My new Vehicle!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Well i happened to get a truck today. It ended up just kinda happening. A guy that works with me had been talking about a '71 Chevy pickup that he had and was wanting to fix up, but he wasn't sure about having the time. Well i told him to let me know if he wanted to get rid of it. Well yesterday he asked me if i still wanted it, so i said how much. he wanted $600. since i had $400 i gave him that much today and i will pay the rest later. I am going to DMV tommorrow to change the title and get plates for it.

So this is what it is: 1971 Chevy longbed pickup 2WD. I thought the bed was gonna be huge, but it really isn't much bigger than a shortbed. It has a 350ci motor out of a older Corvette. they just replaced the heads, so unfortunatley this caused the bottom end to fuck up. So that will be my first project, get a short block or rebuild that bottom end. The tranny has just been rebuilt, and is either a Turbo 350 or 400, not really sure but it's also from a Corvette. The motor smokes like hell because of the bottom end problems but i don't really care. The front brakes have been converted to Disc brakes. Oh and a cool thing, its got power steering, so i wont have to drive like it's a bus, like a lot of older trucks.

Basically, i just scooped this up cause i needed a truck and i always wanted one of these. it is not restored or anything, and is in the kind of shape you would expect from a 30+ year old truck, but it is by no means in bad shape, just normal wear and tear.

My plans for it is Full length Hooker headers, with dual Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. Not sure what kind of carb and manifold i'm gonna go with, but I will decide later. As far as the body, i will primer it black and start getting it to look good, but i have no plans for paint, because i think flat black looks just fine. A little Bondo, some chrome bumpers, and some new mirrors will make it lookk a lot better.

Oh well, this will be my project for a while, so getting another CRX will be put on hold for right now. I'll post some pics soon to show the before, and then throughout the project. Yes i know its not a honda, but i think everyone needs a break from these damn 4 cylinders every once in a while

Here are some photos of a 71 in case you dont know the body style, This is NOT the one i have, just a pic of a 71

s3fd0428983d7b.jpg

s3fd042ececd2e.jpg

Thanks, guess i kinda got lucky. Gonna pick it up tommorrow, then go out around the border and dump the old ass camper shell that wa on it, then maybe try it out a little in the dirt around there. I am dyin to have a beater truck that i can mess around in.

no man, like i said, that is not the truck i bought. that one is on ebay for like 7 grand or something, jsut used the pics as an example.

Originally posted by senate_9427@Dec 5 2003, 03:34 AM

Here are some photos of a 71 in case you dont know the body style, This is NOT the one i have, just a pic of a 71

s3fd0428983d7b.jpg

s3fd042ececd2e.jpg

:slap:

Yeah, I looked at the pics, then read the post... I was like WHY THE FUCK IS HE GOING TO BLACK PRIMER OVER THAT?!?!?

Then I finished reading before opening my fat ass mouth like B did. :p :nutkick:

LOL. Anyway, good snag. Fix it up, those can be some really nice daily drivers.

On a side note, a 383 stroker crate engine from Chevy Racing isn't THAT expensive(for a brand new HiPo motor). Just a suggestion. ;)

dayum. old skOOl! put that thing on bags and it'll be mad pimp! i know thats not yours in the pic but that thing would be sic riding on bags. :D good luck with it man! :)

Originally posted by senate_9427@Dec 5 2003, 08:34 AM

The tranny has just been rebuilt, and is either a Turbo 350 or 400, not really sure

Look at the tranny fluid pan, if it looks like a square with one corner cut at like a 45 degree angle, tranny=350. If it looks sorta like a kidney bean, tranny=400.

Originally posted by Fastciv+Dec 5 2003, 06:47 AM-->
senate_9427
@Dec 5 2003, 08:34 AM

The tranny has just been rebuilt, and is either a Turbo 350 or 400, not really sure

Look at the tranny fluid pan, if it looks like a square with one corner cut at like a 45 degree angle, tranny=350. If it looks sorta like a kidney bean, tranny=400.

Thanks man, I'll check it out.

BTW i just went to DMV at 7:30 this morning, waited until 8 to get in the door, then sat for 2 hours to get to talk to someone. I ended up getting new plates and registration stickers. I put down that i aid 200 for the truck, so with taxes, plates, and stickers i paid a total of $55. not bad.

