My parents vs the City Cops

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience when my car was broken into was completely opposite. I was on a college campus though (MSU). I was notified of the burglary as it was taking place by a person who lived down the hall from me who called and said "I saw two guys who looked suspicious around your car"

I ran as fast as I could down to the parking lot to find my V-AFC and pioneer DEH-P9000R headunit missing. I called the police and they took the description of the suspects over the phone and within 10 minutes a patrol officer was there. Within 15 minutes, another call came back saying that they had the suspects in custody. Granted this instance had suspects, but regardless I feel that you should receive better attention.

To be on the objective side, those 5 cars that passed you could have been on a call or some other form of duty that prevented them from turning in there at that time.

I do feel that the response was a bit childish, the man obviously feels that he is superior to everyone... perhaps you should write another letter and refer to him as Jesus everywhere instead of by his name. He just seems like an asshole...

and please no one write
"just my .02" in this thread.

bristol is about 60,000 people... nothing crazy.

I've been pulled over for doing like 50 in a 40 or something and i've had 3 or 4 squad cars behind me for a speeding ticket. But one can't come to take a look at the 40 lb rock in back seat?

It's all about priorities. Back home, only 10 officers were ever on scheduled patrol and taking calls, for a city of 120,000 people. Here in Idaho, there are only 4 officers on patrol and taking calls for a population of 35,000.

Now if a police are to spend all of their time going over video footage from cameras in pawn shops to see who's selling used audio equipment, they would be there forever. That is simply unrealistic.

I'd much rather have a domestic disturbance call be handled and someones safety to taken care of then to complain about a stolen radio that I know will have no chance of being recovered.

If there were enough officers, then I see a valid point of demanding satisfaction when calling in a report. But as everything is at the moment, there's not a whole lot we can expect to be done for 'low priority' crimes.

And that's why you need to take matters into your own hands. For example, security systems and marking all of your 'stealable' equipment in your car. Like small engravings with your initials. That way, when you go to pawn shops, you have proof to demand your item back if you find it. I know that's exactly what happens with construction crews and stolen equipment. It works, and they usually get their tools back when they find which pawn shop they were sold to.

170 calls a day? In 9 hours that's about 1 call every 3.5 minutes. I do nearly twice that by myself at work. :p

I haven't trusted police since I was little, when we were thrown out of a station by a police lieutenant and not allowed to file a report. Granted, we were trying to file against a known mob member, :eek: :D but it taught me at an early age though not to trust or rely on the police.

A lot of you guys are missing the point i think.

The entire point of the post, was to prove that the cop's letter was simply uncalled for and out of line.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 11 2005, 04:10 PM
A lot of you guys are missing the point i think.

The entire point of the post, was to prove that the cop's letter was simply uncalled for and out of line.
[post=459724]Quoted post[/post]​

You asked about the officers response and the issue of 'time'. I think there's been some good points brought up. No use in repeating what everyone else is saying.

find it amusing at best that you mention your car was parked within a quarter mile of the police station. I wondered if you were under the illusion that no crimes should take place within that distance from the police department, and, if so, let me tell you that they do. The police have responded to thousands of calls within a quarter mile of the station, up to and including a shooting on the front steps of the station and an officer shot just around the corner.

what a fucking asshole..

i'm lead to believe the proximity was mentioned to show how it was NOT a huge inconvenience for one officer to make an appearance...

Many of the callers request to see an officer and when they do, one is sent.

so you picked the wrong time to call them??? wtf does this have to do with anything besides showing a lack of concern for your situation...

Just to bring you up to speed, you should know that the chief of police is responsible for the operations of the department and its officers. He does not take complaints, nor was he bound to call you or give you anything in writing as to an action plan.

wait, he's responsible for the operations, but if something goes wrong its not his job??? again, wtf???

:fuckyou: :moon: :slap: :fuckyou2: :fuckyou3: :thumbsdown:
ct_bristol.jpg

Originally posted by Blanco Posted Yesterday@ 10:50 PM
This is what I mean when I say that our public servents need to be put back into their place.

yaz sir mazta sir, we be gittin' bak n ours plaze naw.

What does anyone here do that puts them in a position that those that do choose to do dangerous jobs such as being a cop are beneath them? I think all you need to re-evaluate yourselves.

Stop hating the people that half way want to make a difference, and start hating the fuckers that make their job nescessary in the first place. All I here about is bullshit "well criminals have rights too", and then you go and down the "man", and bitch because the law and enforment is not effective...

YOU MAKE IT INEFFECTIVE!!!!!!

Maybe if 90% of the time when a cop pulled over a 16 year old in his hotrod, he didn't shoot his fucking mouth off, than maybe, just fucking maybe, the cop wouldn't be such a dick to the next guy he pulled over.

