My new car (Thread now, pics later)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Uhh.. ok.

What's outdated about it ? So far it uses AM Crystals to create a fuel curve, and requires an oscilloscope to tune it's "program", instead of plugging a management console into it or burning a new PROM. It wrapped up in a 3500 lbs steel car gets 25 mpg. What's so outdated about this motor ?

its carbed isnt it? (for some reason i cant look at page 1 without crashing my browser at work)

its fuel injected IIRC

yup. 100% positive its fuel injected.

got nothin then...still a shitty motor
ph34r.gif

Specs:

DOHC 2.0l (122CUID) i-4, hemispherical piston, non-interference head
Timing belt
Electric advance
dedicated water pump belt, internal
dual harmonic balancers
4 bolt mains
toleranced bearings on main
double-layer hydraulic valve train, true overhead (rockerless) valve stem
34mm individual intake ports, pocked
16mm intake valve, 18mm exhaust - 16 valves
factory 10 gauge steel headers, equal length
multi-point fuel injection, low RPM Dwell
dual 45mm throttle bodies
8 inch single piece intake runners
round port / factory port
smooth valve seats, counter-material to valves (Think billet, where the left over parts go back into their seats)
14 lbs 22 inch flywheel
high compression starter (Monstrous)
9.5 inch clutch
reverse H 5 speed
4.10:1 Posi-traction rear, solid

So what am I missing here ?

Uhh.. ok.

What's outdated about it ? So far it uses AM Crystals to create a fuel curve, and requires an oscilloscope to tune it's "program", instead of plugging a management console into it or burning a new PROM. It wrapped up in a 3500 lbs steel car gets 25 mpg. What's so outdated about this motor ?

The fact that you have to use those tools to tune the car, instead of modern technology.

The fact thats its a 3500lb steel car.

The fact that the suspension is outdated and a dreaded american suspension. You guys make fun of the corvettes outdated suspension and then go and buy this car.

Look at the whopping power numbers that car is throwing down.

Seriously, you get so wrapped up and excentric about unique cars that you fail to realize every downfall with the car. Unless you're restoring the car, you could have bought a $1000 civic and would have done half the work you'll have to do to this car to get the performance where you want it. So gee, you would have saved thousands of dollars to have a cookie cutter car that could perform the same as your one-off outdated pos.

Sad face.

Also don't get pissed off when people see the error in your "ingenuity" and how its a costly project in comparison to a modern car. Sure if you have the money to throw at it and it gets you off at night, then go for it, but don't get all Miss Pissy pants when someone thinks that your viewpoint is foolish, because frankly in terms of money it is foolish.

Last edited:
lol...ITS GOT LEAF SPRINGS! (does it...?)

God i miss clarkson...i just started downloading season 8. You havent lived til you see a Toyota Hilux Boat........sorta.

"In terms of money it is foolish". Ok. Sure. Pot, meet the kettle.

The suspension is 4 corner coil-over strut, 4 link with double a-arm up front.

It weighs the same as a late model Civic coupe.

I've built more cars than you have ridden in, pistol-prick. I can take plenty of criticism about my penchant for Whimsy but I will defend against people's misconceptions of the Cosworth, and get offended by personal attacks....
.... Same as anyone would.

Stating "It's a piece of shit motor" without even knowing the basics of that motor is not only ignorant (For which I don't care) but it's a pretty fuckin miserable thing to say to someone (For which I do care).

"In terms of money it is foolish". Ok. Sure. Pot, meet the kettle.

The suspension is 4 corner coil-over strut, 4 link with double a-arm up front.

It weighs the same as a late model Civic coupe.

I've built more cars than you have ridden in, pistol-prick. I can take plenty of criticism about my penchant for Whimsy but I will defend against people's misconceptions of the Cosworth, and get offended by personal attacks....
.... Same as anyone would.

Stating "It's a piece of shit motor" without even knowing the basics of that motor is not only ignorant (For which I don't care) but it's a pretty fuckin miserable thing to say to someone (For which I do care).

Fiesty.

As far as I know 3500lbs is heavier than any civic I know of, it makes the fat pig of a WRX that you bitch about, seem light. :D

Also it doesn't have all the creature comforts yet still weighs that damn much, think of what these other cars would weigh if they didn't have those comforts. Look at Chris's mirage.

You act like that outdated coilover system is anything more special than megan racing coilovers or helix coilovers which could be had for basically the price of a spring + strut combo (~$800ish). The 4 link is nothing special on that poor unibody.

And where am I foolishly spending money, so I can see where the pot meets the kettle and we're looking eye to eye. I believe I purchased a car still in warranty, thats modern, virtually brand new with low miles. Its no contest in terms of stock performance. All my mods (which virtually no one on here knows about save for one thread where I mentioned some things I've done) have been done affordablely using used parts or close out prices on new parts. I search for deals and get the best possible deals or I don't buy, because I understand how poor of investment a car is stock let alone modified.

ok, lemme see if I can keep up.

...... virtually brand new with 25,000 miles. Its no contest in terms of stock performance. All my mods (Which is what I'm saying all along) have been done by fucking COSWORTH. I search for deals and get the best possible deals or I don't buy, and I found # 2490 of 2500 limited edition cars, running and documented.

The Mention of suspension was only to counteract the idea that it has leaf springs.

Why does this car make you so angry ? Oh. .. I know why.