Also i went to Kragens and priced some remanufactured short blocks, $725 plus 200 core charge for a 350, 4 bolt main motor. That isn't a bad price so that will probably be where i get the motor from. That way the swap will be so fuckin easy. Just pull the motor, Bolt the tranny ans heads onto the new short block, then throw it back in. Probably no more than a days work.

Originally posted by senate_9427@Dec 5 2003, 06:59 PM
That way the swap will be so fuckin easy. Just pull the motor, Bolt the tranny ans heads onto the new short block, then throw it back in. Probably no more than a days work.

And everyone thinks doing B series swaps are easy...Just remember...the engine does not go in sideways... :lol:

dude leave the body in whatever condition its in and spend it all on the motor.

572 crate motor.
572 C.I.D. - 9:1 Compression Crate Engine Technical Information

Horsepower……………………………………620 @ 5500 RPM
Torque………………………………………………650 Ft. Lbs. @ 4500 RPM
Max. Recommended RPM…………6000 RPM
Compression Ratio…………………9.6:1
Block…………………………………………………New! Sportsman Tall Deck Bowtie Gen VI
10.200" deck height
Bore……………………………………………………4.560"
Stroke………………………………………………4.375"
Crankshaft……………………………………Forged 4340 steel
Connecting Rods………………………Forged 4340 steel, H-beam style, Shot peened
Pistons……………………………………………Forged aluminum, Full floating wrist pin
Piston Rings………………………………Plasma-moly rings
Camshaft…………………………………………Hydraulic roller
Valve lift: .632" I, .632" E
Duration @ .050" 254º I, 264º E
Lifters……………………………………………Hydraulic roller tappet
Cylinder Heads…………………………Aluminum rectangular port
118cc combustion chamber
Intake Valves……………………………2.25" Stainless steel
Exhaust Valves…………………………1.88" Stainless steel
Valve Springs……………………………Dual valve springs
1.540" coil diameter
1.800" installed height
197 Lbs. seat pressure
Spring Retainers……………………Hardened chromemoly steel
Rocker Arms…………………………………Aluminum roller rockers, 1.7:1 ratio
Push Rods………………………………………High performance one piece
Intake Manifold………………………New! Aluminum tall deck single plane
4150 series carburetor
Carburetor……………………………………850cfm, mechanical secondary
Rear Main Seal…………………………New! One-piece design
Windage Tray………………………………New! Screened and louvered
Damper………………………………………………High RPM torsional damper
Distributor…………………………………H.E.I.
Ignition Timing………………………36º total advance
Spark Plugs…………………………………R42XLS
Fuel……………………………………………………92 Octane

BB are cool, but i'm gonna stay with the 350, and bore it .60 over, throw a 400 crank in and have me a 383 stroker. Sounds like most of you guys also got your start on V8's. So maybe one of you could answer me a question: I wil probably stay N/A on the motor, so what is a good compression to have. most of the pistons i see for the 350s are either 9:1 or 10.5:1. Does anyone have any experience on what pistons to get and what compression i should run?

We picked up a new truck. at least to us anyhow.

1992 Dodge Dakota
Manual
white
staright body

we traded a 77 Ford Ranchero with a 429, flawless interior, tore up front end, cuase of me when I was 14 hit tree playin in the feild.

Auto C-6
75K Original miles
no rust.

Straight trade, the trans was out of the Chero, and it wouldnt run all the time anymore. MAgneto ignition system getting old. Just wanted to post this info without starting new thread.

I love that body style! 68-72. I want a short bed flletside to build next. That going to be my tow vehicle. I'll pass that fucker on to my son.

On a domestic, 10.5:1 is pushing the limits of pump gas, especially 91 octane.

9.5:1 to 10:1 is optimum for a V-8 for a reasonable street car.

At 10.5:1 you wopuld probably have to pull some timing to keep away detonation gremlins.

Detonation would problably be solved with MSD, though.

Update: i havent had a chance to get pics, but i started cleaning it tonight. DAMN, there were some spots in there that had dirt packed down, almost an inch thick, no joke at all. I degreased the hell out ot the interior, and pulled the carpet padding out. Tommorrow i will scrape the floor on the interior, and try to get it mostly ready to paint. Not really sure what color to do the interior, so i might paint it flat black like the rest of the car, just for now.

Back