My plan. CRX.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khrisb

I bumped into a compression calculator last night and started playing around.
I know I want to buy a 90-91 CRX Si. I played with different heads and pistons and whatnot and this is what I came up with.

D16A6 block
D16z6 head
JDM ZC pistons
D16Y8 2 layer head gasket

All that put together said about 13.25:1 CR. Would I be able to run this high on pump gas? We have 93 octane in S GA. Would all the parts fit together?
I'm not quite sure. Also, I know I yell at people for this all the time, but can anyone come up with a rough estimate on HP?

Any help or criticisms are apprectiated.

Chris

That's just a tad high to be running on pump gas. I know that the ZC pistons in a Z6 make the CR 12.5:1 or maybe 12.7:1. I'm guessing that the head gasket is increasing it beyond 13:1? Or maybe the D16a block. I'm not sure but I heard this combo will put down around 140-150 whp. Not bad for a single cam! And it's cheapo to boot.

Yeah this is just gonna get me around until I save up to build my B-series right.
I'm sick of the Stratus. I'm gonna sell it around tax time. Some poor fool will buy it.
Oh yeah. It's gonna be a white one. I want to find the "cool" crx interior too. The crx floor mats and door panel and all that. Shit will be pimp!

I know somebody else has an idea about this.

Bizzump!

I say don't even bother if you considering a swap down the road anyways. Keep her stock and then slap the B in there...

Milan

I'm bad at saving. I figure I can sell my current car, use the money to buy the Rex and do the minor swaps and pistons. It'd take me a while to save up too. I don't just want to swap it, I wanna have a built Gsr to pop into it. I'm talking about saving alot of money and have an engine built right. Not just swapping in a stock engine and then slowly building it.
And that's my plan!

Good luck man, I'm hoping to do the same thing withm my Eg.I have a crx to boot aroud rite now,but as soon as I sell it,its all for my swap.

all CRX have the CRX logo in the door, VERY few have it on the floor mats, my call. buy the CRX, save, then buy the B series.

My friend Bo has black interior in his Si. It is pimp as hell. I'm pretty sure he's got CRX mats. I know they said it on the door. It's painted like emerald green.
Shit's pretty fly.
My other friend had an 86 dx and it didn't say CRX anywhere.
I dunno.

Any other suggestions?

86 is a 1st gen, they dont say it. actually i think my friend has an 87 Si and it has it in the door. but meh. get an Si, i know they have it in the doors anyway.

I think you had some of your settings in the compression calculator wrong. I did the math on a D16 with Z6 head and DOHC ZC pistons, and the compression came out to 12.0:1 or 12.3:1.. nowhere near as high as 13.25:1. You don't want to run that kind of compression on factory cast pistons and pump gas anyway. You might get lucky on the tuning, but chances are that you'll have to run super rich or really retard timing to get it to behave. Don't use the two layer Y8 gasket- just use the standard gasket and keep your compression in the low 12s. You'll be a lot happier that way.

edit: im a retard :lol:

he was talking about how his CRX doesnt say "CRX" in the door.

what model is your CRX? as far as i know only the si's has "CRX" written on the door.

I did it again. I still got 13.25:1.

Still:
D16A6 block
D16Z6 head
JDM ZC pistons
D16Y8 2 layer head gasket
D16A6 OEM Piston to deck height

I forgot to mention the last one in my first post.
And the big question...Will all this stuff fit together? Will it all function properly?
Who knows!?!?
I don't...

i had an 89 si and a 91 si both with crx on doors and mats, get a si even though they cost more they are a better car then an hf or dx.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Sep 4 2003, 01:23 AM
edit: im a retard :lol:

he was talking about how his CRX doesnt say "CRX" in the door.

what model is your CRX? as far as i know only the si's has "CRX" written on the door.

yes i believe that is true about the door panels

I agree with you on buildng it right the first time on the GSR while it's out. I just think that you shouldn't be wasting any money on the high CR 1.6 motor, me personally I would keep everything stock just the way it ran for majority of it's life and then when I have the B motor done up properly swap that in, just my 2 cents.

Milan

if you want to be fast, buy an HF.... they already have the MPFI wiring, so you will only have to add 5 wires, tops... also, they are 200 pounds lighter then the SI... i have had several of both, and 3 dx's... if you want the sunroof... get the SI... but get a 90.5^ so you'll have the rear disks.... but for fast... go HF....

No, I really had my sight set on a 91 Si. White with black interior. Still trying to figure out if one exists...
I want to be able to actually drive the damn thing until I swap it. I can't do that in an HF. 62 hp! I'd be late for school every morning!
And yeah, I want rear disks. Drums are pissing me off!

Thanks for all the responses tho. I didn't get even one :newbie:
I'm impressed. You guys are slippin'!

Back