My R Block Has Arrived

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i can see why the B16a3's are expensive, they are almost more rare then the type R, but the GSR block would seam to be cheaper but the way you explain it, i guess i understand.

Chet, r you going to use the OEM head gasket or are you going to spend a little more and go with mugen or spoon for a tad higher compression?

Also, I wonder if there really is a diffrance from the prestones coolant and the Honda coolant.

asmallsol: i will be selling my b16 block complete with everything except the oil pump.
i'd prefer local pickup as well , so if you are interested let me know.

i am going to go .25mm over on the LS block w/ new .25 over pr3 pistons for around 11.3-11.5:1 cr w/ my milled head.

it will be interesting to compare my setup to adam's setup.

ls/vtec vs R block/b16a head.

i am using OEM honda headgasket, OEM honda timing belt, OEM honda everything.

i'm a big fan of OEM honda, and hondata will probably be the only non-oem part on my car when everything is said and done with.

similar setups have made 185whp, 140tq...and gone 13.2's @ around 106mph.

adam should make 175-180/135 i'm guessing. maybe more...with the compression he's at...

my compression will be 11:1, 10.8:1...somewhere in there...as i'm milling the head 20thousanths...

The R blocks are cheaper because Honda has produced more of them. So they can spread the cost of R & D plus the cost of intial setup to produce the parts they needed across many more parts. The same is true for any factory part.

as far as the coolant, i'm not really sure...

i just know i'm using OEM honda coolant from now on...

haha.

i will also be using...

OEM honda oil filter
OEM honda m/t fluid
Castrol GTX 10w-30
NGK Spark Plugs
Hondata Intake Manfold Gasket

Originally posted by 98integrals+Apr 18 2003, 06:15 AM-->
@Apr 18 2003, 05:35 AM
b18c1/ b18c5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> b18a / b18b

i disagree. the b18b has a higer displacement that the c1/5(like 37cc i think). personally i would get a 18b and then build it, but im biased because i have one ;)

The 37cc of extra displacement aren't worth quibbling over. Niether is the R'S ratio. I'd take an R bottom end in a heart beat, but the LSVTEC is a more cost effective build (with more power from the get go if done properly) for those of us lacking external funding for our cars.

for once i agree with lsvtec...

the extra displacement is NOT worth talking about.

the R block is far superior in everyway...and its assembled by honda. that means it won't lose compression after a year (like most motors do).

i will also make 190whp, 140 tq with this bottom end...and i challenge anyone here to build an ls/vtec that makes similar power and lasts for any amount of time.

Hmmmm yes. I missed this before. You got the SHORTBLOCK, not just the block.

$2050 for a factory direct Type R shortblock is NOT a bad price at all, then.

Mad Props, Yo.

And Chet. Kick Jason inthe ass and get him to find out where my wheels are at, now that it's been 2.5 months. :bash:

jody, i will ask jason tonight...as i had planned on calling him.

and yes, the block is fully assembled with EVERYTHING. oil pump, water pump, etc...etc.

Originally posted by chet@Apr 18 2003, 10:21 PM
for once i agree with lsvtec...

the extra displacement is NOT worth talking about.

the R block is far superior in everyway...and its assembled by honda. that means it won't lose compression after a year (like most motors do).

i will also make 190whp, 140 tq with this bottom end...and i challenge anyone here to build an ls/vtec that makes similar power and lasts for any amount of time.

You're on.

The power numbers are no problem. I would be surprised if my numbers weren't at least that with a little tuning. We'll see how long it stays this powerful.

The extra displacement is not worth mentioning, but the extra stroke is.

show me some dyno charts...i've seen an ls/vtec with 12.5:1 compression, endyn pistons, eagle rods, toda cams, toda valve springs, portflow retainers, tuned with chipped p28 and vafc make 192-136.

needless to say i wasn't that impressed, considering Kenji built this setup and he knows what he's doing...

i know there are others that have made more power...but they are few and far between...

That shortblock with a slightly shaved GSR head with valve springs, retainers, and some good cams would be 200 at the wheels, no problem.

Chet's car is gunna be badass. :)

Originally posted by chet@Apr 19 2003, 08:26 PM
show me some dyno charts...i've seen an ls/vtec with 12.5:1 compression, endyn pistons, eagle rods, toda cams, toda valve springs, portflow retainers, tuned with chipped p28 and vafc make 192-136.

needless to say i wasn't that impressed, considering Kenji built this setup and he knows what he's doing...

i know there are others that have made more power...but they are few and far between...

Isn't that typical. You see one LSVTEC turn less than impressive numbers and you assume they all do that. For instance I would bet money that for the same money you put into that bottom end and the same head and valve train you have, your friend Cory could build an LSVTEC that would make as much power if not more than your almost ITR.

I guess what I am trying to say is step back and realize that there is more than one good setup to put into a Honda. Just because you have it does not make it best.

As soon as I can afford a dyno trip (the nearest is 8 hours away) I'll be happy to show you the numbers. Some of us don't have parental sponsorships.

There is nothing pussy about the LS, chet just hates it because he doesn't have one. If you read any of his posts talking about a product, according to chet the only good parts (made by Honda or otherwise) are the ones he owns. The post on the H22 swap into the Civic chassis was a perfect example. He and a friend attempted to use Place Racing mounts and they turned out to be crap, but instead of concluding that Place Racing Mounts suck, he concluded that the H22 swap into a Civic sucks.

...and everyone who has built an ls/vtec would agree that gsr/type R blocks are more reliable.

now of course, ls/vtec's can make excellent power...and i think Cory has built like 8 of them. however they don't last and even he admits a GSR bottom end is much better.

and h22's don't belong in civics...despite that car being a mid 13 sec all motor beast when it was finished. their transmissions aren't as good and its simply not OEM honda.

sooner or later you will realize honda knows what they are doing better than almost anyone else...just like toyota knows their products better than anyone else...and every other car maker...for that matter.

i almost purchased an ls/vtec to throw in as a temporary solution to my torqueless b16a3...however i didn't feel quite right about kenji's 12.5:1 ls/vtec and things just didn't work out. obviously...any motor can be built to make power...and it just comes down to how much money you want to spend...

jeff at import builders makes great power with his ls/vtec's...and cory went 11's in his all motor ls/vtec crx...i don't like them because of their design.

b16a3 RIP!

s3ea5b9c635c5d.jpg

s3ea5bb4483d6f.jpg

Back