the total weight, and the aluminum pistons were forged in order to retain precision.

I guess so. We learn something new everyday, eh?

Originally posted by brian11to1+Jan 23 2005, 01:05 AM-->
@Jan 22 2005, 01:56 PM
The stock ITR pistons are forged?! They always looked cast to me.
[post=449650]Quoted post[/post]​

In order to increase compression ratio, the side molds of the pistons were increased. (Pent-Roof-type Piston) The inside was shaved to balance out the total weight, and the aluminum pistons were forged in order to retain precision.

I guess so. We learn something new everyday, eh?
[post=449905]Quoted post[/post]​

No, I think they have their info wrong.

Yeah, their information is bunk, Honda has never used forged pistons i ntheir four cylinder engines, and I think even the NSX's slugs are cast.

Back