My PICS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
Hey guys, how many miles do coilovers typically last? I'm getting all sorts of funky noises from my suspension. Usually they occur during hard braking if there are a few braking bumps, sometimes when cornering, only sometimes though. I've jacked up the rear end but nothing seems to be lose or look broken. I'm sure that some of the noise comes from my sway bar because my endlinks are the spherical bearing ones, I just don't think that's what's causing all of it. Any suggestions? I've probably got 30-40k on my suspension setup... I'm sure that's quite a bit for aftermarket stuff but I'm not positive...

few variables...

mileage?
weather conditions?

up here in my area, daily driven full coilovers last about a year. thats with snowy weather.

chances are your noises are from rusted heim joint at the top, or dirt/grime/oil between the springs and seats, or better yet blown cartridges.

conditions will vary this.
pot holes, load, how low you went, camber/extra forces not normally applied from the base geometry, etc.

that said, i've never owned a car long enough to need new suspension :X

Did you replace your trailing arm bushings with urethane ones? I know that those can bind up because they don't have the same range of motion as the stock rubber ones.

Heim joint end links can get pretty noisey. Did you check to see if yours are loosening up?

I know its a completely different setup, but Ive got an adjustable panhard bar on my car with heim joints at each end, and about 10k on it. Its startin to get a little noisey over sudden bumps, and pot holes that sneak up on me. But, not during braking and typical cornering.

They have been daily driven, they've been from Seattle, WA to Cheyenne, WY to Minnesota, and back. I've got at least 50 autocross runs on them plus with the way I daily drive them I'm sure that hasn't been good for them. They've been through a winter of 5 inches of snow and I still drove around in that with chains on. So if you're wearing out a set a year, I'm guessing my set is probably worn out after 3 years. Time for new coilovers xD.

But yea, sometimes I get a noise where it goes DONG fairly loudly. Almost like something is binding and then it catches and its a lower frequency noise that lasts for a 1/2 a second or so.

That DONG sound is from the coil getting stuck and releasing

Have you gotten in there and checked for any binding?? I've only known the cheap sleeve type coilovers to do that

Id contact PIC... tell them what's happening and they can probably assist u

Sent them an email. I'd like to get this resolved sooner rather than later autocross season is starting soon and I'd like to attend as many as I can this season.

the manufacturer isnt going to do shit.

you guys dont realize that full coilovers are usually disclaimered for TRACK USE ONLY. take off your wheels, and CLEAN your damn suspension. its the only way.

GREASE points of contact. make sure your boots are intact. DO NOT let the heim joints go dry.

the manufacturer isnt going to do shit.

you guys dont realize that full coilovers are usually disclaimered for TRACK USE ONLY. take off your wheels, and CLEAN your damn suspension. its the only way.

GREASE points of contact. make sure your boots are intact. DO NOT let the heim joints go dry.

I'm honestly not sure what heim joints are... so if you could tell me or someone else could I appreciate it. A google search provides me with the response that a heim joint is the endlinks that I refer to, mine are of the spherical sort so where exactly would I apply grease to them at?

If anyone has any spare time could I get you to detail the places that would be where I would grease? What type of grease would I use?

In the meantime if I cannot elicit any responses I'll be googling for possible answers. Thanks for the help guys.

Back