Say they had come down and taken a report, would you have been satisfed? Or six months later when no one had been caught would you still be mad that they didn't do their job and arrest someone? Hell I've seen that happen, cops actually come and take a report than nothing comes of it, then people get pissed because they didn't catch anyone, or if they do, then they get pissed because they got off, or didn't get enough time, or got out on parole.

Now, to get something straight, I don't think all cops are good, as a matter of fact, I know a few shitbags myself, and have in my past had as many runins with them as anyone here. My whole problem is, people bitch about the system, instead of trying to make the system better. You have to live under the system, so make it work for you. Better testing to be a cop, actual mental evaluations would be a good start.

Don't let the issue die with a letter, or a non returned phone call, force them to face it, and fix it. People want to inact them rights as a citizen, but only when the situation effects them, it has to be all the time, not half way. Did anyone care about police response times before this happened? Doubt it. Do you know the leash laws in your area? Probably not, but if you were attacked by a dog I bet you would the next day. Point is, it's your community, take an active roll in it, don't just enjoy it carefree then scream bloody murder when a situation arises. Your society is your responsibility.

with a population of only 61 thousand people it is simple laziness that is to be blamed for this... I am guessing that at the time of the break in there were approx 24 officers on duty....... and the reply the guy says something about there being 137 phonecalls a day.... thats about 6 an hour so they couldnt have 1 of the 24ish officers come to the scene... ESPECIALLY ON REQUEST!

Originally posted by Blanco+Feb 11 2005, 10:50 PM-->
Maybe if more cops showed respect, they'd get more in return. Remember, respect is earned and not taken.
Exactly where does that two way street start?

Blanco

And respect is the key ingredient missing from American culture today.

Agreed 110%

Originally posted by Blanco@Feb 12 2005, 12:00 PM
You're damn right you'll get back in your place.  I pay your salary like every other American tax payer...YOU WORK FOR US, deal with it.  Again, you chose your job, it didn't choose you.  And you more than proved my point with that last paragraph.

Guess what ace, we pay our own salaries too, so no, we don't only work for you, we work for the people, to include ourselves, so stop thinking you are more important than anybody else. Now if I didn't have to pay taxes to pay MY OWN salary, than you could use that tired ass line, but till then, shove it up your ass, and stop using that as an excuse to act like a crybaby when you see something you don't like.

Oh yeah, I tried the whole community involvement thing.  I called in a tip and said "I want to remain anonymous", my call was traced and my info given to the people I was calling about.  That was a fun time.  Then when I reported that, I was treated like a piece of shit by the Yuba County Sherriff's Dept..  There's really very little you can do when the cops are criminals too.

Or when you stop acting on what wronged you. So what was the tip, you tried to turn in a cop for something you didn't like?

That two way street starts when you do something to command respect other than put on a uniform.  A shiney little badge doesn't command any respect for me, nor to stripes on someone's sleeve.  The actions of the person that's wearing the uniform is what matters to me.

Oh, so the system you derail, and then whine about not working, is that the one that should show you respect? hahahaha riiiiight. Neither does acting like a self righteous dickhead. I bet you are a real gem of positive involvment in your community.

Anyway, like I said, there's good and there's bad, sorry you had to get the bad in your area(s). It would be a sad day for many people that complain about the law and it's enforcers for there to be none. Anarchy is a bitch, seen it, wouldn't want to live in it. And like I always say, if you don't like it, try your best to change it. Maybe if you became a cop, you could have a hand in making others better. When speaking of local government, it's much easier to get involved (beyond "calling in a tip") than federal. If the cops are really that lazy, or neglegent, don't let them ignore you, don't write to them, write to their bosses, and their bosses bosses, city council, mayors, governors, whatever.

Something to try www.copwatch.com

You work for the American people. No amount of rationalization on your part will change that. Yeah, I complain about the people who represent me, as an American citizen, acting like fucktards, idiots, and hypocrites. You're the one taking the black eye for it, not me. So shove that up your ass.

I have no black eyes, I do an exemplary job whether you like what I do or not. And yes it is annoying when for public "servants" when those they serve act like spoiled retards. And while I do work for the people, I don't take orders from them, but this isn't about me.

A meth lab with children living in it, close enough to my house that I could smell the fumes on a daily basis. So much for trying to clean up my community, eh?

Good for you, maybe you should have blown it up instead.

You really like to put words into my mouth, don't you? If you remember, I've openly said that I don't give a fuck about the people in my community anymore and I try to make my difference one person at a time in hopes that they'll do the same for someone else and that it'll cause an eventual snowball effect.

Communal reaganomics, great plan, and great cop out too.

But that's still not good enough for people like you, is it? Screw your book, screw your job, screw your "President", and screw you.

Nope sure isn't especially when you demand more and more, and spew your bile when it doesn't work in your favor. My book? What book is that? Bible? Sorry, I am agnostic My job? Wow you hardhitter you. My president? His your president too, like it or not hahahahahahahaha. Me? Yes screw me, one of millions that does something instead of whine on the intraweb.