The internet figures place HP on this car at 110 hp. The factory says, yadda yadda. But you don't understand the gas crisis - Cars then were WAY under rated to make specific insurance regulations, emissions regulations and factory-side fees and penalties. That's how a 1989 MR2 SC rated at 145 can make ~190hp. Because at 146 hp it's classified differently. This is why a 1976 Corvette and a 1976 Celica are both rated at 110 hp. Everything was rated at the same hp. They have been doing this as late as 1989 where my TGP was rated at 225 hp, my Supra was rated at 205 and the Corvette was rated at 245. All very square, even numbers.

Now while I haven't hit the dyno, I can tell you that this car out-accelerates the WRX, without even trying. With the Formula 2000 cams and flywheel, the EEA Cosworth engine is rated at ~280 hp. Which tells me that reindexing the cams and putting GM distributor and rotating wheels on the engine somehow robs the car of ... Get your calculator... 170 hp ? Wow.

How about you learn alittle something about a car other than a Honda, Nissan or whatever you're used to driving ? And while you're at it, lease a more updated personality.

Last edited:
Also, excuse me: It weighs as much as an accord at 3358 pounds, not a Civic, at it's heftiest of 2760 lbs.

There's a huge difference between 3500lbs and 2760lbs. A 740lb difference infact. Nearly 3/4th of 1000lbs. If we take the basic generally accepted formula of 100lbs = one tenth of a second, then your calculation was seven tenths of a second off. Now lets not even think what that extra 750lbs of handling does. Yet, the car still doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a modern car. Its obvious that we've step forwarded and not backwards.

Also, I know that because of insurance and EPA reasons cars were rated differently, cars were all rated differently until everyone just recently accepted the SAE ratings. But I hate to break it to you, no dyno you put that car on is going to read 280bhp - its just not happening out of that four banger - not the way it is.

I wasn't proposing that the Vega wasn't stock because Cosworth "did the mods". I have no idea where you pulled that interesting idea from. I wouldn't say SPT "did the mods" of a s204 - its factory and thats not even an issue here. I call a spade a spade.

I also find it hard to believe that with the extra weight of the car and the engine as it sits, that it out accelerates a WRX or Civic Si or a newer "sports car" and if it does out accelerate the car, its only within a very specific range - certainly the newer cars are going to eventually walk on the Vega even if they don't in the first 60ft. I'm not familiar with the gearing in the car to know where it accelerates at its finest.

3358lbs with a 2.0 liter from 76.

Damn son.... I gotta question this one. You are saying you can make 280hp out of a 2.0 on the ground N/A?

That be a feat in and of itself.

3358lbs with a 2.0 liter from 76.

Damn son.... I gotta question this one. You are saying you can make 280hp out of a 2.0 on the ground N/A?

That be a feat in and of itself.

I atleast hope he's talking about to the flywheel, but even so - the car isn't making those numbers. It wouldn't have made them off the factory line and it certainly won't make those numbers 30years later.

Steve gets defensive and delusional sometimes when he gets wrapped up in projects, as we've all witnessed.

....the EEA Cosworth engine is rated at ~280 hp.

That's the EEA Formula F2 engine. Mine is a detuned version of that. Did I say my engine made 280 ? Can you believe that a Cosworth Racing motor could make 280 ?

The sharks are circling, and I ain't gonna let this happen. It's not a matter of being delusional or not - And as I stated before (But believe you may be too dense to comprehend) is that I'm not arguing to protect my vega against lame comments, I'm doing it because most of you are being so goddam nasty about it.

Chill. Cut the crap with the hate, because if you don't understand something you shouldn't be all uppity and righteous about it. Feel free to ask about it, research it - Hell, show up and I'll let you drive it.

Yeah, it's a 1976 motor but I've countered the following shit:

It's got low miles on it
it's toleranced like a modern engine
it's made by a company that makes racing engines. Yes, Honda makes racing engines too.. But never have they put that exact technology (With the exception of a re-engineered VTEC in the mid 80s) in any of their cars.

If I got a 1985 MR2 you people would bash it. If I told you it had a real formula atlantic 4AGZE silvertop 20V you wouldn't bash it. Well, same thing. You don't have to like the car (No one does), but give a little respect to the engine in there.

And more importantly, give a little respect to another hondaswapper.

Actually, I wouldn't bash an old MR2... Because...well... ITS NOT A VEGA!!!! :lol:

And are you trying to say that swapping ignitions & indexing cams will give you 170hp?!?! RIIGGHHHTTTT.... Knock the zero off the end there buddy.

You're both dense.. That's NOT What I'm saying ! I'm saying that the power from the motor is more than 110. I say that because indexing cams and swapping ignitions WILL NOT ... no wait...WILL NOT get 170 hp. While the 110 hp rating is federal road-use, the 280ish hp from the racing motor has got to be more accurate. So calculate from there - take the EEA Formula F2 motor, index the cams, swap in HEI, put a heavier flywheel on it and some rudimentary emissions controls, and you've got my motor.

Steve.

The motor won't make more than ~200hp to the flywheel.

Its 30years old and I think you'd be hard pressed to find any dyno that would read the car that high.

Yes car were underated for power, but not underated by 110hp on a motor rated 110hp.

You're pipe dreaming, even if we take the race motors numbers - you're just not going to make those numbers and I'd be willing to bet money on that fact.

So you have a 180hp car, weighing 1.5 tons... so fast. :roll:

Now the 4:10's will make you go fastER, but will KILL any type of high end. 4:10s are too much gear for ANY 4 cylinder.

Back