My new Phone

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I just got the blackjack. It owns. Worth the 50 bucks.

just wondering how the phone is working out
how is it with syncing exchange?
how comfortable is it in a pocket?
is the internet worth half a shit on it?
is it a pain in the ass to navigate the internet?
does it feel well built and solid or flimsy?
how is the keyboard?
how is the phone service coverage?
how is the GPS?
does the GPS work fast enough and accurate enough for driving directions?
how is the battery life?

any other problems, comments, or observations?

just wondering how the phone is working out
how is it with syncing exchange?
how comfortable is it in a pocket?
is the internet worth half a shit on it?
is it a pain in the ass to navigate the internet?
does it feel well built and solid or flimsy?
how is the keyboard?
how is the phone service coverage?
how is the GPS?
does the GPS work fast enough and accurate enough for driving directions?
how is the battery life?

any other problems, comments, or observations?

Syncing exchange email isn't supported yet. They declare it will be in a future update.
It's ok in the pocket. The slider activates pretty easily, there is only one carrying case available for it, and that's on the site.
The internet IS good. Browsing is done link-by-link, and the pages are viewed and zoomed with a single key. browsing functions take up NO screen real estate (like they do on palms)
It's well built. IT's solid. There is light metal content, its all a rubberized plastic. The screen can take damage easily (use a screen protector)
Keyboard is 10 out of 10. The "upper row is cramped" means that you can slide your typing thumb along the top row very quickly. I can type full posts on Hondaswap with it. (the "B" key is close to the N and Spacebar.. presents me with frequent typos) Also the "'" key is shared with the letter "M", where as the Comma has it's own key. So I have to hit "ALT" to get the Apostrophe, but not the comma. I use punctuation often.

Coverage is as good as PCS gets. The call quality sucks, and when you lose connection - you seriously lose it (That hasn't happened yet). But it is the same as any PCS phone. When it works, it works REALLY well.
the GPS is ultra-sensitive and mostly works indoors. It's fast. It uses Google maps so the interface is a known quantity. it does NOT follow you along your route, ala navigation. You have to type "0" to refresh your location. But likewise, it doesn't snap you to neighboring streets and screw up your route either. It does NOT re-draw a route if you deviate from the original directions.
With lots of typing and use, I get a day from the battery. I'm a heavy user of it's features, what with doing all of my IM and email from this unit (This phone replaces my Mac laptop)

The ultimate in shit: The MP3 player plays through the speakers at a decent volume. But the speakerphone is quiet. There is no need for different volumes. Maybe they can correct it in the firmware update that everyone is eagerly awaiting.

All in all, this makes my treo look like shit. And I don't even touch the treo except to check for missed calls.

Oh, and I have LDAP authentication at work with SSL. It will see the server, but I get "username or password is incorrect" when I attempt to login to it (Yes, it's correct). Helio only refers to "Use secure connection" in their pop / imap setup. This could or could not be SSL. Not sure.

Any Java based VPN client should do the trick, but I'm not at that part of my review yet.

I'll be posting a full review for Yale, and if you want I'll email it to you (FYEO).

Syncing exchange email isn't supported yet. They declare it will be in a future update.
It's ok in the pocket. The slider activates pretty easily, there is only one carrying case available for it, and that's on the site.
The internet IS good. Browsing is done link-by-link, and the pages are viewed and zoomed with a single key. browsing functions take up NO screen real estate (like they do on palms)
It's well built. IT's solid. There is light metal content, its all a rubberized plastic. The screen can take damage easily (use a screen protector)
Keyboard is 10 out of 10. The "upper row is cramped" means that you can slide your typing thumb along the top row very quickly. I can type full posts on Hondaswap with it. (the "B" key is close to the N and Spacebar.. presents me with frequent typos) Also the "'" key is shared with the letter "M", where as the Comma has it's own key. So I have to hit "ALT" to get the Apostrophe, but not the comma. I use punctuation often.

Coverage is as good as PCS gets. The call quality sucks, and when you lose connection - you seriously lose it (That hasn't happened yet). But it is the same as any PCS phone. When it works, it works REALLY well.
the GPS is ultra-sensitive and mostly works indoors. It's fast. It uses Google maps so the interface is a known quantity. it does NOT follow you along your route, ala navigation. You have to type "0" to refresh your location. But likewise, it doesn't snap you to neighboring streets and screw up your route either. It does NOT re-draw a route if you deviate from the original directions.
With lots of typing and use, I get a day from the battery. I'm a heavy user of it's features, what with doing all of my IM and email from this unit (This phone replaces my Mac laptop)

The ultimate in shit: The MP3 player plays through the speakers at a decent volume. But the speakerphone is quiet. There is no need for different volumes. Maybe they can correct it in the firmware update that everyone is eagerly awaiting.

All in all, this makes my treo look like shit. And I don't even touch the treo except to check for missed calls.

Oh, and I have LDAP authentication at work with SSL. It will see the server, but I get "username or password is incorrect" when I attempt to login to it (Yes, it's correct). Helio only refers to "Use secure connection" in their pop / imap setup. This could or could not be SSL. Not sure.

Any Java based VPN client should do the trick, but I'm not at that part of my review yet.

I'll be posting a full review for Yale, and if you want I'll email it to you (FYEO).
awesome thanks for the review
and yes id love a copy of the full review

i guess for now ill hold out for exchange support
i still have a few months left on my current contract with nextel so its no big deal

very interested in this phone though

tin_can_phone.jpg

works good except for the hollow sound and limited range but can't go wrong with the price

awesome thanks for the review
and yes id love a copy of the full review

i guess for now ill hold out for exchange support
i still have a few months left on my current contract with nextel so its no big deal

very interested in this phone though

We should get together when Clayton comes home.

The phone is pre-set for Earthlink email accounts, Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, MSN and AOL accounts, in both IM and email. Popping my gmail account sucks though - but it sucks on the Google end. They have a neat little POP feature that says "don't get more than so many mails", which is good because I have 200 pages of sheer crap. That said, it doesn't work. And it downloads the past 200 emails without my asking. All of the built-in accounts were easy to do. I've gotten it to work with Lotus mail for POP (haven't tested in IMAP) and everything about the LDAP email that I use at Yale SEEMS to be set right, but it gives me a password error. Very strange indeed. And prolly not the fault of the phone.

Oh, here is an issue. Webpages that are optimized for handhelds read the browser as "non supported" and always tells me that I can't do something on the page. So if it's like CNN, where it's setup for Palm / Blackberry, it doesn't read my browser as either (and of course, not as Opera, Firefox, IE etc either) so it gives me an error, even though I'm capable of seeing the full page.

Hondaswap is a bitch to browse. Each page is loaded with thousands of links, that I have to toggle through to get to scroll. But they also say the future webbrowser will allow page scrolling (And it does if I go into a "picture" mode, where it disables the links temporarily for scrolling. Its not simple to get to that mode though.

And the camera sucks for ANY kind of action. It's got a good 2 second shutter delay. But the quality of pictures is astounding. (All of the pics I've been posting up here have been taken with the cam)

around $500usd

and around $1000aud :eek:

im not paying 1k for a iphone! there is no chance in hell :mellow:
AND you gotta sign a 2 year contract with fees. Oh and the slow edge network... f the iphone. You pay 600 for 8gb..so you can hold like 2500 songs and MAYBE a movie or two as well. Ive read it has trouble (or cant) sync with internal company email networks. Might as well get a blackberry and s 30gb ipod for the same, if not less, money.

Back