My new job...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
So i am sitting at work today thinking how much i hate my job :D . I am a 20 year old carpenter by day and a full time college student majoring in accounting at a major university in maryland at night. And i really do hate my job. I feel like i am wasting my life doing such pountless work. Well anyway i am in search of ideas on what field i should look into for a job that pays decent and i can still go to college and work with no problem and also pay all my bills ( i have alot of them...). So basically a job that is available either 7-3 or a like... 2-10ish. I still wanna work fulltime but just hours i can schedule my classes around. And i was wondering if you had any suggestions? Or maybe tell where you work or where you did work when you were my age... Anything will help but refrain from stupid minimum wage jobs and smartass answers i am just trying to get a job to get by and find one i actually can deal with. My career into accounting will come soon enough but i just need some suggestions. TiA
-Joe

Since I am in the field of Auditing and Assurance, I would recommend working 10-20hrs a week at some local CPA firm, even a larger firm over the course of the semester. During the summer I would do internships with the Big Boys. Depending if Maryland is a 150+ hr CPA requirement state I would also recommend getting the hrs done with. That is if you want to get into public accounting. By having the basic real world experience come time for on campus recruiting you'll be sought after much like I was down here in Florida.

Also if you play your cards right and research what it actually takes to transition from college to career you'll be way ahead of the pack.

Let me put it this way, in the month of September thru October I had over 12 different interviews with different firms. Everything from Big Four to National to Regional and finally local firms. I was lucky enough to get numberous offers, all very goods ones also.

Do your homework, play your cards right, and you'll be happy when your done with schooling.

So, long story short - I personally would advise you to seek a part time gig at a local cpa firm. That looks much better on a resume than delivery drive at pizza hut and is more relevant than being Joseph. :)

good luck,

yeah i make around 28k a year and over 32k with overtime... the money is not an issue it is the fact that there is no room for advancement and it is boring. i do work for a christian company so they are nice to me... paid benifits, 12 holidays, 2 weeks vacation a year, comp time and 1 week pay time a year but it is not what i want to do for the rest of my time before i start to look for my job in the accounting feild. And to jdmilan thanks for the info.. acct. major? But yeah i have a partime job in the summer for a some what large cpa firm doing work to get my hours in, i also intern at comcast cable and i worked full time as a carpenter. But comcast and the cpa firm are my summer jobs or when school is not in. But i have alot of bills for 20 yrs old. Maybe not as much as some but upwards of 900 smackaroos a month. So part time is not the answer. Plus i have no support from the parents financially. They are in the process of buying a new house and this house in no bitch let me tell yah :D . And rent alone is 300 for me a month living with 3 roommates. But thanks for the info. I am looking into maybe applying at local banks in the area of my place and see if i can squeeze 9.50 or so out of them. But who knows... keep the suggestions coming :D

Yeah,

<-- Accounting BBA
<-- Management BBA
<-- Marketing BBA

<-- Working on MAC, and then MBA

:)

Ok, so you have to work full time, First and foremost I would decide which area of Accounting you want to go towards "public or private". If you decided to go the public route then I would suggest working full time at a local firm and at graduation or before from UM you'll be much more marketable for Public Accounting Firm Recruiters. Private is a little different, but for that area I would suggest getting involved in the industry in which you plan to work therefore giving you an edge over entry level staff accountants and internal auditors.

If you do want to go into public accounting I advise you get atleast keep a 3.3 overall, get atleast 2-5 affiliations from university organizations such as (Greeks, ASA, Beta, etc..) and within those organizations get a leadership role like "president/VP/chairman, etc..)

If you can provide a good gpa, actual relevant work experience, leadership skills, you'll be surprised at the amount of offers you get from recruiters, HONESTLY.

Personally, I was OVERWHELMED by the amount of offers I received.

So, good luck

I am not working full time anymore. I used to work full time as an EMT, though the hours were killing my school/study time, and I never seemed to have consistant hours. I then worked in Marketing/Graphic Design for a couple companies, but it was all part time. Now I am working at an afterschool program, working with elementary school kids, and it is probably the best job I have had in a while. The pay sucks, but the job is fun, and rarely do I get stressed by the job. It would be nice to make some more cash, but it is paying rent at the moment, and covering my health insurance.
I will be looking for a new job also come January, as I will need money.

personally, i think yo're doing it backwards.

go to school in the day, and work nights somewhere.
you get better teachers in the day time
you get better hours working 2nd or 3rd shift somewhere.

Short term - yes, I tell a lot of people that serving is a decent cash daily job for students.

But - the advice that I gave him will help him out when he is actually about to be done with school. All it gives him is a head start on his fellow classmates.

shit join up man they will pay for schooling and you get a huge pension when you get hurt during training and reciev a pension at the age of 20

bro you should be hittin up those women who are flat as a board and easy to screw!

Back