my new Daily Driver?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

this one is apparently modded.. so i'm sure it has more pickup than a stock one

it also has 166,000 miles on it... which means the engine is also getting tired... so even if the intake, TB, exhaust and chip do get some more power out of it its still going to be at best equal to the integra as far as performance

have you actually driven a 318ti??? they are extremely not fast
they handle well, but they have virtually no balls (you pretty much might as well be in a civic)
knowing you i seriously think you will be miserable with that car
it weighs 2778lb
it only has 138hp 133tq
it does 0-60 in 8.9sec
pulls .83g in the corners
and does a 1/4 in about 15.7

I'm well aware of it's slowness.

A miata is pretty much on par with those numbers as well, but it's still a 'fun car' to drive.

see:
It looks good, it's kinda slow, but it's fun to drive. It will save me from getting more 'seatbelt' tickets too :)

:D

i really would pass on this car for you... you will hate it in less than a month

I hated the 2.5 because it

• drove like a pickup truck (high seating, clunky ass tranny, etc), lots of body sway, pathetic brakes
  • shitty radio (yeah, i could've replaced it...)
  • rattled like hell
  • drank gas faster than me and a bottle of jim beam :ph34r:
  • seats sucked for lateral support
  • trunk had a small leak
I had no problems with it's speed/pick up. it was more than enough to get me around.

this one is apparently modded.. so i'm sure it has more pickup than a stock one

It's probably got 5+ horse over stock, and like E says, with it's mileage, its probably equiv to stock at 25k miles.

all im saying is go take it on an honest test drive before plunking down money for it... i really do not think it will be what you are looking for

i've driven a 318i before (regular sedan). I'm well aware of it's dog-ass-ed-ness.

If not this, what's a better choice?

What will:
keep my happy enough to park the M
still cost relatively cheap
good on gas

I can't think of another car to fit the bill. Can you?

what's your price range? I'm partial to the 4th gen maxima. You should be able to find a decent 98 or 99 with a 5 speed. Its a quick car that handles well and gets high 20's on the highway.

sorry, a 'family sedan' will not make me want to park the M.

I'd like to keep it in the mid $X,XXX 's

Last edited:
you're comparing things to an 04 M3
chasing the dragon comes to mind

I totally understand where you're coming from.

I was trying to find a civic HX. but, the only ones that aren't mutalated by ricers around here, people still want 8 grand for. Why pay 8k for a civic when i can pay a little less for something a little more 'fun' and a FAR more 'attractive' car?

would an integra LS make you want to park the M??? cuz thats essentially what your looking at

personally if i was looking for a commuter car id go after something like a 6th gen civic hatch... they handle ok... they are decent for driving... when they arent all riced out they look good... they get stupid mpg... they are a hell of a lot more reliable than a 318... they are cheaper to maintain... its just a much more practical car...
driving a bottom of the line BMW that gets marginally better mpg and handles and performs like a civic EX is not going to make you happy to not be driving the M.... driving a civic to and from work not giving a shit about the mileage you are putting on it, while getting 40mpg, might... unless you just want a BMW as your winter beater / daily driver for the sake of having it... if thats the case then it doesnt really matter what kind of logic is applied to this

would an integra LS make you want to park the M??? cuz thats essentially what your looking at

personally if i was looking for a commuter car id go after something like a 6th gen civic hatch... they handle ok... they are decent for driving... when they arent all riced out they look good... they get stupid mpg... they are a hell of a lot more reliable than a 318... they are cheaper to maintain... its just a much more practical car...
driving a bottom of the line BMW that gets marginally better mpg and handles and performs like a civic EX is not going to make you happy to not be driving the M.... driving a civic to and from work not giving a shit about the mileage you are putting on it, while getting 40mpg, might... unless you just want a BMW as your winter beater / daily driver for the sake of having it... if thats the case then it doesnt really matter what kind of logic is applied to this

I agree.

But, find an Ek hatch that isn't riced out, or rusted/beat/falling apart
It's impossible.
And if it is possible, it's still going for 8 grand.

for the same price (actually, less), I can get a car with leather interior, bbs rims that are worth at least 1500, a nice aftermarket suspension (bill has pretty much the same set up on his 328 that this 318 has), plus a set of almost new snow tires (at least a $400 value, + wheels) 35 hp ish over the cx/dx ek hatch, rwd, and frankly, IMO, a better looking car.

To me, it doesn't make sense to go for an ek hatch.

I'm not trying to be stubborn here... i'm not 'set' on doing anything yet. open for ideas.

Late 90's, early 00's TL. Or a Lexus ISXXX... Prolly around the same price as what you are looking at for that BMW, and, IMO, still a "status" symbol, reliable, and fun.

finding either of those is a manual transmission is near impossible feat.

and i won't drive an automatic if i don't have too...

mirage DE coupe + evo motor and FWD trans = less than 10K

there ya go. 276hp, 2300lb chassis, reliability and parts everywhere.

Back