My OBD0 to OBD1 Conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey I have a question for whoever can answer this!
I have a cold air intake and the filter is behind the passenger side of the front bumper. should I be concerned about it sucking up water?
because to me it looks like it could.

Nope, don't worry about it.
If anything(if you have this particular bumper), I'd cut out the little 'pocket' in the bumper to allow for more airflow.

The only time you really need to be concerned about hydrolock is when your air filter is UNDER water.

that not so much true.. depends on what kind of filter it is. k & n i wouldnt worry but a cheap O i would by a by pass just in case

eBay - civic AEM bypass items on eBay.com

Updated_engine_view.jpg

(sorry for the gay pic. it's the first thing I saw when google/imaging...)

Last edited:
AEM makes one it goes in the middle of the cold air piping. what it does is when you car hits a puddle it will open so you motor dosent "hydro lock" suck up water.
in the pic above it is right below the over priced catch can. with the 2 line going into it

Last edited:
The answer to the bypass question is....
Various manufacturers make them, AEM is the most prominent. The bypass is exactly that, more or less a foam filter that is put inline on the cold air intake, positioned higher into the engine bay. It is designed to allow air flow into the intake if airflow is restricted at main filter. Thus allowing the engine to continue to breath.

You can find these at any real performance import shop or on the internet for roughly 50 buck depending who you are getting it from. Sometimes cheaper, hope this helps.

thanks alot guys. but generally I have never really heard of people having problems, so until I can afford it I guess I am going to have to go without. I dont think I will be taking too much of a risk.....

yea I live in BC its really wet here. all it does it rain unless its summer.
but I have lots of buddies who have cold air intakes and they have never had a problem! so... I think I'm good.... for now

Another note about bypasses, please dont be the first person posting in here that has one installed on a turbo motor and wonders why he is not getting boost....lol:D

Another note about bypasses, please dont be the first person posting in here that has one installed on a turbo motor and wonders why he is not getting boost....lol:D

lol

Back