If you really want to make a difference ie put forth real effort, there are MANY things you can do, lobby too those that listen, till the wrong is pointed out, it will continue.

I've always had an issue with this subject and I posted this opinion at the bristol press;

I think that as long as police dont do ANYTHING,such as even look for prints,sole marks or evdience as to a petty crime that there is no deterrent so it happens even more often.When I got this response from Denver police it prompted me to boobytrap my car and valuables inside with fish hooks and razor blades and wouldnt you know 2 weeks later when the side of my car was covered with blood in my parking lot the cops show up at my door asking what happened,I asked if they had a report or compliant,they said no and I said goodbye and closed my door,there was nothing they could do.Later I went to check and wash the car and what do you know all of my valuables were still there and it hasnt happened since leading me to belive that,[a]it was the same people as before checking to see if they could steal the replacements my insurance company bought me, and that these kind of crimes are most often committed by repeat offenders.With no deterrence these "petty crimes" will continue and rise.The really ironic thing is that the police were just dying to write me a ticket for the boobytraps thereby working for the real criminals not protecting or serving the public.I continue to boobytrap my belongings and will continue to do so as long as I see this is the only solution to "petty crime" for "Joe Public".

This might not be the right way to handle this but I do what I think is effective and it worked,I no longer have a big stereo but if I ever put another one in I'll boobytrap it again and see if I get in trouble for it.

The police pick and choose what they want to respond to. One example that comes to mind is when i hit a deer. I called 911 and they said an officer would be there in 30 min. Well i waited 3 hours and nobody showed up so i called back and they got all pissy with me and told me to go home and wait for an officer. I was ok with this untill half way to my house I was pulled over for speeding by a cop that was parked in the bushes. So how could this cop be sitting less than 5 miles from where i hit the deer and have time to pull over speeders when i was told by 911 that all units were busy and i would have to wait? Oh well i just though i would share.

Bri,

I think i agree with you alil, but not totaly...on one hand..they should have been alittle more involved....but on the other hand..Blame the City for not having the funding for having the staff needed to handle the amount of complaints they get....As i said before my best friend is a hartford cop....he's even told me they have no time or staff at all to even deal with stuff like traffic violation and petty theft crimes...with the staff they have, the need to classify things as priority and petty....think about....a guy gets stabbed in the head with a broken heineken bottle, or some kid got his stero stolen...which call you gonna get to first....

Its the cities fault for not having the staff to deal with the petty crimes, even though they are infact, crimes...They did what they thought was right based on the level of crime it was...but..being so dam close to the scene like 850 feet they coulda sent a car down, i mean bristol doesn;t have the highest crime rate.

exactly bristol isn't crime capitol usa. There is no reason that an officer couldn't respond, there is not exactly a murder everyday inthis town. granted other crimes take precidence over a car being broken into but come on what really ever happens in bristol? you can't tell me 3 officers are needed for a simple traffic violation. What it all boils down to is that this town is run by retards so until the bosses change nothin will ever change with petty crimes. don't ya think that if petty crimes were investigated more and things were solved that petty theft would go down??

Originally posted by neonmike@Feb 14 2005, 10:34 PM
exactly bristol isn't crime capitol usa. There is no reason that an officer couldn't respond, there is not exactly a murder everyday inthis town. granted other crimes take precidence over a car being broken into but come on what really ever happens in bristol? you can't tell me 3 officers are needed for a simple traffic violation. What it all boils down to is that this town is run by retards so until the bosses change nothin will ever change with petty crimes. don't ya think that if petty crimes were investigated more and things were solved that petty theft would go down??
[post=460952]Quoted post[/post]​

No, petty crimes will not go down....the % of recovered stolen items is slim to none....The fact is your asking a staff of 200 to protect and serve a city of 75000 ....you do the math.....And thats just bristol.....In 2000 Hartford had 9880 reported crimes with like a staff of 400...that would mean each person would have to investigate and solve 24 crimes a piece...thats askin the impossible...investigating, analysing and collecting data, interviewing supects, lab analysis, dna testing, finger prints etc.........all this stuff takes time...not to mention the paperwork involved...

Cops are also known as resources....you start using up resources on stolen tires...that leaves fewer to work on the guy with the rusted muffler metal stuck in his juggular..you see what i mean......Unless you up the staff..petty crimes will never be given more then a glance.....You up the city staff, you up the taxes....and people don;t wanna pay more taxes then we already do....

Unless with come up with Minoroty Report type technology.....then don't expect an officer to spent 3 month trying to find the guy who stole your tires

all i wanted was 5 min of their time... not 3 months of investigation.

2 min to look at the broken glass.
3 min to see if there were any prints.

none? cool- thanks.
print? sweet- run it through a computer and see if it comes up with anything.
nothing? ok thanks anyway.
lead? sweet- arrest his ass.

is that too much to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back