My newest build for SCCA STL/HPDE's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Doesnt grind at all.

I dont shift really hard because its not needed. I also have run quality fluids in it and always changed them out in short intervals. I run synchromesh additives and either Hondas new formula MTF or I might try Redline MTF this time around.

The ITR transmission normally has issues in certain gears but I have maybe grinded that transmission on gear changes 5 times in 5 years.

I got the normal (non formula) HANS Sport. I'm 5'11" 215lbs so not far off from you. It is comfortable enough.

Do you have an LSD in that transmission? Which one?

ok thanks, good to know.

I have the helical oem itr differential. What are you running? Some of my buddies that run ITA, ITB, and F Prod run clutch type lsd's but replace frequently.

The one mod I wanted to make transmission wise was a 4.7 or 4.9FD but they are too expensive.

I'm running the KAAZ clutch type. I love it. Supposed to last longer than others espeically when running the Motul FF fluid (which i'm using now).

Had an ATS, clutch plates finally wore so I replaced it with a KAAZ. If you're interested I am selling it. $400 for the diff, I think it was $300 for the rebuild by Carbonetics (they bought ATS). So $700 for a brand new Carbonetics clutch type diff isn't too bad.

I'm running the 4.7 FD also. I think the 4.9 would be too short, the 4.7 is really cutting it close as it is.

Interesting with the Motul, I ran that once and the transmission just didnt feel good at all, period. I honestly dont think it was Motul but the product being incorrect for my application....I listened to a friend which I wont be doing again when it comes to fluids.

My current lsd is good for now thanks. I will keep it in mind if something happens!

How would you compare the 2 types of lsd's? I havent driven a clutch type so all I can go on are helicals....my wifes car is an 09 si and has a helical as well so thats all my experience with fwd lsd.

Helical:
pro - long life
con - lift a wheel, it turns into an open diff.

Clutch:
pro - lift a wheel you still have traction, unlocks under decelleration allowing better turn-in, then locks under acceleration
con - needs rebuilds

Other than that they're doing the same thing and you can't really tell the difference.

I have had a couple set backs but will have some new pics up soon. I needed a 2 dollar oring for my fuel rail and I had one of those shitty chinese fittings break on my oil cooler. So I ordered the oring which is opposite the crush washer called the gasket muffler and I also ordered 4 new fittings for the oil cooler made by earls.

Some of the last pieces came in today.

hansm.jpg

Hans, 3x36 inches of sfi roll bar padding, ltb quick release, safequip tow straps, sfi omp sport boots, redline mtl, motul 600.

Last edited:
Awesome, glad to see you went with the HANS.

HANS didnt give me much of a choice putting dfender out of business lol. I guess if they were guilty of infringement so be it. Im not dropping that tpe of money only to have the company not be able to service the product if needed. So HANS it is!

I got the piece I have been waiting all week for to start my damn car!

Gasket muffler lol, I ordered a bunch of extra crush washers just in case.

ringmw.jpg

MSD 6A digital ignition that came out recently, much cleaner and has a small profile. MSD blaster sc, MSD wires and cap.

Honda ignition is great but I would rather not have it go out on me at the track which I have seen happen often with some of my fellow scca club guys. Im starting it without this installed just to get it running. I also have the ever so important back-up igniter as well and transfered almost everything over internally from my gsr distributor.

msda.jpg

Test fitting, zeus wasnt really happy with the sizing lol

zhans.jpg

Headed to the garage..............if the world is going to end Im going to start my civic before it does.

more photos to come.

Last edited:
I went to turn the key and dohh...dead battery. The battery hadnt charged long enough so tomorrows going to be the fire up. I think I will take a video of it firing up maybe....if it does fire up lol.

COP would be nice, I have seen it on some B series but the cost and custom work seemed pretty ridiculous. Only If we had K motors!

Im shooting for the June 25-26 event at Sebring with NASA.

The cage work will begin in the next week. I need to post some other pictures and Im waiting on the fittings for the remote filter that go into it. The ones I bought were incorrect and I ordered some new ones I hope fit that come on monday or tuesday. 3/4 16 -8 is what it said so I ordered those and some -10 an fitting just in case.

I really want to go do some break in pulls but the car isnt insured anymore or registered so I think I will wait until its registered and insured again temporarily. It a pain in the butt to get a friend to tow it around for dyno etc. The motor feels good at low rpms around the block though and sounds pretty clean. I think I need to re check the valve adjustment but it could just be big cams making the noise.

What oil do you run on your motor B16? Im looking at some race oils in the 0-30 to 0-50 range from motul, amsoil, and mobil . I can get a good deal on Motul 300v so im considering it.

I use either Redline 40wt or Motul 5w40. I've been interested in the Motul 300v.

I'm waiting to hear back from a distributor I know on prices but it looks like I can get 12 liters of 5w30 300v on amazon for $285 shipped. I think my friend might get it for slightly less so I'm going to wait and see.

Where do you get the motul ff type 2 75w90? I can't find it anywhere?

On another note I'm going to try to pick up 2 sets of grand am cup 225-45-15 Cont. slicks for $400. A guy locally is a part of a race team in the rolex series and always sells take offs which are good for 2-4 events.

Last edited:
The Continental tires are basically hoosier a6s from what I hear so I think if he has them tomorrow Im going to grab 2 sets. Those tires will be super sticky!

That looks good, for some reason the type 2 isnt available anywhere but its made for our cars with lsd's. I wonder if this is the same thing as the ff type 2?

motul ff type 2:

GEAR FF-LSD TYPE 2 75W-90 is a special designed for FF (Front-engine / Front- drive) type transmission with mechanical LSD (Limited Slip Differential) system cars. 100% synthetic with complex ester. Suitable for all transmission (synchronized or non–synchronized), 6-speed transmission, gearbox with differential, transfer gearbox and hypoid differentials with or without LSD.

The one I'm using is specificaly for clutch type LSD's.

Those A6's wont last long on a road course. :)

Back